Author Topic: Kanulock maintenance  (Read 2477 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kanulock maintenance
« on: December 03, 2020, 02:44:15 PM »
Kanulocks are lockable tie-downs.  They have steel cables inside nylon webbing.  They keep honest people honest, and securely link a board to a roof rack.
https://www.amazon.com/KanuLock-Lockable-Tiedowns-Set-Truck/dp/B0016MJWKA/ref=sr_1_3?
The first generation I had was labeled SPT.  The keys had plastic at the keyring part and were fragile and would break.  Something happened to the strap where the metal core would extend outside of the ends of the webbing.  This lock lasted 7 years before one of them would no longer lock and I bought the current Kanulock branded version.  The keys are all metal for this version, but the metal of the key is soft.  Make sure you have the tie-down pulled nice and tight before trying to lock.  If there is resistance to lock with the key, stop, try to pull the webbing tigher through the cam.  Once it is tight, the key should pivot like butter.  If you try to force the key to turn, the key could distort and break.
I've been using these kanulock branded tie-downs for a couple of years now.  The only maintenance I've ever done was spraying Boeshield T-9 in the locking mechanism if it ever started to feel gummy.  (i.e. after a rainy season).  It works like WD40, but is a clean version of it.
https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B001447PEK/ref=sr_1_1?

Recently I noticed the nylon was starting to feel crusty after a couple of years of use.  I ended up doing the following to refresh the straps:
I sprayed some fabric cleaner on the nylon, then rinsed the straps until the water went clear (I did not get the locks wet).  I allowed the straps to air dry for a few hours, then sprayed with Aerospace 303 UV Protection:
https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00KN0UOEE/ref=sr_1_3?
Then I would wipe it in with a rag.  I allowed the straps to dry overnight.
The straps now feel like new.  They no longer feel crusty and stiff.  They are smooth and slide through the lock easily.  I was a little worried that they would affect the tightness of the locking mechanism, but have tested them over a couple of weeks and they are solid.  The uv protectant should help the fibers of the webbing last longer.
I started using aerospace 303 on my favorite kites 15 years ago (those kites still look and feel brand new).  Would work well on wings too.
If you have a modern car with unpainted plastic, aerospace 303 will make it look like new again.  (Works much better than Armor All).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:49:59 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Kanulock maintenance
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:19:18 PM »
Thanks for this.

If anyone has a line on sturdier key blanks I'd love to hear.

Otherwise I at least feel a little better when I have the Kanulocks on the board.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 07:31:11 PM »
Thanks for this.

If anyone has a line on sturdier key blanks I'd love to hear.

Otherwise I at least feel a little better when I have the Kanulocks on the board.

The new automated keymaking machines you find in some big box stores don't use normal blanks--they mill the blank from a featureless key-shaped slug at the same time that they cut the teeth. I made a security key for my KTM in one that worked fine. The blanks are unobtainable--in theory, replacement keys have to come from Austria. But the machine doesn't care--it spit it out in no time. The metal used appears to be some steel alloy. Lightly magnetic.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
Thanks... will try this and report back.

There's some sort of irony that a product designed to be robust has this weak link (crappy key metal).
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
Kanulocks are lockable tie-downs.  They have steel cables inside nylon webbing.  They keep honest people honest, and securely link a board to a roof rack.
https://www.amazon.com/KanuLock-Lockable-Tiedowns-Set-Truck/dp/B0016MJWKA/ref=sr_1_3?
The first generation I had was labeled SPT.  The keys had plastic at the keyring part and were fragile and would break.  Something happened to the strap where the metal core would extend outside of the ends of the webbing.  This lock lasted 7 years before one of them would no longer lock and I bought the current Kanulock branded version.  The keys are all metal for this version, but the metal of the key is soft.  Make sure you have the tie-down pulled nice and tight before trying to lock.  If there is resistance to lock with the key, stop, try to pull the webbing tigher through the cam.  Once it is tight, the key should pivot like butter.  If you try to force the key to turn, the key could distort and break.
I've been using these kanulock branded tie-downs for a couple of years now.  The only maintenance I've ever done was spraying Boeshield T-9 in the locking mechanism if it ever started to feel gummy.  (i.e. after a rainy season).  It works like WD40, but is a clean version of it.
https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B001447PEK/ref=sr_1_1?

Recently I noticed the nylon was starting to feel crusty after a couple of years of use.  I ended up doing the following to refresh the straps:
I sprayed some fabric cleaner on the nylon, then rinsed the straps until the water went clear (I did not get the locks wet).  I allowed the straps to air dry for a few hours, then sprayed with Aerospace 303 UV Protection:
https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00KN0UOEE/ref=sr_1_3?
Then I would wipe it in with a rag.  I allowed the straps to dry overnight.
The straps now feel like new.  They no longer feel crusty and stiff.  They are smooth and slide through the lock easily.  I was a little worried that they would affect the tightness of the locking mechanism, but have tested them over a couple of weeks and they are solid.  The uv protectant should help the fibers of the webbing last longer.
I started using aerospace 303 on my favorite kites 15 years ago (those kites still look and feel brand new).  Would work well on wings too.
If you have a modern car with unpainted plastic, aerospace 303 will make it look like new again.  (Works much better than Armor All).

Thanks for the care tips.  Love these straps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal