Author Topic: What's your favorite flatwater workout ?  (Read 11286 times)

Kip

Re: What's your favorite flatwater workout ?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »
You can't maintain 5+ mph without a hyper focus on your stroke. Streamlined and efficient with every stroke maintains that speed. My GPS is a cheap TomTom running watch. I start it and go. I don't look at it at all. Afterwards I upload it and check to see how close I was to maintaining my speed. I don't do this every session, because they all start looking the same. Years of doing that has trained me to know almost intuitively how fast I'm going. Of course wind and conditions will cause things to change, but the harbor I flat water train in is fairly protected and almost always calm.

Agreed! I got mad at my GPS the other day and ran it over with my truck so now I don’t really know how fast I’m going haha BUT I was finding that I was only marginally faster on my 21” board because I was focusing more on balance than I could on my stroke. Most of my 60 to 90 min paddles are between 5.2 and 5.4 mph on both boards. Really hoping to get to that 6mph average after a winter of base paddling and strength work ! Technique has improved by leaps and bounds since I started, so just gotta keep working on it. Also a day with zero wind would be really really nice. Seems like even a light breeze throws a wrench in my average pace.

Thanks for sharing some of your workouts and tips ! This stuff is so fun  8)
The wobble means you've gone too narrow... for your skill set. I reached that point as well which I chronicled in this attached thread... It shows my GPS workouts.  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31913.msg355952.html#msg355952

For my currentskill set  ;)
I get less and less wobble the more I ride it.
Now, if I can get big enough balls to ride it more often when it’s 40 and raining haha

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »
Thanks for that Kip, I appreciate your words!

I totally agree with what you said:
" To me there’s almost nothing better than coming home gassed from a workout and seeing improvements over weeks and months and years."

I didn't mention.... but the surf is where I push myself at all times, always looking to improve and always surfing as hard as I can, till I can't stand any longer.
I do not have a "off" button where waves are concerned, so it is not work, it is pure passion  ;D

TD:
You have kept the hammer down on distance training as long as anyone, so awesome to follow!
It is not easy to take the foot off the gas and enjoy the slow lane, so I am glad to read that you are enjoying both paces.

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
To answer the question of what boards it is my signature but for Wednesday, Friday and Sunday I’m on my 23 inch wide self built hollow wood board, heavy but efficient hull, which I can do 5.8 mph average for 10k no problem. The other days are my 20.75 Sprint which I can hold over 6.1 for 10k. I used to have a 2018 Whiplash 14*25 but that I could hold 5.6-5.7 with no issue.

I find my speed is pretty well dictated by conditions and my cadence if I’m fast cruising I’ll hold about 53 SPM and when pushing it I’ll hit 60-65 SPM and sprints are 80-95 SPM. I find a fast cadence helps keep the board moving and I do not have to accelerate as much at the start of my next stroke. To get there my return is lightning fast but my power stroke is board speed.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Kip

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »
To answer the question of what boards it is my signature but for Wednesday, Friday and Sunday I’m on my 23 inch wide self built hollow wood board, heavy but efficient hull, which I can do 5.8 mph average for 10k no problem. The other days are my 20.75 Sprint which I can hold over 6.1 for 10k. I used to have a 2018 Whiplash 14*25 but that I could hold 5.6-5.7 with no issue.

I find my speed is pretty well dictated by conditions and my cadence if I’m fast cruising I’ll hold about 53 SPM and when pushing it I’ll hit 60-65 SPM and sprints are 80-95 SPM. I find a fast cadence helps keep the board moving and I do not have to accelerate as much at the start of my next stroke. To get there my return is lightning fast but my power stroke is board speed.

Smokin’ on that Starboard !

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks

I occasionally train with Larry Cain who has the exact same board and he kicks my butt even at my full speed so it is all relative I guess.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »
Thanks. I was wondering if you did those speeds on the Clearwood board. How do you find the heavier board. Obviuosly harder to get up to speed but how is it once you are at speed.
 How does it compare stability wise.
 I am thinking about going narrower but as mentioned here no point going too narrow and getting the wobbles.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »
I know this might appear to be a smartass answer.... but that is not my intent.
I am all for workouts on SUP... but wanted to give mention my approach for viewers who might be overwhelmed by the intense workouts you folks do.

I do not train or "workout" on my SUP. If I did, I would have quit long ago.
For 10 years I have enjoyed the hell out of casual paddling at a slow, sometimes snails pace..... but I AM paddling.
I go the same 6 miles as many do in "training"mode... but I take longer.
6 miles is 6 miles. 2.5 or 3 hours instead on 90 minutes.

My lungs may not be getting a strenuous cardio workout.... but I am out there all the time, when not surfing.
Mind and soul get an amazing amount of healing and satisfaction from these trips along the edges.... and I guarantee that there are great benefits for my heart as well.
The slow paddle keeps me moving and fit compared to many friends my age.

I listen to nature, not headphones.
My eyes take in everything at my slow pace.

Why am I putting this on a "workout" thread?
Because I figure the goal of working out is to improve health and body conditioning.

10 years into this and I have seen almost ALL of the "fast" crowd around me, tire of working out and slip away from paddling completely.
While I keep plugging along, exploring the marshes and creeks.
I paddle out in 20 degrees to catch a sunrise... my love for exploration and discovery keeps me paddling.

I have gone from 305 lbs to 203.
Covid lockdowns had bumped me up to over 234, but I am heading back down.

At 72, my doctors can't find anything to medicate.

My point is:
simply by enjoying casual paddling, I stay stoked and active over the long term, which has meaningful health benefits.

If my buddies on raceboards want to paddle with me, I slow them down to my pace and they love it   ;D

I'm more SuptheCreek than Talltude - but I have begun to find I can maintain 5mph if I focus on stroke and form better than when I tried to pay attention to the GPS and maximize speed - when I push to 5.5/5.7mph, I run out of gas, I slow down, my averages are lower, I'm exhausted - and sometimes I injure myself - my left elbow has a very painful click, some sort of torn cartilage from pushing hard in bad weather last summer. I do really well if I am more in the moment and less on the gps. My 14'x28" Starboard inflatable is not a speed demon but still does the creeks, lakes and open ocean ok. So for me with limited time I just make sure I enjoy an hour at a time several times a week till the water freezes up again. I've gone from 289 to 252 this year - finally :D . To make sure I have fun I usually bring my 'lil friend

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal