Author Topic: Paddle length for workouts  (Read 6835 times)

Kip

Paddle length for workouts
« on: November 29, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »
I know there are lots of threads on suggested paddle lengths, but I’m curious what length folks are using for racing and/or quality work.

I’m 5’8” and started with my Ewalu @74”, then cut another Kialoa down to 73”.
I’m ordering another paddle @ 72” and even considering cutting my 74” down to 70” which is just 2 inches above my head. It’s not too often that I go out for super leisurely paddles. My recovery days are generally spent running or doing HIIT at work, so the 4-5 days per week that I’m on the water,  I’m usually jammin’

When I do intervals and get in a very aggressive stance I’m finding that my top arm feels uncomfortably high and it doesn’t feel great on my shoulders (especially with the 74” which is just 6” above my head). This seems even more pronounced in my dugout. The shorter the paddle is, the better it feels for me when I’m doing maximal effort or just below. Or even up tempo type work.

What about you guys ? What’s your go to length ? Do you have multiple paddles at multiple lengths for different disciplines and workouts  ?

Kip

Re: Paddle length for workouts
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Also, this paddle is the 73”

Any observations on upper arm angle, etc ?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
I am 72".
73" on my Salish 500 for everything on my Torpedo. Might go back to 73 1/2 to get a bit more on flat water.
74" on my Viento 520 for everything on my Maliko.
71" 1/2 on my Salish 460 for sup surfing.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Kip

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 04:25:10 PM »
I am 72".
73" on my Salish 500 for everything on my Torpedo. Might go back to 73 1/2 to get a bit more on flat water.

So you’re only one to two inches above your head ...
Cool! Was a little hesitant to go down to 70” (I’m 68”) on my favorite paddle, but playing with my wife’s adjustable paddle it feels like it’s going to be good for the hard days. And the blade angle is 8 degrees so I think it’s gonna work well

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »
I am 72".

So you’re only one to two inches above your head ...
Cool! Was a little hesitant to go down to 70” (I’m 68”) on my favorite paddle, but playing with my wife’s adjustable paddle it feels like it’s going to be good for the hard days. And the blade angle is 8 degrees so I think it’s gonna work well

I would suggest going there 1/2 inch at a time. It takes some time for the body and the technique to adjust. If you go several inches at once you might either hurt yourself or really dislike the new length. It took me several years to go from 79" to 74".
If I remember correctly the BP Hydro takes a bit longer shaft because of the shape of the blade and the blade angle.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »
90" on my distance board paddle ;D
80" on my surfing paddle.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 04:52:19 AM »
Being retired and with a lot of time on my hands, I've been going flat water paddling two times at week for the past couple of months. I'm 5'8" (68") and was using my adjustable length paddle set at 74". BTW, my paddle is a 75 square inch blade.

But I've been using a semi surf stance and I've been shortening the length of my paddle. I'm very comfortable now using a 70.5" length.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »
No strong opinion on paddle length...I like a mid-length paddle for both surf and flatwater, so what do I know.
I do have thoughts on your shoulder position though.  I think your shoulder is rolled forward, compromising your ability to reach overhead. That's probably why the longer paddle feels funny.  Roll your shoulder back into a stronger position for better reach.  If you're a desk jockey like me, this make take some mobility work.
Here's a really simple experiment to show what I mean:
- Stand up tall with your hands by your side.
- Roll your shoulders forward. Ok to exaggerate for effect.
- Now with your elbow locked, raise one arm straight out in front of you and continue up until your hand is above your head to the end of your comfortable range of motion. Make a mental note of your arm orientation.
- Then reset.  Stand tall, arms at your side, but roll your shoulders back.  Look tall and proud like your peacocking at the beach.  Or if you prefer, pretend a drill sergeant is yelling at you. Regardless, shoulders back, chest out.
- Now repeat the arm motion: elbow locked out, raise your arm out in front of you and continue up to the end of your range of motion. Make a mental note of your arm orientation.
- With shoulders rolled back, you will comfortably extend your arm further back several degrees.

Finally, don't forget shoulder mobility on your rest days.  Plenty of online tips, so pick your favorite.  I cannot stress this one enough.  No one mobilizes as much as they should (and its free!).

Kip

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
No strong opinion on paddle length...I like a mid-length paddle for both surf and flatwater, so what do I know.
I do have thoughts on your shoulder position though.  I think your shoulder is rolled forward, compromising your ability to reach overhead. That's probably why the longer paddle feels funny.  Roll your shoulder back into a stronger position for better reach.  If you're a desk jockey like me, this make take some mobility work.
Here's a really simple experiment to show what I mean:
- Stand up tall with your hands by your side.
- Roll your shoulders forward. Ok to exaggerate for effect.
- Now with your elbow locked, raise one arm straight out in front of you and continue up until your hand is above your head to the end of your comfortable range of motion. Make a mental note of your arm orientation.
- Then reset.  Stand tall, arms at your side, but roll your shoulders back.  Look tall and proud like your peacocking at the beach.  Or if you prefer, pretend a drill sergeant is yelling at you. Regardless, shoulders back, chest out.
- Now repeat the arm motion: elbow locked out, raise your arm out in front of you and continue up to the end of your range of motion. Make a mental note of your arm orientation.
- With shoulders rolled back, you will comfortably extend your arm further back several degrees.

Finally, don't forget shoulder mobility on your rest days.  Plenty of online tips, so pick your favorite.  I cannot stress this one enough.  No one mobilizes as much as they should (and its free!).

Thanks dude ! Not a desk jockey, but do appreciate the tips!
I’ll give it a whirl.

Thanks so much

Kip

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »
Ended up cutting my new Kenalu @ 74”, have a Kialoa @ 73” and my Kialoa Ewalu @ 70” which I absolutely love. Maybe it’s shitty shoulder positioning, but with a paddle only 2” higher than my head I feel like I get a lot of power for interval work. It’s awesome!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal