Author Topic: Foiling teaches me to be a better surfer  (Read 1964 times)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Foiling teaches me to be a better surfer
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:24:20 PM »
Team, Foilers,

I am a better surfer because I foil.

Went out for a regular surf session the other day because it was too big to foil. I have spent the majority of my surf sessions over the last 2 years foiling. Every time I go back and surf I am a little rusty but I do find myself using little techniques I use foiling to catch waves and smack harder.

Here are some of the little things I do regular surfing that I learned foiling, that help me rock without a foil. Its a great feeling. My secret foil powers.

• Unweight the board more on takeoff attempts
  • Pump and unweight the board along the ride, more
  • Charge already broken waves, and catch them
  • Keep my feet more down the stringer line
  • I feel like I look around more once on the wave to asses/choose my line

What have you learned from foiling that helps you regular surf(sup or prone)?

-red

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foiling teaches me to be a better surfer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »
My Huntington hop when the wave goes flat has really improved!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:26:47 AM »
Good post, Red.  Definitely improves late takeoffs given that we foil smaller boards and not to mention surfing feels like it is in slow motion after foiling thus improving reaction time and top to bottom surfing! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:06:30 AM »
I don't know about this guys. I SUP surfed yesterday and spent the first ten or so waves pearling because I was putting too much weight on my front foot. I got back into it after that and had a good session. It's probably just because I'm a geezer, but I've found that SUP surfing screwed with my foiling and foil surfing screwed with my SUP surfing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 02:20:17 PM »
I haven’t prone surfed in 13 years but I too have noticed that I keep my eyes up and ahead way more after foiling for 2 years. I also am more willing to catch broken waves. My balance is probably better overall, but it gets jacked up every time I switch between the foil and an SUP. It takes a solid 30-60 minutes to get back into the feel of SUP. Mainly because my habits have changed to accommodate foiling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal