Author Topic: eFoilBoy  (Read 6450 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
eFoilBoy
« on: November 27, 2020, 06:01:36 PM »
I bought a lightly used Takuma/something efoil today. I was at SanO hanging with talldude, Capo, and cowboy when I got hold of the guy selling it and arranged to meet. That meant I had to leave to go pick it up, and the line to get back in looked to be at least an hour, so I went to Doheny.

So okay. this is going to take some time. First, these things are insanely heavy. With the battery in place it's a challenge to carry it. I lugged it to the water and was thrilled to be in a few inches of water so I could float it. If you release the dead man switch while you're moving the nose buries and I eject vigorously. I got to my feet fairly soon and was able to drive the thing around off the foil, then I gave it the boot and popped it up. Did a few porpoise moves, then buried the nose at speed and bounced off the water. I finally managed some long runs, this thing gets rolling very soon, very fast. My longest run was probably 150 yards and most times I crashed it was because my finger slipped off the dead man. When the motor stops the fun ends about a tenth of a microsecond later.

Still, not bad for the first time and I can see that this is going to be a lot of fun. One more thing to do in the water.

Sorry I disappeared guys, I would have come back but that line was ridiculous.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: eFoilBoy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:23:10 PM »
Good to see you man. Way more zoners around later too. Super fun.

I wondered where you got off to. It was not the best day for surf so you didn't miss much.

The throttle is the main limitation on these things. Had I not ridden eskateboards before I'd never have gotten it. I've only had a few sessions but that was the main challenge. Is it thumb or trigger? If I had one I'd add a little brace to rest my thumb at the right speed. My buddy's one fly's nice at 10 knots so once I lock my thumb to "10" I'm good. But getting that is hard.

If you can, carry the battery pack down separate. These things are beasts.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »
I figured as much. Probably right after I hit the water you got the text. Have fun with that. Great to see you today Cowboy 8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:55 PM »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:03:58 PM »
You're a guy that likes building things right pono? Foil.zone has all the mad scientists building their own and discussing how to do so.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »
808, that is sly bit if wording in that ad. They mentioned a $12k Lift but that is a HiSun which are super cheap Alibaba units. I have one in my garage that I just fixed. They were like $4-5k new  a while ago.

Interesting for the foil geeks on here. Usually you will see an angle of attack (incidence?) of 0 or -1. The HiSun foil is like -6 or -7!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
I went to Parris Lake today and leaped off this thing in every way possible. I actually did pretty well and got some long rides, but every ride but the last one ended with a giant splash. Note to self--wear the wet suit. I trunked it, and spent most of the drive back with the heater on full blast, melting the vinyl in the truck. WTF was I thinking???
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:59:30 PM »
I have had the same experience. Landing one is a trick. I will say I haven't had any bad ones, just a lot of what you describe.

Glad you got to drive less! How did Perris look for winging?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
How did Perris look for winging?
I was there with some buddies when I thought I still wanted to try it (that's how long ago it's been), and they booted us (really them, I still said "f-it") off with some typically flimsy reason about why they couldn't use them there.

I think it pertained to the fact that they didn't get their boards "inspected" prior to entering the water - "All vessels entering Lake Perris will be inspected for Quagga and Zebra Mussels. This includes all canoes, kayaks, sail boats, rubber rafts, fishing waders, scuba gear, etc." - yes, even "fishing waders" need to be inspected...welcome to CA!! ::) :(

PB, did you have to get the efoil inspected before getting it wet? Maybe the ranger just didn't know what to think about the wingdings,  interesting to really know why they got booted off the lake a little over a year ago.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:29:15 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
I was concerned about it because a lot of these reservoir "lakes" have a no people in the water rule--but there are swimming beaches at Perris so I figured that wasn't a problem. The rangers are sparse so perhaps that's the reason they didn't bug me. I was prepared to have it inspected but the ranger at the boat launch area waved me through. The crowd was sparse too, and most of the boating looked like bass fishermen, with a few jetskis and something ridiculously fast with a big V8 in the middle tossed in for accent. No hassles other than carrying the heavy buggah around.

I haven't seen ANY wind at the lake in the two times I've been there, so no winging.

If you're going to try to keep invasive mussels out you have to inspect about everything being put in the water. Oregon does it differently--they charge for an invasive species permit and then rarely inspect anything. It's hard to say that's better. I buy the stupid permits but no one has ever wanted to inspect any of the boards I put in the water.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:48:59 AM by PonoBill »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »
They inspect our board in LA County every time. But it may be that only certain places need to be protected. I'll try to find out more from fish and game.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »
I have noticed thousands of these little clam shells all around Lake Tahoe. They didn't used to be noticeable, but now I can see the shiny white shells glistening below the shallow waters along the shore.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/08/18/exotic-clams-invade-lake-tahoe/

It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »
Sounds like fun. How long does the charge last?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
No hassles other than carrying the heavy buggah around.

I noticed that the guy Pat who eFoils at Doheny all the time takes the battery out right on the shore. Carries the battery to his truck first, then goes back for the foil.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 09:13:15 PM »
Sounds like fun. How long does the charge last?

about two hours, depending on how hard you go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal