Author Topic: Apple Silicon  (Read 5505 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Silicon
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:12 PM »
Quote from: surfcowboy link=topic=36760.msg423376#msg423376 date=1606002270
But they are great machines and I assume they learned from the PPC days. Ha!
[/quote

Everyone seems to have forgotten the power PC.

Given the depreciation of mac stuff, you could buy the current Mac Mini, play with it for six months before the better toys come out, and sell it for 200 less than you paid for it. Or do what I do and stick it in a drawer and forget it until it's a collectible (or you finally through it away). I have an Osborne 1 that's probably worth more than I paid for it. But 40 years is a long time to wait to get your money back and $2000 in 1981 is worth $6,320 today, so I'm probably not getting that for a beige doorstop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Everywhere. Google Apple Mac Mini Desktop Computer, M1 Chip with 8-Core CPU and 8-Core GPU, 8GB Memory, 256GB SSD, Gigabit Ethernet--699.

Of course, that isn't what I'd buy, and I think the next Mac Mini release will have a lot more stuff for a few hundred more. I'd want a 1TB SDD, 32GB memory, and at least 4 high speed ports of whatever flavor they decide on, so yeah, probably 1600, but I'd paid five figures with more valuable money for a lot less.

ah ok, Mac mini, I was thinking of laptop - I guess I want one 😂, thanks Bill.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »
...When I need a new mini they will be dialed...

And hopefully will let you run the new shiny $799 BlackMagic eGPU (or any eGPU for that matter) bought to supplement Davinci Resolve 17 and Rhino 3D because right now you'd be F**ked.

My guess would be No though, by then they'll replace the current beefed up mobile class GPU included with their new Desktop class GPU. At least for the marked up models.
in progress...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »

And hopefully will let you run the new shiny $799 BlackMagic eGPU (or any eGPU for that matter) bought to supplement Davinci Resolve 17 and Rhino 3D because right now you'd be F**ked.

Hmm, Am I mistaken in assuming that BM has a specific version of Davinci 17 for the M1?  Therefore - Davinci 17 should run fine on the new Mini?  I think that's what this guy is saying, but I'm no expert...   

https://youtu.be/p2B8uksMFRU?t=84
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 12:26:14 AM »

Hmm, Am I mistaken in assuming that BM has a specific version of Davinci 17 for the M1?  Therefore - Davinci 17 should run fine on the new Mini?  I think that's what this guy is saying, but I'm no expert...   

https://youtu.be/p2B8uksMFRU?t=84

Davinci should run fine but they are not currently supporting external GPU's.  Astounding that they are sharing the 8 GB of memory between graphics and CPU with no offboard memory and getting the results that you posted.  Davinci isn't that taxing on the CPU (mostly just compression/decompression) but it really pushes the GPU for everything else.  A lot of really robust systems with big memory video cards won't play back those RED 6K and 8K files well without proxies, etc.  It is going to be wild to see what they design for the Macbook pros that have always had discrete graphics and (my interest) the iMac's which had become super powerful machines even before these new chips.  For that matter they are planning a new (half sized) Mac pro.  What does that look like with these considerations? 

And what about the addition of that neural engine?  Brand new on macs. 

Blazing-Fast, On-Device Machine Learning

The M1 chip brings the Apple Neural Engine to the Mac, greatly accelerating machine learning (ML) tasks. Featuring Apple’s most advanced 16-core architecture capable of 11 trillion operations per second, the Neural Engine in M1 enables up to 15x faster machine learning performance. In fact, the entire M1 chip is designed to excel at machine learning, with ML accelerators in the CPU and a powerful GPU, so tasks like video analysis, voice recognition, and image processing will have a level of performance never seen before on the Mac.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:28:08 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »
Holy shit.  It really does look like they have achieved something exceptional.  He isn't even testing the model with 16 GB of memory!  8 GB of shared memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMzT3bajoPs
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:01:13 AM by Admin »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 05:27:08 AM »
...It is going to be wild to see what they design for the Macbook pros that have always had discrete graphics and (my interest) the iMac's which had become super powerful machines even before these new chips.  For that matter they are planning a new (half sized) Mac pro.  What does that look like with these considerations? 

If you're a happy as clam now, you'll be squeaking like the Pillsbury Doughboy when you see the desktop class systems. Super smart people at Apple, they'll have all the fanboys paying to test the new drug for them and have them come back and pay a lot more when it's fully baked.
in progress...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »
or...people buy them, are blown away...and come right back when they are ready again.  That has been my Apple experience.  They sell hard but deliver harder.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »
or...people buy them, are blown away...and come right back when they are ready again.  That has been my Apple experience.  They sell hard but deliver harder.

Call it how you want but they'll separate people from their money one way or the other in a very fast cycles. Much of it because of the fanfare and hype that very often leave people searching for answers once the noise is gone and all they're left with is a super fast machine that half of their eco-system isn't compatible with. That has been my Apple experience for many years, not as a user. As a service provider I made a lot money because of it.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Ya, Boss... I have been a fanboy even thru the difficult years.  It is my second/third, but I still have a Mac Classic II, beige breadbox ...also, a Bondi Blue gumball that has an old accounting program on it.  I found it better to keep a specific computer for specific jobs.  We run an iPad and an old laptop off satellite at home and I have three active Macs here.  My only PC exposure is a Samsun laptop used exclusively to dnld Netflicks, etc. using a 'not available for Mac' program—Audials—that does great screen captures of movies, etc.  ...even the captions, if needed.

Not to discount Burchas' expirence, but the only computer here that needed the help of an expert was the Samsung.  Perhaps, it is because—like with many things—I operate in the lower bands of utility.  Similarly all my cars typically have obtained high mileage w/o major issues but have never seen more than 3,000rpm.

Jim

Jim 
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
How many times have apple been found guilty of slowing down phones!
 They dont seem to do it with there computers though?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

Call it how you want but they'll separate people from their money one way or the other in a very fast cycles. Much of it because of the fanfare and hype that very often leave people searching for answers once the noise is gone and all they're left with is a super fast machine that half of their eco-system isn't compatible with. That has been my Apple experience for many years, not as a user. As a service provider I made a lot money because of it.

Fair enough.  We usually keep our desktops ~4 years and then move the older ones to update warehouse computers.  We have iMac's that are ready but we'll wait for the new M chips.  iPhone's, we finally upgrade from 6's.  Just replaced ipads as well (maybe 5 years ?).  Old ones to the grandkids.  Chan got a watch and she is loving it. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »

Fair enough.  We usually keep our desktops ~4 years and then move the older ones to update warehouse computers.  We have iMac's that are ready but we'll wait for the new M chips.  iPhone's, we finally upgrade from 6's.  Just replaced ipads as well (maybe 5 years ?).  Old ones to the grandkids.  Chan got a watch and she is loving it.

Sound like a very responsible strategy of a well informed user.

I'm more excited by the implications of this new tech going forward and what it means for the unified macOS/iPadOS/iPhoneOS experience. Developers who for years worked around the constraints of the mobile OS and managed to create simple and streamlined workflows for very sophisticated software will now be able to provide their offering across the entire eco-system
and use the years of experience developing economically for the "limited" mobile platform to really offer significant performance boost on these new machines and a more responsive development cycles.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal