Author Topic: Wing surface finish  (Read 6787 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing surface finish
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »
I've bookmarked this thread under: "Who to buy gear from"...and all I can say is that, if/when I see a classified ad posted by admin; I've been know to start an "I'll take it!!" PM...before I even look to see what it is he has up for sale or whether I need it or not, and haven't been disappointed yet. ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 03:05:34 AM »
Honestly, the way that Bill has been trenching at both the Event Site and at Swell City, you would think that he worked for the Army Core of Engineers.  When someone on the beach says, "holy shit, that guy just grounded himself!" I don't even have to turn around to see who it was.  He's one part whirlwind, 2 parts catstrophe...but he's always ready to go and there is a lot to be said for that.

No idea why I am Irish eulogizing Bill here.  He's barely 90, and he clearly has a lot of steam left in him.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
I'm scratching up and chopping up my wings all the time. You do feel the minor damage more on a small light prone board and not so much on the ding or Sup. I've got a local surf spot with a section we call no mans land , if you go for the mega pump and try link through this section and don't make it you have a 200 to 300 yard paddle in. This is where you can feel drag with your lungs hanging out and the foil not picking up enough swell energy as you scratch arcoss the foil desert towards the bump 150 yards away. I don't repair all my scratches but always keep 600 & 800 grit wet n dry in my truck and unless it's really bad that's all I do and yes I can feel it afterwards getting rid of the sharp ridges and shallowing out the scratches.   
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 12:37:16 AM »
I think we've got two types of people here :)

A buddy passed my his brand new iPhone recently.  The thing already had a multi-fractured screen, looked like he had wiped it down with a sausage, and there was something stuck to it that I am pretty sure was a boogie. He was showing it off with the greatest of joy while I was looking around for a hand wipe. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
I'm not dead yet.

I miss Monte Python though.

It's a good thing I have a wife whose clean-freakery approaches the OCD level of Admin. She brought her vacuum cleaner along on our SoCal stay because she doesn't trust that the rental houses we're staying at have an adequate machine. I'm typing this wearing a flannel shirt with an easily located sticky spot (it's honey, I think) in general my life gets sanitized frequently, apparently by elves. I mention this only to visualize Admin shuddering.

My cavalier attitude towards equipment condition stems from a delusion that I can fix anything. It's partly true, though my success rate falls short of 100 percent as a collection of iPhones and iPads that didn't survive my ministrations attests. Cracked screens and battery replacements are easy, deeper dives are probably 30 percent successful. I'm also unbearably klutzy. And lazy. But I do make my bed. Sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
My first Naish foil I bent the fuselage, the tail connection was a weak spot on those. After getting no response from Naish I just took a hammer to it and straightened it to look straight. Never put a straight edge on it or anything. Rode it for another year before I sold it.

That kind of showed me, we don't need to be riding perfect equipment.

What's the story of Occy's, or maybe Tom Curren's magic board and the fins were set incorrectly. :) 

Also I did wetsand my wing the other day. Yeah, it made no difference. So thanks for wasting my time Jondrums!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 06:53:19 PM »
Whelp - I fell down the stairs getting in the water this morning, which tore up the NL winglet on one side.  Had a great session but then again it was totally jumbly and backwashy, so very hard to tell if there is anything wrong with the wing.  I'll epoxy it back up and get it pristine again just because I need some time alone in the garage tonight for my own sanity.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal