Author Topic: Efoil Vibe  (Read 14677 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Efoil Vibe
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
Oh, and Pono, I can get you test rides on Waydoo, Lift, and Flyte while you're in SD.

Cool. How and when. Have truck, will drive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 08:34:41 PM »
Losangelesfoilclub has contacts. 😀

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »
Heading to SBJ tmrw to pick up my Waydoo Patroller from a guy who used his twice, and decided he's just gonna stick to surf foiling.

Stoked to say the least, since I'm not only getting a good deal on it, but also don't have to wait till the end of December, beginning of January until their next container comes in, as was going to be the case to get the longer 31" mast I was looking for that they're currently sold out of.

EDIT: Pono, I'll be down at SanO Thursday (if I can sneak out on turkey day) and Friday with it if you want to give it a try...you should have my cell# to text to confirm.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:11:40 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
Heading to SBJ tmrw to pick up my Waydoo Patroller from a guy who used his twice, and decided he's just gonna stick to surf foiling.

Stoked to say the least, since I'm not only getting a good deal on it, but also don't have to wait till the end of December, beginning of January until their next container comes in, as was going to be the case to get the longer 31" mast I was looking for that they're currently sold out of.

EDIT: Pono, I'll be down at SanO Thursday (if I can sneak out on turkey day) and Friday with it if you want to give it a try...you should have my cell# to text to confirm.

Cool, I'll plan on Friday for sure and probably try to come Thursday as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
Cowboy or Sano--

What's your verdict on the Waydoo?  This thread got me curious.  I probably wouldn't have dropped $10K for a Lift, but the price on the Waydoo puts it in my ballpark of stupid.  Heavier rider (~230) so I'm thinking the Explorer.  While the video review I saw of it from Amsterdam looks good, I've had a couple Kickstarter experiences that make me gun shy.

Tnx,

RG
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 11:33:12 AM »
Here’s a thread you might want to read through. As with any long thread on a message board people start arguing near the end of it. But it highlights the bad of the waydoo with some people trying to point out most of the unit’s are fine.

I know of two guys out here personally who have and like the waydoos and have no issues with them.

https://foil.zone/t/waydoo-kickstarter-gathered-268k-is-4k-commercial-efoil-realistic/8209/334

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
Bulky, I rode one Saturday and it was a blast. Love the throttle. We have like 3-4 of them in our little crew and so far everyone seems pleased.

Best way to learn to foil bar none. Getting some rides from my buddies has moved my foiling ahead a ton in just a few weeks. I still struggle with catching but riding is way easier and I'm glad I got to practice turns on an efoil.

I can see people who don't want one buying one to learn on for 2-3 months and then selling it. The used market will be prime for that.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
So, which of the E-Foils have the option to customize the foil wing and tail?  That's so incredibly critical to the experience in prone/SUP/wing - a different front wing and/or tail totally changes the character of the ride.  Can any of them take an Axis, GoFoil, or Signature wing?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 02:21:31 PM »
Lift you can use all their wings. As far as the other's some have small and big wing options.

The DIY guys are using AXIS a lot for the stiff 19mm mast and vast assortment of wings.

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »
Plus one for the Waydoo - received mine in October (early Kickstarter) and have been using it on my lake - Brrr - its a blast!  Neighbor has a Lyft and we have swapped around and I have to say, I prefer my Waydoo - not only for the <$$ but it uses "gears" on the controller that make it much easier to launch -  in my opinion and the plug and play battery with zero cable connections is also a nice feature.  Also the big wing is up and flying at much slower speeds and very stable.  Also have the smaller wing which is much more agile.  No question that the Lyft is higher quality - carbon board etc.  but I'm quite impressed with the Waydoo so far.  There have been teething problems - no argument there - but the company is rapidly improving their customer interaction and warranty process - I have had to get a replacement controller already after my first one drowned.  Recommend full body armor when learning - the crashes are spectacular!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 02:49:41 PM by oldfartsuperdad »
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 07:00:09 AM »
Yes on the crashes part. My neck is still stiff from the many faceplants. If I were on Maui I'd have to have Shantelle Pierce on standby to pound me back into something resembling flexibility. In the age of COVID, I'm just living with it and using my mirrors to merge into California traffic--a somewhat suicidal situation.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
I received my Waydoo Flyer on Friday. It appears to be the short mast, big wing version with the foam board. I was able to ride it 3 times in the surf. I also let 3 people try it who had never foiled. All three got up on foil and some flew further than others, but they all enjoyed it and wanted to try it again. (I’m already thinking about getting another battery).

For myself, I got up immediately but soon learned there is an easy way and a hard way to get up on foil. Hard way: set the remote to your foiling speed and attempt to get up at that speed. East way:  set the remote to level 5-7, stand up and plane, then increase speed until the board releases from the water.

Catching waves is super fun. You feel the speed increase as the foil catches the wave’s energy. I quickly learned that the wave face changes the angle of the propeller and sends the nose downward. It was easy to adjust but took a few wipeouts to realize what was happening. My efoil does not have a collapsing prop so I’m unable to fully cut the power when foiling. So it doesn’t feel exactly like surfing because you don’t feel the increase/decrease of speed as you work your way through the wave’s face. It’s that feeling of dancing with the wave that is lost when you have an engine, so I don’t expect to quit sup foiling anytime soon.

The biggest surprise and my #1 complaint is the weight of the rig. I knew what it weighed before I bought it but you don’t appreciate the weight until you have to carry it from the car to the water. Getting in and out of the surf takes patients and a little courage. Basically the weight makes everything tricky. From setup, transportation, cleanup and putting it back in the car - It’s a lot to manage carefully. The one time the weight disappears is in the water. The rig does not feel cumbersome when flying but turning is definitely more drawn out versus high and tight.

I’m going to keep playing with it, but those are my first impressions.

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »
That was my beef with the LYFT - I could not control the trigger in a smooth way while moving from knees to feet.  I also set the speed (gear) at a lower number - keep the trigger fully pulled in - move from knees to standing and then adjust the "gears" up until flying....makes it much easier.  They are heavy beasts for sure and ungainly until you get them moving in the water.  Personally, I would be happy with a smaller battery to cut the weight a bit as I'm usually out for a much shorter session than actual capacity would allow.   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:21:07 PM by oldfartsuperdad »
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 09:24:04 PM »
Just as a contrast to that battery statement. This guy was out for a three battery session the other day. 😀

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI1KJXDDPsN/?igshid=1kh7hnavka1pw

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
Happy Holidays Friends. I took my new Waydoo efoil out on the lake today. It was chili but totally worth it. Question: I seem to loose a little power once my batter dips below 50%. Is that normal? I have a bunch of electric skateboards, scooters, and a one wheel. Those toys definitely lose power once the battery gets low. Just wanted to make sure it was a common occurrence and not something unique to my rig.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal