Author Topic: Where is a good place to get a paddle near Solana Beach?  (Read 1617 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Where is a good place to get a paddle near Solana Beach?
« on: December 08, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »
We got a bit of size today but it was straight in, from the west. Nicely overhead, and it would have been tasty on a reef break. For shore break, it was a bit much. I thought we'd have wind this morning so I was pumped--it didn't show. I tried to foil at Cardiff riverfront but got major-league denied, couldn't get out. So I cruised south. Ran into Tom at Sunset Cliffs and had a nice chat. I considered the situation for a while and decided my board and foil would never look the same if I tried it. I wound up at Cardiff in the afternoon. Had a tough standard SUP session that ended with this: Earned while scratching for a nicely overhead wave. I suddenly had no paddle power when I really needed it. I got the shit pounded out of me by the wave I was trying to make and it's bigger brother behind it. Yeah, the old girl had a few zillion miles on it. I think I hit my foil wing with it in the morning and probably pre-cracked it, Sure was disappointing having no go-power with an overhead wave blotting out the sun.

So now I need a paddle. Where do I go?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:35:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Where is a good place to get a paddle near Solana Beach?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »
Disco's Paddle Surf, a 'mere' 25 mile straight shot on I-5 to Point Loma.  Used to be named 'OEX'. I recently got an email saying the ownership changed but the staff remains unchanged.  I rented (week long) a board there last year and found it to be a sup surf bastion (oasis?) with some good board and paddle lines.  I rented an Infinity board and a Black Project paddle, so not bad.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:08:54 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where is a good place to get a paddle near Solana Beach?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
Thanks. On Lee Murray's recommendation, I got a keNalu blade at Paddle Planet in Leucadia. Nice little shop that happened to have three blades left over from previously carrying Ke Nalu. So I got back to paddling cheaply.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal