Author Topic: December Warmth  (Read 2211 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
December Warmth
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
Light offshores, full sun, 50F water, and 65F air (which is very warm for December here in new Jersey) had quite a few on it yesterday (12/13/2020) taking advantage of the unusually warm conditions. Went with my 4/3 Xterra full, 3mil Xcel boots and five finger glovies, no hood. Took a couple on the head and endured a coupla minor ice cream headaches. All that looks to change by the weekend as the forecast has us enduring a major nor-easter with the possibility of snow!

December Heat
https://app.soloshot.com/video/838175e6-0bd2-471d-b0f8-84f17f0a99ed

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:06:34 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: December Warmth
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
Awesome looking pics cookie!!

I'm always amazed (and envious) of some of the waves you post from NJ. We think of SoCal waves and breaks being "world class" as they try to sell them, but at many of our spots, we never get anything a pretty looking as what you show as yours so very often.

But if it's takes 50o water temp to get 'em....I'm good with what we have, and still going out in just sleeves when it's "really cold" here (trunked it last Tuesday still, but think those days are coming to an end quickly now :D :( ).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
Similar conditions up here in northern NJ if not a bit cleaner here. I wore an old Patagonia with the merino wool that now has leaky seems so I kept my hood on.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:03:31 AM »
Similar conditions up here in northern NJ if not a bit cleaner here. I wore an old Patagonia with the merino wool that now has leaky seems so I kept my hood on.

From comments I see online those old Patagonia suits with wool are now precious items. I had one for the cold Oregon conditions and couldn't stand it, even in winter with snow on the beach. Too hot. I had to jump in the water every few minutes just to not have my hair ignite. Now that I'm a bit skinnier I wouldn't mind having that thing back. I still have most of my old wetsuits--at least the ones I didn't cut up to make covers out of. But I gave that one away. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
Hoodless was the call. Such a beautiful day on the water!

Dog days of winter are ahead of us. I have such a love hate relationship with winter surfing. I always look forward to it and I always look forward to when it is over. But bring it on!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 04:06:30 PM »
Go get them while you can Cookie. :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal