Author Topic: Y Handle/ straps between strut and leading edge  (Read 1389 times)

lieutenantglorp

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Y Handle/ straps between strut and leading edge
« on: November 24, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
I have Ozone wasps and looking to eventually upgrade to something with stiffer handles, but found limited alternate choices that have Y handles.  I see only Ozone, Slingshot, and Armstrong.  BRM has attachment loops for DIY and Airush has Y straps that don't seem to be usable as handles due to position, but I have never seen one.  Are they positioned to be useful on the slingshot?  I have demoed wings without the Y handles and learned that for me, they are pretty important to have.  I find the wing has a lot more stability when using the lower Y handle instead of the strut handle and it aligns your front wrist to nearly mirror opposite angle to your back hand, similar to angles used on bicycle handlebars when riding with wing powered in the normal position.  On wings without them I have to twist my front wrist to an uncomfortable angle to fly the wing at normal position.  It works but feels awkward.  Also the Y handle hand position naturally biases the wing up slightly, matching the normal flying position so it just feels so much better balanced. Hand change during gybes way easier as well since one hand isn't stepping on the other.  Has anyone else used Wasp Y handles, and got used to it, but now happy using something else?  I don't think I can adjust to what seems to be standard on most other wings, but I'm tired of this tiny one pump hose!   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:02:10 PM by lieutenantglorp »
Infinity B-Line 8'5"
FoilSurfMachines v4 4'9" Rocket 75L
Project Cedrus 85 CM
F-One Phantom 940
Ozone Wasp v2 2.3, 3,4,5

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Y Handle/ straps between strut and leading edge
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »
My understanding is that Ozone will be introducing a V2 Wasp in early 2021 that will have improved handles and inflation system. 

I believe the Air Rush also uses the Y handles, however, they don't seem to be as useful as those on the Wasp and some of the other wings you listed.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Y Handle/ straps between strut and leading edge
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
Lt interesting take on the handles. I can ride regular stance fine but I actually think that switch I'd rather have a Y handle. It seems that it'd put the wing back a bit and I agree that the front arm position is weird on the front strut handle. Now I want to try a wasp.

Watching this thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal