Author Topic: Researchers say ADHD is a good thing. Wow, no shit...  (Read 2353 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Researchers say ADHD is a good thing. Wow, no shit...
« on: November 28, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »
I've just read three papers that kind of stunned me--like everyone who has it didn't already know that. Yes, folks get pissed at us when they discover we aren't doing what they wanted us to. Sorry about that. Probably what you wanted was boring. Pick it up a few levels and you have my complete attention...for a few minutes anyway.

As probably anyone who has spent more than ten minutes talking to me knows. I'm somewhere on the light end of the Asperger spectrum, and asshole deep in ADHD. I don't make funny noises or twitch, but if you want me to do something you need a bit of patience. I'll get it done, I always do, but the timeframe is not under my control, and certainly not under yours. Teachers don't like that. I flunked physics in my senior year of high school and won second place in the national science fair--in physics.

When I bump into a fellow "neurologically challenged" sufferer the communication is instant. Doesn't matter how old they are, what sex or race. We can talk--if we can get the words out fast enough.

So no, I have never considered it a handicap. It seems odd that someone does, but then someone is paying for this research. I get the need to understand a little more about the function of the human brain, but it still feels odd that people think a little Aspergers and ADHD are anything but a good thing--it's like someone feeling sorry for me for being tall. I'm not insulted, it's more like: What?!?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Researchers say ADHD is a good thing. Wow, no shit...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
My retired surgical RN wife has stopped trying to understand why I need a new tool or don't simply complete one of my many projects in a linear fashion. Progress on #7 can often lead to a needed breakthrough on #3...?!  And, some things are truly boring (tho' perhaps worthwhile to someone) once started.  It took me a long time to discover that I am the only employer who should have to tolerate my idiocracies. Luckily, it worked out Ok. 

Bill, you don't sound like 'staying in the shadows' was a concern for you  ...I found that trade shows, publicity, etc. were not to my liking. I relied on product creating demand when seen or priced.  I somehow got into aviation from the marine business - even tho' I don't much like flying.  I discovered engineers liked free samples and were nice to you (pity?)... so, they let you out back to pull patterns;  20yrs after, I found my name was on a print for Sikorsky when they called to order a Mox-nix part.

I think the other advantage of this affliction, as others may see it, had my spine held up I would now be in better shape than when I was in the Army.  I may be a geezer ..but most guys I see wearing Vietnam hats are wheezers.  I truly enjoy hard labor.

I don't know about you, but it was not much fun being a kid. (I clearly was not as smart...)  If I knew someone today who had a different kid, I would (and have) told them to get the kid's hands busy; bashing nails, watercolor painting, clay, bicycles, motorbikes... help find them an outlet

Anyway...   I'm making a mounted canon (battery-powered leaf blower) to clean pine shatz off my steeply pitched roof.  I have confidence it will work, but I am pretty much scared of heights.  I know I can control it from the peak but may need a way to do it from the ground (facing me, of course ...so I can see what it is doing.)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 04:32:10 AM »
No worries, Pono. I trust that you'll get around to linking those interesting articles you teased us with in the title. I totally get it that you got distracted on the way to doing that.
 8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 05:20:45 AM »
Anyway...   I'm making a mounted canon (battery-powered leaf blower) to clean pine shatz off my steeply pitched roof.  I have confidence it will work, but I am pretty much scared of heights.  I know I can control it from the peak but may need a way to do it from the ground (facing me, of course ...so I can see what it is doing.)

Jim

Here is the way a real ADHD person would deal with pine cones on a roof.

Makes a way louder boom than any battery-powered leaf blower.

https://youtu.be/awdYFj8XnXQ

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 06:00:01 AM »
If I had a metal roof that would probably work, Yugi.  I didn't realize those were that sophisticated. It would fit right in with the neighborhood; across the creek is a 'Wildlife Management Area' where virtually every form of wildlife is managed in summary fashion.

Jim

A qualifier to my prior post - I have both the utmost respect and sympathy for men who served in Vietnam.  It was my dumb luck to be assigned to a tactical nuke outfit near the East German border.  Our complaints were basic GI whining about the food and guard duty.  The husband of an employee I have known for 30+yrs has not discussed his two years of regular night patrols as a Marine. This employee has two brothers that came home emotionally affected by that war, one with Agent Orange symptoms.  I have had home contractors that have hired vets of Iraq and Afganistan; there is a 'tightness' to them.  In thinking about it, most the guys with 'hats and bellies' ..were Navy.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »
Wetstuff--You're pretty much outlining my life.

I had to start businesses though I did find a few employers who would tolerate my nature for a while. Sooner or later they would figure out that the value was overwhelmed by the frustration. Imagine me as a nuclear reactor operator. When you stop trembling, let me reassure you, you're safe now, it's been a long time since I did that.

On one hand, as long as work has enough variability I can do a lot more of it than most people. When I was a motorcycle mechanic I learned that I did better working on three or more bikes simultaneously than doing one all the way through. If you're working as a flat-rate mechanic and there are a surplus of bikes to work on, that's a fine way to make a lot more money than anyone else in the shop. When I painted houses I worked on two at once. I always have at least three books I'm reading at a time. My shop is the ultimate expression of unmanaged ADHD--if I could manage enough attention to count them all I'd probably find more than twenty and less than a hundred (I hope) projects underway.

On the other hand that isn't under anyone's control, least of all mine. For example, I have several things I need to do on websites I built for friends, and I'm in the middle of that, but I had to search for a solution to a problem, and somehow here I am--not doing what I intended to do. If you look at my posts you'll find that almost all have been edited at least once. They pop back into my head and I need to go change them. The limited time for modifying posts on the zone is the best feature of the site. Nearly 24,000 posts--WTF. That's a solid indicator right there. I guarantee that when I wrote every fucking one of them I was supposed to be doing something else.

Yugi--I'd post the links, but I don't remember where I found them. I'm enormously tempted to search for them, but I'm going to employ my iron will to go get another cup of coffee, and once I do I will completely forget that I was going to find them for you. And there's wind this morning in SoCal, so wingfoiling calls.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:22:14 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »

Jim

Put an ESP32 camera on it and you can watch what it's doing from the ground on your cellphone. For that matter, you could control the blower from the ground. I have the parts needed at my shop or I'd start building it right now. Of course, I wouldn't finish until sometime in February.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal