Author Topic: Efoil Vibe  (Read 14679 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Efoil Vibe
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »
I'm old enough to remember the backlash that SUP, and more recently foiling, has had in the surf community.  What's the vibe in CA or HI?  The whole point is to get away from crowds, but are people getting barked at on the beach.  I'll never forget the constant heckling we would get at 41st street in Santa Cruz just trying to get down the stairs with an SUP and paddle.  "Where you going with that thing - kook?"  Fond memories. 

Just curious as I have an eFoil on the way and I want to be super careful and respectful of the community.  Especially with an AZ license plate lol. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Efoil Vibe
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
You never get closer enough to a surf break to hear comments.

If you do surf you can stay way outside, you never ride inside. If you are near a break you're typically not launching anywhere near where a surfer would paddle out. My buddies who have them never launch at a break. Surfing is fine on those spots that break away offshore or that never break. A friend was towing his son into a spot that literally wasn't breaking at all. Just rollers. Who's mad at that?

The vibe isn't bad but that may be because no one can hassle you in the lot if you're never in the lot. Sheriff's and lifeguards are your concern now. You own a boat, not a surfboard. A big concern is which marinas will throw you out or fine you. (you normally won't be able to get on foil inside.)

But they are super fun and why would you ever get near a surfer, right?
But no, don't efoil any spot you know in LA or if you do launch down the road a bit and stay way outside.  ;)

It's so fun on flat water I can't see why you'd brave the drive except to surf your foil. Hope to see you while you're here and I'll hook you up with some guys who can advise where and how.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
There is a guy where I foil who is out there with an e-foil riding rollers on the outside before anyone can catch them. He launches pretty well clear of anyone and just paddles his board out like anyone else until he is outside the line up. He isn't taking anything someone else could so no one really cares past the novelty of it. This is Oahu though, California is a different beast entirely.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:47:31 PM by exiled »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
My brother got vibes and told foils don’t belong in the lineup on an empty el Porto day earlier. Normal foil though. Not efoil.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:10 PM »
I was in south San Diego at a known spot with my foil SUP. I got soooo much sh!t between my car and the water. It’s one of those spots with a view and a stair case. Anyway it made 40 year olds Evan smile. 25 year old Evan would have been posted. Lol. Still waaaay less flack then when I started SUPing.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
Hawaii:

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
That’s pretty handy flyer. Off topic but can you fly with these?  I have a one wheel and a boosted board. I’ve flown with both but airlines are pretty leery of the battery.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:22:16 PM »
I cannot imagine a pack that big flying.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
Not really a fan. Don’t see the need for them if you can foil waves with your own power. Maybe to cruise the shoulders on the outer reefs but not my thing. Some people think they will tow people in on them but a jet ski seems like a better option.IMHO I have heard of some EFOIL riders at  makena landing riding back and forth. Owners or rentals? I don’t know but many of us who Downwind foil have concerns that some snorkeler will be injured or worse and ruin it for the rest of us who Foil. We all agree to come down off foil well before the beach to keep it safe for everyone. My 2c.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
I respect your position 808. Valid points for sure. For someone like me who moved away from the ocean, this will fill the void I have in the 4-6 weeks I go in between surf sessions. My wife saw the price tag and said, “if it makes you less grumpy when you can’t surf, then buy two of them.”  So I’m super exited about the eFoil. But like anything in the surf, you have to approach it with respect and safety.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:27 AM »
I was super sour on eFoils until I talked with a local guy who bought one.  He has a collapsible prop and was out in big stuff in Montara, Northern California.  The key was to realize that when you get the new toy it will work where others will not. 

Anyone who suggests they are going to buzz the lineup doesn't understand this.  When I started SUP foiling it was to ride the 10ft @ 10 second energy in and around Mavericks.  No one was riding this.  There are other nearby breaks that are better surfing spots but there are typically 5 or 10 guys at those spots.  I can go to my own spot and catch waves 100% alone (I measure this and I am 100% alone ~ 50% of the time). 

The foil is not optimized for steep, hollow down the line riding.  There are so few of these types of spots that they have names and parking.  The other 99.999% of the ocean can be yours.  Have at it. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 07:13:19 AM »
In my opinion, the biggest benefit of new toys, including SUP, is that you can use them at the places other surfers can't or don't, and my general rule is to take full advantage of that. In Maui I frequently violated that rule since SUP surfing at Kahana is simply so good, but even there I tried to find places that worked for me that weren't popular--which generally meant moving as far to surfer's right as the waves permit. Sometimes that just attracts other surfers though, once they see you getting waves, like surfing at Ho'okipa at Lanes--which I swear you'd rarely see a surfer even on crowded days until the SUP surfers started using it.

It's not some sort of moral position for me, I just don't like surfing with people who aren't my friends.

Foiling is 10x better for that than SUP. I'm never within 20 yards of a surfer--more like 100--even at SanO. the closest I get to anyone is the sit-down guys because they're looking for the same kind of waves we are and are relegated to the same stretch of crap surf--which is perfect.

I figure eFoils are 10x better than surf foiling for the same reason. No possible reason to be in a lineup. About the same level of solipsism that wingfoils offer. Wingfoiling has to be the perfect sport for loners like me. I'll get one sooner or later-probably later, though this year is a great excuse for getting one. As I'm typing this I'm wondering "what the fuck was I thinking?? I'm in the fucking desert, 2.5 hours from the beach. There are lakes. Why didn't I buy an efoil?"

What a moron. We move to Solano Beach in a week, so it probably doesn't make sense now, but I think my timeframe just jumped way ahead.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:59:00 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
Which efoil did you buy Evan
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
You guys get it. We have an efoil posse here now and while I don't own one I get offered rides and we are now doing "tow days" where we are learning to tow each other into the shittiest waves you can imagine.

Your assumptions are true, you can foil a knee high unbreaking wave. You just can't paddle in.

Evan,  you're going to have a ball.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
Oh, and Pono, I can get you test rides on Waydoo, Lift, and Flyte while you're in SD.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal