Author Topic: rail tape vs paddle guard  (Read 23824 times)

caRRera

Re: rail tape vs paddle guard
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
Me being parinoid for my 1st year out I put rail tape and paddle edging on.Next season I'm taking off the rail tape. Should I expect some residule glue from the tape?  If so what do I get it off with?

Alcohol

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »
I think rail dings are becoming a thing of the past as all/most board manufacturers  progressively find the way to make rails that don't ding from paddle hits.

At a demo day of a 2011 manufacturer range, the 25 boards were out a full day for everybody to try, beginners to experts, and I can tell you I - like other - wacked the ones I tried a lot (had stability issues on the 5'11" :-). Paddles were carbon ones without a guard. At the end of the day, it was impossible to find a paddle mark on the rails of any board (but some had holes on the bottom from crashes with other boards)

So don't stress about the paddle marks. When/if you resell your board you will just repair them once, and your next board will probably dont ding at all on the rails.

If you do not race, some electric tape on the paddle is important to protect the paddle blade from damage on rocks, sand, ... and also yourself from cuts froms the blade. Bright colored tape helps also find the paddle in the whitewater if you let in go in a wipeout.

PauHanaTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
Don't protect either the board or the paddle.  After a year, show your wife the board and paddle and she'll see for herself that you need a new one of each.

Cheers

Kip

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Don't protect either the board or the paddle.  After a year, show your wife the board and paddle and she'll see for herself that you need a new one of each.

Cheers

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve read on here haha

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »
one of those Mr. Clean white spongey thingys takes paddles marks & scuffs off like magic!! Get it slightly wet, even with salt water, and rub.......whooshka, like new. cheap, easy to use and fast. I usually do this as I'm rinsing the board. It's kept my white SIC looking sweet for years now. and you see immediate feedback on how poorly, or well your stroke was per outing.......

DJ on Seabreeze posted about using electrical tape on paddle edges [couldn't find it] which I used early on. Worked pretty well. Also cheap, readily available and easy to replace........worked on lower part of shaft even.
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

Kip

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »
one of those Mr. Clean white spongey thingys takes paddles marks & scuffs off like magic!! Get it slightly wet, even with salt water, and rub.......whooshka, like new. cheap, easy to use and fast. I usually do this as I'm rinsing the board. It's kept my white SIC looking sweet for years now. and you see immediate feedback on how poorly, or well your stroke was per outing.......

DJ on Seabreeze posted about using electrical tape on paddle edges [couldn't find it] which I used early on. Worked pretty well. Also cheap, readily available and easy to replace........worked on lower part of shaft even.

I just picked up some Mastic tape for that purpose. Cheap and easy

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »

They are called Mr Clean Magic Erasers and yes, they do work like magic to remove just about any type of mark on the board. Great for spiffing up a board you want to sell.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »
Hey guys: I had both rail tape and paddle guard. I like the rail tape because the surftech rail tape added a nice logo on the side of the board. It's pretty chewed up after 6 years and I need to replace it. I wish the rail tape had extended further up the board because that area gets hit the most by the paddle, or other boards or people. I had the paddle guard on my thicker older sup surf paddle and even though it was professionally installed, recently the glue dried enough that it came off and I thought yeah- it messes up the fluid dynamics so I left it of. I am tough on things and I did think recently of buying paddle covers to put on when I am transporting the paddles and putting them in / out of my garage - good idea?

Not to change the topic but surftech also put a SURFCO noseguard and nosetail on my board. I think it was because of reading a thread here that some purists said that noseguard is messing up your fluid dynamics and not giving you the ride "that your shaper intended". So i removed them. It looked nicer at the time, but over the years my nose and tail have been bumped, bruised, and the paint chipped off, so now I am having to repair those areas.
It's great to hear that board technology has improved to the point that you can't make rail dents with paddles! Then again the way I am rough on things -- I probably could find a way!

10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

Kip

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 07:02:30 AM »
Hey guys: I had both rail tape and paddle guard. I like the rail tape because the surftech rail tape added a nice logo on the side of the board. It's pretty chewed up after 6 years and I need to replace it. I wish the rail tape had extended further up the board because that area gets hit the most by the paddle, or other boards or people. I had the paddle guard on my thicker older sup surf paddle and even though it was professionally installed, recently the glue dried enough that it came off and I thought yeah- it messes up the fluid dynamics so I left it of. I am tough on things and I did think recently of buying paddle covers to put on when I am transporting the paddles and putting them in / out of my garage - good idea?

Not to change the topic but surftech also put a SURFCO noseguard and nosetail on my board. I think it was because of reading a thread here that some purists said that noseguard is messing up your fluid dynamics and not giving you the ride "that your shaper intended". So i removed them. It looked nicer at the time, but over the years my nose and tail have been bumped, bruised, and the paint chipped off, so now I am having to repair those areas.
It's great to hear that board technology has improved to the point that you can't make rail dents with paddles! Then again the way I am rough on things -- I probably could find a way!

RE: paddle bags, I bought one but never use it it. Because of that my favorite paddle is all chipped and scratched. Could be worth the $30 if you like to keep your stuff perfect.

And I wouldn’t say “can’t” make rail dents. No matter what it’s made of, seems like if you hit it hard enough, you’ll damage it (though I’m no expert). My 2019/2020 infinity boards are super durable. Lots of paddle strikes (especially a few months ago when my technique was even sloppier) with no damage, but also a couple paddle strikes that did cause a paint chip or two and a small crack in the PVC.

I personally dont see any sense in babying my stuff. I use it everyday and they’re hard to keep in perfect condition.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
I am not a fan of rail tape.  I inherited a starboard with it and it still had chunks of kevlar on the rail missing.  Once the rail tape was removed, the rails looked ugly.  Ended up repairing and painting.
I have another board that I inherited with rail tape and it chafes me when I prone paddle the board.
I like my paddle guard on my carbon paddle.  Joe Blair was the first guy I knew using them.  I also paddle with wooden paddles (no paddle guard) and don't notice a difference.  I am not a racer.
The only benefit of a paddle cover is if you live in a hot environment and have carbon paddles (black+carbon+sun+heat=bad).  I sewed a nylon sleeve for my paddle with spare fabric for storage in my car (more inconspicuous).
When I first started I bought board bags for my boards, now I don't even use them anymore.  They just add to the weight while transporting.  And they get moldy when it rains.
I am hard on my gear and self-preservation comes first (Just snapped my 11' board in two this week swimming under a wave with a Crow Haley waist leash).  Respectful praise to Beasho's invaluable shared knowledge over the years.  Winter swell is here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:14:49 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Kip

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 03:56:55 PM »
I am not a fan of rail tape.  I inherited a starboard with it and it still had chunks of kevlar on the rail missing.  Once the rail tape was removed, the rails looked ugly.  Ended up repairing and painting.
I have another board that I inherited with rail tape and it chafes me when I prone paddle the board.
I like my paddle guard on my carbon paddle.  Joe Blair was the first guy I knew using them.  I also paddle with wooden paddles (no paddle guard) and don't notice a difference.  I am not a racer.
The only benefit of a paddle cover is if you live in a hot environment and have carbon paddles (black+carbon+sun+heat=bad).  I sewed a nylon sleeve for my paddle with spare fabric for storage in my car (more inconspicuous).
When I first started I bought board bags for my boards, now I don't even use them anymore.  They just add to the weight while transporting.  And they get moldy when it rains.
I am hard on my gear and self-preservation comes first (Just snapped my 11' board in two this week swimming under a wave with a Crow Haley waist leash).  Respectful praise to Beasho's invaluable shared knowledge over the years.  Winter swell is here.

I was just cursing my board bag today while I was loading up after a session! I started using one to protect from dings, but it's such a pain in the ass that I'd just rather risk it haha I mean, for my Whiplash I wanted to keep it pretty and the shitty zipper on my FCS bag scratched up the paint on the side of the nose anyways, so what's the point ? Will likely still use them for highway transports and for the 7 days out of the year it gets hot up here, but besides that, I'm good.

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
I also question why do I use the board bag. For trips to my local lake I don't use it. When driving to surf spots (90-120 min) I'll usually use it, but don't think I really need to. It's not like the thing will suffer if it is rained on, it's meant for water! Maybe when it snows I should use it to keep it warm.

I think I use it because I feel like my straps won't dig into or create marks on the rail if it's in a board bag. I try to never pull my straps so tight that it would, I think occassionally I have. And I have those THULE foam pads on the surf racks so if it pulls the board maybe a little tight it will just push down on the foam pad a little more, right? Or, does that bit of material by keeping it in the bag protect it a little more, which it may need? Believe it or not, I've debated this a lot in my mind, just never told anyone!!
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 11:56:51 PM »
I pretty much gave up on rail tape until RSPRO came along. It actually does prevent paddle whacks or other rail dings from chipping the rail. It's expensive but it works much better than anything else I've tried, and I've been able to move the tape from one board to another several times. Looks good too.

Putting tape on a paddle you spent 100 bucks for is fine--no one spent months working out the design to make it complement good technique. Most of the effort in designing a paddle is in managing the flow of water across the face, both to help the catch and to keep it from wobbling. If I'm spending 500 bucks for a quality paddle, compromising the design effort and making it work like an el cheapo doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal