Author Topic: ENSIS wings folding/packup  (Read 2592 times)

Mario_Wings

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ENSIS wings folding/packup
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

Just looking for some advice on the best way to fold and pack the wings after a session . . . once they have dried.

At the moment, I start from each wingtip folding parallel to the centre strut and then fold three times from the tip of the strut to the centre of the LE

I saw a vid of Balz that does it differently by folding wing in half then folding from each wingtip folding parallel to the centre strut.

How are you guys doing it?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: ENSIS wings folding/packup
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
This way. It’s been the kiting standard for years.

Only difference (at the end of the video) is I fold the Ensis several times.

https://youtu.be/Srq8TpyyICM

The air escapes so well from the valve, I don’t bother pre-squeezing the center strut, like you must on many other wings. I just fold the Ensis and air evacuates the center strut as I fold it.

Really happy with how fast it packs up and fits in the bag. I think the valve working so well, contributes to it fitting easy in the bag.

If anybody wants an Ensis video, I can make one tomorrow
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:05:15 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 12:21:12 AM »
I do it Balz’ way. Mike

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 08:15:06 AM »
If anybody wants an Ensis video, I can make one tomorrow

Yes please.  More video content.  And please let us know how much better the Ensis wings are than the other stuff.  Things are moving so fast I haven't even been able to make a carbon boom for my Duotone yet.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »
Regarding how it compares to what you own Beasho (SS v2 and Echo).

More draft stability. Higher upwind angles. Better balanced handling. More wind range. Better low end. Love the handles. The 6m Ensis is odd man out. It handles slightly different in the very lightest wind. I run over the wing tip sometimes, trying too hard pumping. That doesn’t ever happen with the other sizes.

https://youtu.be/sl17OnaDRCs

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the packing up video -- wow!  It packs up fast and small (makes packing up my 6 metre wasp look like slow motion).   :-\

So, what's up with the 6 metre?  Is it worth buying as a light wind wing or would something like an Echo (seven metre) or the big Air Rush be a better bet?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the packing up video -- wow!  It packs up fast and small (makes packing up my 6 metre wasp look like slow motion).   :-\

So, what's up with the 6 metre?  Is it worth buying as a light wind wing or would something like an Echo (seven metre) or the big Air Rush be a better bet?

I figure I’ll learn with more time on the 6 and it won’t happen anymore. Just letting people know the 6m is different than the rest. The challenge of making big sizes. Where do you put the extra area.

It packs up fast because the center strut has two rubber hoses on it. Both big fat ones. Routed smart, no kinking. Air flows in and out really fast. It inflates fast too. Good valves all the way around.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:41:15 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »

More draft stability. Higher upwind angles. Better balanced handling. More wind range. Better low end. Love the handles. The 6m Ensis is odd man out. It handles slightly different in the very lightest wind. I run over the wing tip sometimes, trying too hard pumping. That doesn’t ever happen with the other sizes.

::)  So you're saying its better!

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

https://youtu.be/sl17OnaDRCs
Have to agree on the wingtip issue with the 6m thought it was just me with my height especially in lighter winds, however I’ve adapted a bit on my pumping technique on the 6m to try to lesson the wingtip incidents but definitely annoying when it does happen otherwise it’s a great wing really like the the solid power from the tight canopy,and its flying characteristics with front handle wave riding,and the handles are happening IMO.However it’s  still it’s a nice wing besides that wingtip issue,I have a 6m starboard/airush which I have to admit they did a great job designing the 6m and 7m wings as I hardly ever have wingtip issues with them for bigger wing class,but the solid tight canopy of the ensis is real nice for me if somehow I could have the traits of both of these 6m wings and combine them that would be the ultimate 6m wing for me.I might have to try the 5.2 Ensis sounds like a excellent wing.if it wasn’t for the wingtip issue on my 6m ensis it would definitely be the best 6m out there these days IMO just a few refinements for next gen and it will be the go to 6m wing
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:13:43 PM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal