Author Topic: Which futures fins for a 10"6 x 29 Gerry Lopez Surf Sup & quads or thruster?  (Read 8652 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
When you are out with your friend, exchange boards.  I've found testing a lot of different boards was informative.
I've tried a V2 quad set.  I like the speed and lack of drag they have, remind me of the Stretch set.  You can always add a nubster if you want more drive.
I come from a skateboard background and always felt right at home on Quads.   Quads remind me of riding bowls on a skateboard.  Small quads can feel like a skateboard in the rain.  But I appreciate the ride of a single fin too.  A single fin reminds me of bombing a hill on a skateboard.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:19:54 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Forgot to mention, the quads I ride have 50/50 rears. As shown in this fin guide near the bottom of the page.  https://www.surffcs.com/blogs/community/a-guide-to-fcs-fins

I think they make the board a little less skatey but I really haven't tried enough fin sets to know for sure.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:48:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes I am in love with quads, at least now I know why, and that I didn't have the wrong set of fins on my board for 6 years. I couldn't wait to remove that thruster setup and I interrupted my surf session to go back and do it. I also did not like having to again mess with a screwdriver and that little rectangular nut that slides in the big finbox. Once I put them back on I had my speed back and slid down the wave like greased butter, I could go rail-to-rail easily... yes. So futuresfins.com finally called me back and they are replacing my left rear GL2 for something like $38 then I ordered the $99 F-fin set of V2F4. The guy told me how I could fix my left side GL2 by putting some solarez on the fin where the rock took out a chunk, let it dry, then sand it down - to be the exact same shape as my right side GL2. He said the GL1 is truly out-of-stock forever (he initially thought it was on backorder). No problem - per my analysis below the GL1s are sort of equilalent to pants in XXL!

He had a "nubster" Thermotech TMF-1 for $12 for sale and said I'll try one of those also. He thought it work better on my board than the more pointier Thermotech TMF-2  which was out of stock anyway. I can try the nubster with my quads or with my Twins- why not?

While working on this thread I've been compiling fin sizes for various fins and what is considered small/medium/large, how the GL1 and GL3s compare.. attaching it as a pic so the formatting does not get ruined. This chart is posted below - you may have to scroll sideways. I am still curious why people feel there is a trend toward using regular (smaller) regular surf fins on SUPs, is it because they were too big to begin with? The surf shop questioned me on that, saying -- SUPs haven't gotten smaller overall recently, so you should still probably stick with SUP specific fins... (NOT!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:49:46 PM by marvinhecht »
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I didn't mention foil above but it appears both GL1s and GLS2 are flat foiled on all quad fins (50/50 of course for the center/thruster fin). The rear qd2 3.75 I am getting on the set of yellow/black V2F4s I ordered are the "speed generating" ones with an 80/20 foil. I was worried about that (see the youtube video above from SHRED SHOW).. but the futures guy on the phone said it should be OK - a flat foil will provide more hold and I may actually want some release at the back of the tail.

Oh I also did more follow up on Anthony Maltese's video above where he reviews the Kai Lenny "Zebra" Stub quad fins, I was intrigued by these and did some more investigation. Seems like MFC Hawaii has been busy and come out with all sorts of fins (not just quads) that are getting good ratings. I went to the site and sumarized things below. This is really interesting: They seem to have found having bigger quad rears is better for Jaws/Peahi. But then, MFC now has a set of quads for "normal" surf where the rears are ALSO bigger (#5 below). Anyone heard about them, seen them, or know why REARs larger than fronts could work better for big or even normal surf?
Has anyone with FCS or FCS2 fins tried switching their quad rears and fronts around so that the bigger fin is in the rear? (You can't do that with futures quads, bummer). Thanks!
GL1 and GL2 quads

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Reminds me of this photo.  Taken before the Mavericks opening ceremony a few years ago.

Jeff Clark inspecting Kai Lenny's gun.  Note quads with big rear fins.  Kai has been riding MFC fins for a long while.

Kai looks skeptical.  Jeff is all serious.  And I am loving it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:48:40 PM by Beasho »

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hmm.. even if Kai looks skeptical .. the proof is in the pudding and if it worked for Jaws and he's alive, I am not going to argue. I see those Rears are pretty close, because the board is a gun and very thin, so they are acting a little more like a thruster. I'd imagine something about needing extra grip from the rear for massive waves is the reason, but what really puzzles me is that MFC made a set with larger rears for normal surf too. I'm trying to find out what they know and/or have learned...
GL1 and GL2 quads

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal