Author Topic: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 12'6" gun - something a little special  (Read 15785 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 12'6" gun - something a little special
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
I did try one board of theirs where the handle was a tiny bit out. It certainly didn’t stop me using it, and was fine if I carried the board with the nose pointing down and hand at the back of the handle. But my current two Hypr guns have handles that are perfect, and none of them have any sharp edges, so I suspect that you are just unlucky there. Maybe a few moments with a piece of sandpaper will solve the problem.

I’ve owned multiple boards by most of the main brands over the last 12-13 years, and had handles that are not perfect from nearly all of them at one time or another. It’s a problem with boards being hand-shaped, as they nearly all currently are. And since Hypr have in the past, I believe, sold some boards which don’t have deck pads - to show off the amazing hardwood construction to best effect - maybe you got one which was perfectly balanced around the handle before the deck pad was applied.

Wait until you get your board in the surf. The speed and wave-catching ability will totally blow you away.

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:36 AM »
Cheers A10 and no the handle is not a massive issue, a slight hindrance given that I sometimes need to carry a board a bit of distance to the beach. I've used carry straps in the past for that as well but found they break etc.

Yes, I'll sort the sharp edge on the handle with a little bit of filing and some sandpaper. It's not massively out, just enough that you can feel the difference across your fingers. To be honest I'm more concerned about the length when carrying it. I'm clumsy.

Yes I'm hoping for some 1 footers now but since I've got this board I've put the kibosh for a little while. Maybe mid week, we'll see, but even more practice on the board will do no harm, especially in turning it. I'll probably have to crack the step back turn to get it round quickly. I obviously cant comment on how it carves on a wave but it is really easy to bury the rail. 

As a side note I also took my 5 year old on it and we covered some distance, complete with a fishing rod. Had a few small Pollack to make things a little more interesting. Point to note is that I consider myself to be a novice paddler and my 5 year old is understandable nervous. Yet I was able to stand behind him and paddle with no issues, provided we stayed in the  flat stuff. I can only describe the stability as bizarre. You can lean over on it, sink the rail but the board still feels planted.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2019, 07:22:32 AM »
Yes, the stability is gobsmacking. They have really discovered how to make a narrow board stable. It is rumoured that they will bring out a 14x26 soon, with a design along the lines of these gun shapes. It could be truly awesome. The 12-6 gun is really great, but at 29” wide it is perhaps almost more stable than it needs to be. 28” in this design at that length would probably still have been fine for most people. The main issue is getting people to believe how stable it will be! Many would look at a 11-6x28.5 low volume board and say “it will be too tippy for me”. But it’s actually more stable than my 10x30 Stylemaster. Probably even than my 160L 10-6x30 Naish Nalu.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2019, 07:36:36 AM »
Yes, the stability is gobsmacking. They have really discovered how to make a narrow board stable.

Well, Starboard new breakthrough innovation is a 20.5" board with
a double concave. You think they might have tuned-in to this thread?
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »
Yes, the stability is gobsmacking. They have really discovered how to make a narrow board stable.

Given that Starboard IMO tend to rip off anyone’s idea as soon as they think they can make a buck out of it, then I wouldn’t be surprised :)

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 12:34:30 AM »
Yes, the stability is gobsmacking. They have really discovered how to make a narrow board stable. It is rumoured that they will bring out a 14x26 soon, with a design along the lines of these gun shapes. It could be truly awesome. The 12-6 gun is really great, but at 29” wide it is perhaps almost more stable than it needs to be. 28” in this design at that length would probably still have been fine for most people. The main issue is getting people to believe how stable it will be! Many would look at a 11-6x28.5 low volume board and say “it will be too tippy for me”. But it’s actually more stable than my 10x30 Stylemaster. Probably even than my 160L 10-6x30 Naish Nalu.

I must admit I would have never gone for this board at all given the size and width in particular. Just need some dribbles now to see how it picks things up and see if I'll be able to turn it.

I think the big thing for me is that I now have a board that opens the door for lots of stuff and will be easy to partner with a smaller surf specific board later on. This will be used for pretty much everything apart from conditions that demand something short and really whippy. I'm a long way off that level though so this will do nicely until then and will probably even be usable in those conditions to a degree.

RRD have also had a couple of boards some time with deep concaves. They also have one which has 4 (I think) but it's a real dining room table of a board. They certainly help to create speed so perhaps the Starboard is going to be a race board?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 07:19:36 AM »
... so perhaps the Starboard is going to be a race board?

Yes it is
in progress...

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 09:49:13 PM »

It's super reassuring to read this. If all goes as planned, I'll be stepping onto a 12'6 x 27.5 HYPR Gun in about a week. I've been outta the SUP game for a while, but maybe I've finally stumbled upon the board to make my offshore surfari fantasies a reality?! YEA BUD!
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2020, 07:16:07 AM »

It's super reassuring to read this. If all goes as planned, I'll be stepping onto a 12'6 x 27.5 HYPR Gun in about a week. I've been outta the SUP game for a while, but maybe I've finally stumbled upon the board to make my offshore surfari fantasies a reality?! YEA BUD!

I've had the 10'6 X 28" Hypr Gun since May and I absolutely love it. If I could afford the 12'6 I would own that too.

I'm very happy with the stability for such a narrow board. Choppy surf can be a bit challenging for me on this board but I'm 63 and my balance isn't what it used to be. On clean days it catches outside waves like a dream and is fast and maneuverable. The 10'6 at 148 liters sits surprisingly low in the water with me at 175 pounds which is perfect for surfing but not great for paddling long distances.

The 12'6 is definitely the better choice for paddling to distant breaks. The two extra feet of length and higher volume will add more stability and paddling speed.

You've got nothing to worry about with the 12'6. Be psyched!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:42:57 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2020, 01:24:33 PM »
Great to hear - I weigh the same as you. I was basically happy to order either a 12'6 x 29 or the 11'6, but then Ian told me he had this 27.5 already in CA... I think it's gonna be perfect and I'd rather wait one week than a couple months  8).
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
If I had the choice, I would go with the 27.5" too.

Let us know how it goes. Get some video if you can.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal