Author Topic: Fanatic Stubby 8'7 vs Naish Manas or something bulkier?  (Read 2347 times)

SupMeder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Fanatic Stubby 8'7 vs Naish Manas or something bulkier?
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:36 AM »
Hi guys,

I have been enjoying and benefitting from the great commentary in this forum.

My question falls between the Skills and Equipment category. I am an intermediate surf-paddler with on-off experience since 2016. My first board was a Mistral Malibu (10'6 X 32 X 190lt-- ie monstrous] on which I learned to catch small waves. My second board was a bit of a leap in terms of downsizing (found an attractive deal) is a Fanatic Stubby 8'7 X29/12 X 120lt [2018].

My issue is that the Stubby still feels too unstable in the conditions that we usually get in [Athens] Greece which is very choppy, mostly windy, windswell and short period/mushy and 'disordely'  small-ish waves (in the winter we might get bigger esp outside of Athens). I know that more time on the board would allow me a better grasp but I am also thinking that it's a waste of time when I go to a spot for a couple hours and fail to catch waves or struggle with balancing. I have also come to realize that only by doing consecutive sessions do I feel more confident on the board (which means that the not-so often nature of conditions here doesn't provide consistent training-- I feel starting all over when time goes by between sessions- is that your sense?).

And so I am thinking whether it might make sense to get a board that is just slightly more stable than the Stubby without sacrificing too much of its small/light turnable nature. I think it's the width and the thin-ness of the Stubby that makes it feel unstable for me (though I do of course enjoy that only slight pressure on the rails is enough to turn it).

I have found a good deal on some old (2014) Naish boards. The 8'5 and 8'10 Mana (132 lit, 30 1/2 width), and then some wide Hokuas (e.g 7'2 X32 X120 lt, 9'1 X32X150lt) and a couple narrower but big-ish Hokuas (9'0: 28 3/4 X 125lt and 9'5, 29 1/2 X 140lt).

The question is should it simply persist and acquire more skill on the Stubby or would any of the other Naish options provide similar surfing/gliding characteristics but offer more stability. I certainly wouldn't want back the corkiness of my Malibu big board (I see that the Hokuas that are 32 wide are quite thick) and I am very appreciative of the lightness and turnability of the Stubby. Looking for a sort of golden/happy medium.

Anyone from you experienced folks have any words of wisdom/advice?
Thanks very much!

My own stats: 180cm height (5feet10), 74kg (163 pounds).

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fanatic Stubby 8'7 vs Naish Manas or something bulkier?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »
Welcome to the Foil Foilling Winging ----sup forum.  ::) There are still some SUP paddlers here.
I'd say width is the main issue in chop. Most of the Naish boards you listed are probably way too much volume for you, and some are the same width as your Stubby.

Something that is short with a thin wider tail....
https://www.smiksup.com/hipster-twin-fin  8'-3"
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup  8'-0"
http://www.l41surfcraft.com/models-sup ST or TV dinner
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »
I went through a similar journey.  A wide board can speed up the downsizing process by feeling less tippy.  But a wide board can highlight poor technique (if you are still falling).  For improving technique, I found the points in this thread helpful.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Mastering-lateral-balance-on-a-small-SUP-board?page=1
I found a shorter paddle helped (higher cadence and lower center of gravity).  Focus on the water 6’ from your board, as those are the forces approaching your board.  Use your paddle to counteract those forces.
I tried a 32” board and didn’t find it more stable than my other 30” boards.  I found pintails more stable than a wider tale.  In windy conditions, I prefer a shorter board as porting the board is easier.  I found larger fins more stable than smaller fins.  I found 2+1 more stable than quads.  I found with wind, the higher the board sits in the water, the more likely the board to catch wind and make the board feel tippy.
I would recommend a pintail board.  For me, a guild factor of 1.5 was perfect for a quick progression, keeping the board small enough to not be too buoyant, but sufficient for stability.  For 74 kg, with a gf =1.5, you should look for a board around 111L.
For pintails boards, maybe check out:
GenRation Kanga 8’3" x 29 1/8” 109.8L  https://genration.com/collections/boards/products/kanga?variant=34941983260806
GenRation Kanga 8’6” x 30” 120L
Joe Blair 8'3" x 30" 121L (or custom 111L).  https://www.jblairsurf.com/2018-sup-models/
Blue Planet All Good 8’8” x 31” 126L https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/88-x-31-x-126l-all-good-2020.html

I have tried the L41 ST and TV dinner.  I would not recommend them to someone struggling with balance.  Awesome boards, but I prefer those boards for clean conditions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:18:26 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:17:44 PM »
The fact that I found a pintail to be more stable was counter intuitive.  But with the additional area of the tail of wider boards, gives more torque for forces pushing on it (chop/wind), making it feel more tippy in choppy/windy conditions.
Here are some more pintails: https://jimmylewis.com/wave/
8’7” x 29.5” 110L Stun Gun
8’ x 30” 115L Destroyer MP
9’2” x 30.25” 124L Stun Gun
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:28:36 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:05:28 PM »
Supmeder,  If you like the Stubby it might be worth putting in some training time with it on flat water. Paddling flat water with wind can help a lot with your balance and keep you in touch with your board in between surf sessions. I haven’t had the pleasure of surfing in Athens so I don’t know if there are any protected bays nearby or wind directions that don’t produce waves that could be used for practice. as Sflinux mentioned a shorter paddle, around head high, will help.  I would also work on paddling in a surf stance or modified surf stance all the time in high winds. It will help if you keep your feet closer to the stringerline rather than out on the rails. It is easiest to balance when your board is moving at least a little bit. It is also easier to balance when your paddle is in the water, so keep that in mind when you are waiting for waves.

If you are ready to move on, I would look for something with the same volume but wider and shorter. I actually think a thicker rail would work better for you in slow wind swell. I would try to find something without a ton of tail rocker that has enough width in the tail so that it is easy for you to get on the tail block without stalling the board even in slow waves.  I am unfamiliar with Gong’s lineup but I would guess that they sell some boards designed for wind swell in the Med. And finally, even if you get a new board I would recommend the flat water trading etc.

SupMeder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »
Guy hi again!

Thanks so much the welcoming note and the great, useful responses.

@TallDude: Thanks! I believe the Sunovas might be the only brand of the 3 I might be able to locate here. I will look into them.

@sflinux: thanks for the great link and the suggestions -- I have actually tried to find a significantly bigger fin to use as a 'center fin' but the Stubby comes with these Future boxes and all the thruster or quad setups I find on the market all below 5 (is that possible though? that there's a Future fin that isn't like a 6 or 7?).
Really iteresting on pintail and liters (makes me steer away from the over 120lt boards I have been pondering)- it really goes against the marketing Zeitgeist that presents Stubby-like boards as more stable.

@surlygringo: Cheers for these recommendations-- I totally agree on the need to practice more and intend to do so in the kinds of conditions you are describing (they abound in Athens- what we are lacking is the more oceanic, steady- longer-period wave)- One thing to note (though perhaps more a point for a behavioural psychologist) is that though I feel consecutive days of practice produce surprisingly positive results-stability I do feel these results are somewhat lost if I let go for a few weeks/months to pass (is this something anyone else has noticed?).

I already shortened my paddle and intend to delve into homework on stability- I will report back!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard