Author Topic: For anyone that wants to geek out on foils...  (Read 3315 times)

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
For anyone that wants to geek out on foils...
« on: December 03, 2020, 12:10:21 PM »
In case you haven't seen this, here are the parameters that Armie uses in foil design...

https://www.realwatersports.com/blogs/news/armstrongs-10-ish-most-important-foil-design-specs

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: For anyone that wants to geek out on foils...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
That was most interesting 805...   I don't know c'hit, but I like tech-talk anyway.  However, what I think I saw was a prepared statement in response to;  'Hey, Army ...we're gett'in kilt here by all these people who want HA foils ..that you don't offer.' I sensed depressed sales anxiety about the topic on both sides. 

The nervousness also let out a direct poke at GoFoil—perhaps even unrelated to the topic? Remarks like that tend to make me want to look at GF to see if there's a new release that could be a threat to some 'current standard'. 

If anyone has not seen the hour-long interview at REAL's shop introducing Army foils - it was well worth the time.  I am not typically a supporter of the 'biggest shop in town' but they do a good job and put out the effort to help all of us.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
That was most interesting 805...   I don't know c'hit, but I like tech-talk anyway.  However, what I think I saw was a prepared statement in response to;  'Hey, Army ...we're gett'in kilt here by all these people who want HA foils ..that you don't offer.' I sensed depressed sales anxiety about the topic on both sides. 

The nervousness also let out a direct poke at GoFoil—perhaps even unrelated to the topic? Remarks like that tend to make me want to look at GF to see if there's a new release that could be a threat to some 'current standard'. 

If anyone has not seen the hour-long interview at REAL's shop introducing Army foils - it was well worth the time.  I am not typically a supporter of the 'biggest shop in town' but they do a good job and put out the effort to help all of us.

Jim

I had that same reaction Wet.  The Real videos are usually very informative.  Why was he playing the "dumb blonde" in this one?  That was off-putting.

Arguing against the common usage of a term (for our foil sports) and against a foil type that a big group is already enjoying is a tough road. 

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
Ahhh... I somehow let that pass for the rest of the information shared but can see how the HA movement left Armstrong feeling on their heels.  As a huge Gofoil fan, I probably wouldn't have posted if I had the same reaction as the two of you.  Wet--I ride the GLs but from a 1 session demo the NLs really are next level if you have a chance to try one.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
If you want a counter viewpoint, listen to Laitham on the podcast. He left high aspect (GoFoil team rider) for surfy mid aspect Armstrong.

It’s what he has alway enjoyed. He has resisted HA wings. He rode the Kai, even after getting GL prototypes.

He probably rides the HS1550 the most. If you’re not aware, that is the oldest HS model, with the least glide and pump, of all the HS wings. But the most fun HS wing to surf.

There is room for everyone’s taste in wings.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjf-yGjrPd/?igshid=19enh29u9zjhj
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:17:09 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 06:18:32 AM »
The Armstrong video is really good.  It seems as though Armie only uses a decrease in cord % ratio for washout instead of building in wing twist.  If wing twist was used, you would think he would mention that.  I believe this is called aerodynamic washout versus geometric washout.  Got to try that on my next wing.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
There is room for everyone’s taste in wings.
^^ This ^^

Yeah, I thought it a bit humorous that according to Armie I'm one of the very few elite athletes that can ride HA foils and enjoy the hell out of them. And not just me but a bunch of my fellow "over 60" crew and hobbled buds I watch killing it out in the water on them also. Never realized we were all that special according to what you'd hear in the vid.

Definitely seemed like an odd marketing play though..."We don't make 'em, so you don't want 'em, because you're probably not good enough to use 'em anyway...but we're gonna be making 'em anyway"...wtf? ::)

I'll tell ya what, the only reason a bunch of Armstrong guys are still on them, is because they "I have too much money invested already in them", and they can't sell any of their old CF wings for anything close to what they paid for them 6-8 months ago (which btw is a brilliant marketing plan: Charge incredibly high prices making people think it must be f'n awesome if it costs this much freakin' money....only to find they're not much different than the GF stuff they came off of. :o JMHO naturally).

But there's also a bunch of guys on LA wings that are kicking arse as well, and they've been on HA as well that they liked less and went back to LA...no big deal.

So all-in-all I agree with DW...."To each their own" as they say....when it comes to what wing AR one enjoys out in the water.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:36:17 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 01:16:38 PM »
The Armstrong video is really good.  It seems as though Armie only uses a decrease in cord % ratio for washout instead of building in wing twist.  If wing twist was used, you would think he would mention that.  I believe this is called aerodynamic washout versus geometric washout.  Got to try that on my next wing.

yes - there is a bit of improvement opportunity available in the gofoil wings.  They seem to be using only wing twist.  I think they should be varying not just the chord, but the airfoil shape from root to tip to achieve the washout without the extra drag associated with just increasing the angle of attack at the tips

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal