Author Topic: NEW KENALU PADDLE!  (Read 4428 times)

Kip

NEW KENALU PADDLE!
« on: December 04, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »
Just wanted to post this because I’m STOKED !

Haven’t paddle it yet, but the quality seems outstanding.

74 sq in.
XTuf shaft might have a bit too much flex for my flatwater days, but can always swap that out. Got this for $249 instead of $335 so couldn’t pass it up  8)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEW KENALU PADDLE!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »
Once you paddle that with all the flex you will love it. That's the same one I have, and I've never looked for another paddle since. Mine has hundreds of miles on it, and it still is in perfect shape. So nice on the shoulders. I don't use it for surfing because I beat up my surfing paddles. I use them like a walking stick went I walk across the reef.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:59:39 PM »
Stoked for you. I miss my Ke Nalu (lost it, long story). Bought a Werner Rip Stick to replace it. It's a good paddle but I should have just bought another Ke Nalu, doh!
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Kip

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »
Once you paddle that with all the flex you will love it. That's the same one I have, and I've never looked for another paddle since. Mine has hundreds of miles on it, and it still is in perfect shape. So nice on the shoulders. I don't use it for surfing because I beat up my surfing paddles. I use them like a walking stick went I walk across the reef.
That’s awesome to hear brother !
I’m heading out the door to shred it  8)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »
That's a great choice Kip! As I've posted in the past, KeNalu is the only paddle I'll take to the water with me.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Kip

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
This thing kicks ass !

Feels so smooth and quick!

I also like the flex of the Xtuf. It just feels really nice. Would highly recommend these to anybody lookin’ !

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 05:13:17 PM »
If you like the xTuf you'll LOVE the xtuf(S).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Kip

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
If you like the xTuf you'll LOVE the xtuf(S).

Well I guess I know what’s next after I snag this Bark Vapor Ghost !

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »
I ordered the same exact paddle 2 days ago. 
Have had a Ho'oloa 84 (xtuf) for a few years and been happy.   I had a pulled muscle injury at the front end of east coast hurricane season this year and didn't want to stop surfing.   I took an old fiberglass adjustable paddle and wittled down the surface area to get me smaller than my 84 by a size.  It helped alot.  I didn't notice a downside to less area.   

So going for the wiki74.

JP

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
how did you score such a good deal?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
Being able to go down a size or two is a good indication that either your stroke is getting better or you're a lot weaker. I doubt it's the latter. If you stuff a big blade in the water haphazardly and pull on it while it's still going into the water (as most paddlers do in the first year of paddling if they don't get instruction) then the blade has air on its face and probably isn't fully in the water. As your stroke improves that big blade is too big and starts hurting if you pull on it hard enough. Really good paddlers can make anything work--Big, small, flat blades, dihedral, wings, whatever. But that's the Danny Ching, Dave Kalama, etc level. Fakers like me need all the help we can get.

I studied this stuff fairly carefully--that's what I do since I'm not likely to improve on my athleticism. Like any dynamic system in two media (air and water) it's complex as hell, but small as you can manage is a good direction.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal