Author Topic: eFoiling on Mission Bay  (Read 2425 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
eFoiling on Mission Bay
« on: December 12, 2020, 07:09:53 PM »
A damn cold day in SoCal. I wore my 4/3 with a hood to keep my ears from freezing. This is my takeoff spot, I came back in to this little bay so Diane could shoot a little video. I throttled back to the minimum required to stay up so I wouldn't whack any boats. I'm going to have to switch to a waist leash to keep that long leash out of the water and remind myself to suck in my gut. I'm down to 210--no reason for that other than I need to do some crunches.

https://youtu.be/bpshrAUzMYY
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: eFoiling on Mission Bay
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
Looking good Pono. You've jumped to YouTuber overnight! Diane did a good job too:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
I started wind winging in that bay. I think it’s a cool feature for a town. Next time take your wife to the catamaran for lunch and you can go play while she has a nice outdoor spot to hang. It’s a family favorite.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Very cool Bill, you picked that up pretty quickly! Guess I'm finally going to have to put mine in the water somewhere and try it. ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
I paid a little bit of dues, but for anyone who foils as well as you do, it will be quick.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 07:48:06 PM »
Yeah, it’s the easiest kind of foiling and you’ll be bummed you didn’t ride one earlier. I have spent maybe 2 hours total on one and it took me from “hang on” to comfortable level flight and tenuous turns. I now tell everyone who asks to rent one early in the progression.

I agree with Pono, you will jump forward. Can’t wait to see what moves you come up with. With no paddle you can get that sweet rail grab with either hand.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:23:23 PM »
That looks pretty fun actually!
For the wingers here it seems like the absolute perfect way to learn to foil "wrong foot forward"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
I agree with Pono, you will jump forward. Can’t wait to see what moves you come up with. With no paddle you can get that sweet rail grab with either hand.

If I could do a rail grab I'd be on a shortboard and a prone foil. I'm working on it, I can get my hand within two feet of the rail, or one foot eleven inches if I do my version of a deep knee bend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal