Author Topic: Takuma LOL v KUJIRA  (Read 6769 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Takuma LOL v KUJIRA
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
Just picked up my new Kujira wings , so different from the LOL's . Don't get caught up in the numbers and think they are too small the 980 has just as much lift as the 1300 , haven't tried the others yet. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:21:25 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Takuma LOL v KUJIRA
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
This is very interesting to me, thanks for sharing.

From the videos and reports I have heard it seems like the 980 has way more lift than its stated area.  Do the whale flukes make it difficult or different to measure and get an apples to apples lift comparison?

Any other wings you can compare the top end lift limit to?  The gofoil kai? 

Watching your tow video I couldn't get a feel for how big the faces were.  Watching the Progression Project videos Erik is in tiny surf and seems like he has plenty of lift on the 980.

I am looking for a mid-high aspect wing with less lift.  I have both high and low aspect wings around 1250 area and they both have a similar top end limit/red line where they become difficult to keep down and in the water.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Foilthegorge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
Piros thanks for the great photos. Interested in hearing a report as you get some time on these new wings.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
I got all this feedback from other owners about shimming the back of the mast plate on the board , so I decided to try myself . After couple of days testing this is how I'm riding the 980 & 1210 . Ended up 7mm shim 980 , 3mm 1210 , it had stupid lift with the 7mm wedge . Need a smaller tail for 1210 as well , it's 930 wide and feels big . It's a huge jump from the 980 to the 1210 like going from the 1300 to 1600 LOL bit of a handful at first but incredible glide and pump . Conditions were really bad so not too much hard carving turns going on so school is still out if the 1210 is still a surf wing . The turned up wings tips are stupid sharp , I'm definitely dulling the tips .

I'm shimming the back of the mast plate and it completely changes the angle of attack ( which is really flat ) of the front wing , you feel it instantly, way more pump and glide , doesn't slow it down at all I tested this endlessly all weekend with a 3 hour session today coming in and changing set ups 6 times . No it does not alter the way the board sits , wedging at the front probably would . ( I'm talking prones not Sups ) Is it a mistake byTakuma , no idea but it's a pretty simple fix if it is .
Von Piros Productions

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 04:39:13 AM »
Piros - not sure I'm understanding the effect of the shimmying you are doing? If you shimmy the mast-plate you change angle of attack in relation to board - I don't understand how this affects pump and glide once up and foiling? Unless it's to alleviate nose-down board or similar?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate more info on these wings.

My (talking out of my butt) understanding is the angle of incidence on the front wing is lower or less lift then most wings.  And since the fuse is a tapered fit the simple way to change is mast wedging.  Pumpers tend to like a more springy or bouncy feel.  Since I'm not after a pump wing I'm wondering if I might like this foil stock?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »
Piros - not sure I'm understanding the effect of the shimmying you are doing? If you shimmy the mast-plate you change angle of attack in relation to board - I don't understand how this affects pump and glide once up and foiling? Unless it's to alleviate nose-down board or similar?

I know it sounds weird and I wasn't sure until I tried it myself. I'm talking about a 4-6 prone board not a Sup . I'm still riding the board flat , it does not trim the board when I'm surfing or gliding across a dead section my board is parallel to the water. Clay pretty well hit it on the head the pump ability just becomes so much easier and more lift on take off.  Cyril from Takuma says that angle at the board is better with a shim . You can find a more active position.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 03:53:22 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions

Foilthegorge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
Piros , I read that the 980 and 1210 come with a 220 tail and the 1440 comes with a 240 tail. You said the tail on the 1210 felt too big so it must not have been the same tail as you had on the 980. Maybe was the larger 240 tail?
Also you are clarifying that you are shimming the mast on a prone board not a SUP so would a SUP not need the shims  or you just saying you didn’t test that so don’t know what size shim would be right for a SUP.
Thanks

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 09:13:20 PM »

I know it sounds weird and I wasn't sure until I tried it myself. I'm talking about a 4-6 prone board not a Sup . I'm still riding the board flat , it does not trim the board when I'm surfing or gliding across a dead section my board is parallel to the water. Clay pretty well hit it on the head the pump ability just becomes so much easier and more lift on take off.  Cyril from Takuma says that angle at the board is better with a shim . You can find a more active position.

Ok - you are referring to the angle of the board in relation to foil. It can affect take-off (on SUP foilboards as well) if it is too nose-up the foil is actually pulling board down onto surface of water causing drag until you break loose and have lift-off. While in flight I find that balancing angle of board and swing weight can have quite significant impact on how the pump action translates into foil.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »
PerterP shimming the mast on a prone does not affect the board angle but I haven't tried these on a Sup . Re the tails I helped unpack the shop delivery of all the Kujiras there is only one tail the 210 , each wing comes with it's own suitcase style bag with foam cut inserts, the 1440 cut out for the tail will only fit a 210. So no I wasn't using a 240 and doesn't look like they don't need it , going by the lift of 1210. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:06:17 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 01:15:56 AM »
OK sorry to do this to everyone who is out there shimming the mast to 7mm on the Kujira 980 . I rode it today ( 4-6 prone) in clean shoulder high waves at Kirra with alot of wave energy . First wave was such a handful I was all over the shop , so different to the 1ft mush I did all the testing in. It was still a half mile ride but it wasn't pretty , just so much lift and when I rolled off the back to link the one behind I was skating on the surface , an incredible amount of carry and almost didn't need to pump but I was in survival mode riding at almost full mast the whole wave. I went in and changed the shim to the Takuma production rubber shim ( apx 2mm to 3mm I'm guessing 1-degree angle) and bumped the mast back . So much better but still found I was getting too much lift from the Takuma 210 tail when I was going top to bottom on the wave you could feel the tail break the surface.

Came in again and put on my cut down 13.5" flat Uni tail which I use on my 1300 LOL and boom I was away it felt unreal so much more control and lost no pump. So for me this is the combo . I'm still settling into the 980 and blown away by the way this small wing carries my 88kg. Not saying yet it's the best wing I've ridden but for it's size it's pretty damn amazing. Uni , Signature tails screw straight onto the Takuma and I'm going to order a Kane de Wilde custom 13.5". I'm not going to attempt to chop shop the Takuma 210 tail just too much going with the lumps and bumps plus the tips I would wreck it , I'll keep it as is for smaller days. Great swell all weekend so plenty more testing to come.
Von Piros Productions

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal