Author Topic: Sup Paddle fpr surf advice  (Read 5929 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Sup Paddle fpr surf advice
« on: November 16, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »
Have been on a Kialoa for couple of years. the front of the blade is basically fal and it flutters a lot. I didnt really notice it till i took out anohter paddle with a dihedral shape and saw the advantage in terms of reduced flutter.

so now looking for a new paddle. to be used exlcusively in the surf.
fixed length,
kenalu? Quickblade? Blackproject?
others?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sup Paddle fpr surf advice
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
Those are all good options. I haven't experienced flutter on any of my different paddles for years. I even just bought a used Riviera Vantage for $40. and it doesn't flutter either. Maybe a technique thing? Or maybe I don't pay attention to it anymore?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:05:20 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »
I have a very stiff, very flat Hoe Nalu carbon paddle that I was using for SUP surfing in Hawaii. It cost $100 USD. After getting a rotator cuff injury from over-paddling with bad form, I bought a $500 QuickBlade Trifecta 86 Paddle. It is a very thin paddle (#86) and is feather light. It cost $500. But still gives me good power because of the way it is shaped - dihedral ? (not sure). I have never had should problems since then, and I would use it for SUP surfing as well as downwind or flatwater.  Lately I live in a place with mushy, turbulent surf, and now that I do a lot of weight lifting my shoulder can take a bit more beating, and I am finding that the older stiffer, wider paddle helps me quickly get up to speed in this crappy surf, so I am (cautiously) going back to the old paddle when SUP surfing, but I always use my QB for everything else (flatwater, downwind, riding in light bumps / pseudo-surf).

I would take your time and research all your options. I have been out of the paddle-buying scene for a few years now. However I ALWAYS liked Kialoa - my son had a Kialoa when he did 6-man canoe racing, and I nearly bought one of their paddles myself. I remember watching a lot of youtube videos and saw how the owner of Quick Blade REALLY does a lot of research on fluid dynamics and how paddle shape affects things.. and at the time this Trifecta had just come out (I think Travis Smith helped develop it). I'll bet QB still is one of the best overall, and I'll bet they have a good selection of SUP surf-type paddles also..
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
I bought my first KeNalu eight years ago, and the only thing I've changed of the years is the blade size when the size of my SUPs changed, and then finally when I went to a small foil board. Has been as long as I can remember, the combo has been the xTuf blade, Ergo T handle, and xTuf(S) shaft.

As the boards got smaller the blades got larger until I recently put the Molokai 105 into service when my wave entry on the shorter SUP (foil) is several slower, longer strokes to get the board moving as the wave approaches, and then one or two strong long pulls to lift as the wave begins to lift me. After stroke #3, if the board's not in the wave and off the water...I'm done, and turn back out.

The other thing I do a little out of the norm, is offset the handle and blade alignment slightly...

This turns the blade outward slightly when I hold the handle normally, and helps pull the nose of the board towards the paddle stroke, and automatically puts sort of a "J-stroke" or maybe even a "C-stroke" that prevents the board from yawing, and allows me to paddle straight w/o even having to change sides on the board.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 10:49:46 PM »
Those are all good options. I haven't experienced flutter on any of my different paddles for years. I even just bought a used Riviera Vantage for $40. and it doesn't flutter either. Maybe a technique thing? Or maybe I don't pay attention to it anymore?
well i  didnt notice it till trying the other shape. then it became obvious.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 11:58:29 PM »
kenalu mana with the cheaper shaft and don't look back.  very very stable in the water and just feels smooth in every way

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 03:37:39 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Werner Rip Stick 79 (which is what I have now). The Rip Stick especially with the smaller diameter shaft just less strain on shoulders. Big fan of a smaller overall blade to increase cadence with surf.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
Werner Rip stik and ke nalu Mana are at the top of my list.  I'm still rocking an OG ke nalu maliko xtuf and haven't switched yet.
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Werner Rip Stick 79 (which is what I have now). The Rip Stick especially with the smaller diameter shaft just less strain on shoulders. Big fan of a smaller overall blade to increase cadence with surf.

appears sold out

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »
The only word of caution I would say would be I have broken bout 4 or 5 paddles since I started sup surfing. All were carbon.

2 were adjustable and just snapped whilst pulling hard

2 were good quality ones. again just snapped but I probably damaged it slightly in transit and one I landed on after falling in the water and perhaps weakened it

final one ended up with the shaft jammed between the thruster fin setup and a wave torqued the blade and snapped it with ease.

Having said that- I haven't broken one in a couple of years. It's a gong and not ultralight.

So I would say surfing is quite tough on kit- especially if you're a beginner. Any built in weakness (adjustable) or the featherweight designs are more likely to break.

Only other thing is despite my reasonably large size and build I do like a small blade size for quick acceleration.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 11:52:25 PM »
Yeah adjustable pr multipiece designs are hopeless for surfing, and break all the time. They seize, too.

But I've never broken a one piece. If they do break its usually because of user error, which is why experienced surfers break fewer paddles.

So it's a good point maybe for a total beginner not to spend too much on the first couple.of paddles if you are a surfer.

The Gong paddles are incredible value. I have several of their 7" wide pro carbon paddles and prefer them to several much more expensive paddles i have from top brands. The shaft is so forgiving on the body, and there is something about the shaft and blad e combo that makes them really good for getting into waves and downwind bumps.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »
gong available in USA?

AndiHL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
The Gong paddles are incredible value. I have several of their 7" wide pro carbon paddles and prefer them to several much more expensive paddles i have from top brands. The shaft is so forgiving on the body, and there is something about the shaft and blad e combo that makes them really good for getting into waves and downwind bumps.

Can I ask you how tall you are?
I am wavering between the 7 and the 8. I currently have an 82 sq-inch paddle and the 7 is even smaller (76), but the 8 is 100 sq-inch.
I need the paddle for mushy, onshore-wind waves.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 08:18:25 AM »
I have been using the Black Project Surge for a year now and love it, but I don't have much to compare it to. I went from a carbon travel paddle from Hala to the Surge so the difference was unbelievable. I liked the customer service I got from them, they chatted with me about height, weight, injuries, etc. and tried to make sure I got the best possible paddle. Every time a friend picks it up they accuse me of cheating since it's so light. I even had a guy tell me I shouldn't be surfing with a "cheap walmart paddle" in big surf because it was going to break.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
People have a ton of opinions on this, but honestly, a surf-specific paddle - it's probably more about getting the proper height and blade size more than brand or anything else. I went through Kialoa, KeNalu, Hippostick you name it, and it all came down to getting the proper blade size (smaller than you would think - 79 sq in) and the right length (head high).

I've had no issues since I got those things right. The biggest problem I see with SUP surfers and it's even worse when they get on foils is having a paddle that is too long and a blade that is too big. You need a quick stroke to inititate speed for waves, and you need to have the right length so you can properly lower your body/center of gravity.

Ok, rant done.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal