Author Topic: My quiver after 9 months of Paddling (and how I got here)  (Read 2219 times)

Kip

My quiver after 9 months of Paddling (and how I got here)
« on: November 17, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
Just wanted to share my SUP quiver and my short journey to picking up all these boards. Not the most interesting story, but you all have been so helpful, I wanted to share. If you just want to check out the quiver, skip the yammering and just check out the photos at the bottom!

I started paddling back in March of this year on my wife's beat up 32" foam wavestorm. I had ongoing back issues from racing ultramarathons. SUP was the only thing I found that releived the pain and kept me in shape, so I was all in! I didn't even know how much fun I was about to have  8)

I bought a 12'6" x 30 touring board soon after and when I went paddling with a friend and jumped on his 25" Riviera I immediately knew I had made a mistake, so I purchased that from him. But still, I wanted something faster. Another buddy of mine said "Oh, you'll end up with a collection." I thought "Nah, I just want one board that does it all." So after lots of research and some good advice here I purchased the 2020 14 x 23" Blackfish PPVC.

I had some problems with the freight company on that order (which I think I bitched about here) but the folks at Infinity were SUPER nice and super helpful. After that experience I thought "I'll be an Infinity customer for life." I mean, how many companies can you email with some stupid newbie question and get a helpful answer from the shaper/ceo ? Those folks are top notch over there and the boards are worth every penny.

I, of course, wanted something faster and more challenging so I got the last 2019 Team Elite 14 x 21" Whiplash they had in stock. AND THAT THING SHREDS! Nothing better on a smooth/mild day.

I started dabbling in Downwinders on my Blackfish (we have a great 6-7 mile run on our lake if the winds are blowing SE - haven't braved a run on the bay yet - just laps). It's super fun in the summer, but I definitely didn't want to do too much swimming this winter. The first 35mph day I did I fell in at least 4 times, and that ain't happening on the bay when it's 40 degreees and raining haha

I happened to have a friend of a friend who moved from here to Bend, OR and wasn't doing too much paddling anymore, so he gave me a killer deal on his Team Elite 2018 14 x 25" Downtown Dugout. That sucker catches bumps like a dream! And after paddling all summer on a 21" (and a 23" in rough water) it feels stable as all get out in roughy stuff.

I absolutely love these boards! My wife might think I've wasted some money, but the only thing better than paddling them is walking into my garage to do another load of laundry and getting all warm and fuzzy when I see them sitting there on the wall   ;D

So here's my little quiver. Thanks to everyone who answered all of my questions and took the time to give helpful advice as I've been learning. I appreciate you all.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:33:40 PM by Kip »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My quiver after 9 months of Paddling (and how I got here)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »
Nice quiver dude... Got all conditions covered. The Infinity crew is good people that make top of the line boards.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Kip

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »
Nice quiver dude... Got all conditions covered. The Infinity crew is good people that make top of the line boards.

Thanks man! Pretty stoked on it. SUP is just so damn rad!

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »
Kip, looks like you have some great boards there. My suggestion is, don’t start foiling or you will never ride them again. I have a garage full of sups (some for racing and some for surfing) and surfboards that are now collecting dust since I started foiling. “ Foil brain “ is real and once you have it nothing is as much fun!😬

Kip

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
Kip, looks like you have some great boards there. My suggestion is, don’t start foiling or you will never ride them again. I have a garage full of sups (some for racing and some for surfing) and surfboards that are now collecting dust since I started foiling. “ Foil brain “ is real and once you have it nothing is as much fun!😬

I've heard that! Deal and done :)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:09:51 AM »
Infinity's are solid I have three myself. Im spoiled because they're right down the road from me which is scary. You are officially a speed freak ;)
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal