Author Topic: The super techies saved my crashed drive:)  (Read 5020 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The super techies saved my crashed drive:)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
Yeah Creek, the Glacier is "cold" like it sounds. For stuff you don't access a lot.

The weird thing about iMovie is that so much is under the hood. The good thing is that so much is under the hood, right. ;) It's easy.

What I'd try is what we in the business call Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM.) That's a long name for "having a drive you work on and then moving stuff off of it when you're done" lol. (That'll be $25,000 please.)

But seriously, here's an example:

Set up your archive drives (where you store footage) with folders by year or whatever and put your footage from the camera there. Then... before you edit, go pull the stuff you want to work on into a working area. (Maybe on your internal drive if you have space. This is just temp)

So like  /External Media Drive 1/Video/surf/2020/11-18-20 Topanga/<videos-here> (Let's call this the "Archive" folder")

Then gathering the footage you want to edit into a folder on a fast drive, (suggestion, named by the name of the project like "Creek Rad 11-18-20 Surf Clips"

So maybe /Desktop/Video Workspace/Creek Rad 11-18-20 Surf Clips/<videos-go-here> (Let's call this the "Project" folder")

This way you are working on a copy of the video and you have your original on the external drive.

Then put/drag the video into iMovie from there. Once you're done, you can export the final video out. If iMovie will let you (it will) you can put it on your external, or you can put it on your hard drive in that project folder and then drag it to your external (Archive) folder.

Once you're done, you can toss the Project folder since your original clips are on your external and you've copied your final master there too.

This may sound strange and like extra steps but it does two things. 1. You get very clear on where your videos are when you don't let the software just magically do stuff. Copying them helps you get clear on what's where. And 2, you immediately have 2 copies and are working on a copy so you don't even misplace or mess up the original files in your archive folder.

Eventually you might find that you have a better understanding of things but for now this might help. iMovie "helps" a lot and sometimes it confuses you when it's not clear where things are.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 06:20:41 PM »

But yeah, I'm going to look at Amazon glacier storage--it's probably mostly in the new server farm in the Dalles.

Oh you know you can choose where it goes and even that it goes to more than one data center. But yeah, they like that cheap OR power. ;)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
Much as I need to, I hate the thought of leaving Imovie since, I have it semi wired and can do a lot of cool stuff.... and I never needed to "learn" it. It's nicely intuitive.

BUT.... I do need to backup ALL of my RAW footage to Amazon Glacier, to protect it from drive failure or other calamity

I hear you on iMovie but with the workflow you described Resolve seems like ticket and worth the learning effort.

Back to the subject of the thread, you might want to check https://www.drobo.com. With your ever expanding footage and a need for local storage/backup it's an all in one
solution, much like the aforementioned RAID but without to complexity of it. Will let you expand your storage on the fly thus maintaining all your files in one place while keeping them safe.

With that and the Amazon Glacier, I think you'll be covered.

You might be tempted to keep all your current iMovie projects in one place with this newfound power solution but I would not do so my self. I've seen some major issues happening with iMovie
Libraries, database corruption and such that made it a real pain to deal with.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:42:12 PM by burchas »
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 06:16:11 AM »
Thanks again burchas, the Drobo is definitely interesting.... but really pricey on my no frills budget.
Something to consider for sure, I appreciate that link!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 07:07:08 AM »

But yeah, I'm going to look at Amazon glacier storage--it's probably mostly in the new server farm in the Dalles.

Oh you know you can choose where it goes and even that it goes to more than one data center. But yeah, they like that cheap OR power. ;)

And the cooling, the data center has three mini cooling towers. It looks like some kind of giant warehouse or a steel mill.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »
Crashed drive and backup story

One one of my relatives is running a small medical office. She called me last fall asking to help with her main office computer  - it was not booting. Knowing that it could be a bad HDD I asked if she has backup. She confirmed that saying the office manager was backing up everything on CDs weekly. I was skeptical but hopeful.  Indeed it was bad HDD. I asked for a backup and was given a CD. Just one. Few years of back ups.  Hmm, Okay.. as soon as I saw the  actual CD I knew they are in trouble.  Yep, the CD was blank. Clean as a whistle. Not even formatted. Imagine - the office manager has been inserting it into slot every week, let it  spinning there and it was enough for her to consider everything was backed up. ...  Luckily for them I managed to wake up HDD for a brief moment and make a snapshot of latest backup. Yes, the actual backup apparently was available - on the same HDD. Seriously? Needless to say that new rebuilt PC has triple backup and NOT on the same HDD lol.   

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal