Author Topic: What gear are you wearing for DW runs in (50F waters) ?  (Read 11248 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: What gear are you wearing for DW runs in (50F waters) ?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 11:28:21 PM »
Doesn't get as cold here in the winter. I bought a 3/4 wetsuit for colder downwinders. I just can't wear it. Like you I am sweating too much. Actually jump in too cool down and have a break.
 I am looking at a 1.5 or 2mm long john. Better ones have a lining and windstopper coating. Good waterproof jacket for kayaking or some companies do SUP ones now. Then you can layer accordingly under it. I also have kayak pants with the waterproof socks built in. Big neoprene waste band so it seals well.
 Do you have phone reception where you are paddling. I always carry a phone in a waterproof case.
 Yes i use 2 leashes. But have been told not to use the fwd leash point on bigger days as you don't wont the board sideways in the surf. It might rip the plug out. Havnt gone that big yet! I also use a waist belt now. I find it much more comfortable and it keeps the leash off the board.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 11:40:35 PM »
These are the trousers I have. I don't use them often but stay dry when I do. I have fallen in and no water gets in.
 I bought them for sailing in the UK. I have spent all day in them in the rain and waist deep in water and still had dry socks at the end of the day.
 I bought them a little bigger than what I thought I needed which was a mistake. The socks are big enough to get thick socks on.
https://www.nookie.co.uk/product/evolution-dry-trousers-fabric-socks/

Kip

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
Tarquin,

Thanks man! Appreciate the tips.
I will check out those pants.

We have fairly good service. On the lake for sure, some spots in the bay, not so much. Might pick up one of those radios.

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
Note:
My experience does NOT include downwinding offshore.... all paddling is in bays, rivers and estuaries encircled by land, even if miles wide and remote.

Conditions I frequently paddle flatwater:
Sub freezing all the time (lowest was -8 F)
Through thick salt ice, even at 3" thick, it is soft enough to push through
Blizzards, windy and snowing hard
ha ha... what can I say, I like extremes, when they offer the right conditions for my paddle plan.
There is an amazing peace in a snowstorm.

As to my recommendation for the Explorer Boots
That is for flatwater paddling, where conditions are fairly benign.
The secret to warm feet for me was a combination of very thick wool socks and dry feet.
To accommodate  the thick socks, I buy my Explorer boots 2 sizes too big, that way the socks fit without the boots getting to tight.

The reason my feet stay dry is because the boots are tall enough to walk out to launch depth without getting water in.

For downwinding, loose boots with thick sock could become a problem if they get water in after a heavy wipeout.
Not sure if these boots would be a help or hindrance for downwinding needs.

Hands:
Surfing in sub freezing temps my hands are fine in wetsuit gloves, however:
Wetsuit gloves are NOT fine when paddling flatwater in sub freezing temps... especially into the wind.

SO.... I wear normal ski gloves. My hands are toasty in any temp and wind, and the grip is perfect for a paddle.
BUT.... I carry wetsuit gloves as a backup, in case I fall in and they get wet.
Wet Ski gloves are dangerous in sub freezing temps.
The wetsuit gloves, while not the ideal warmth, will get me home with all my fingers.

My gear is specific to the winter flatwater paddling that I do, but
I'll post this pic of the gear that keeps me safe, comfortable and happy in cold New England winters

Kip

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
You’re an animal!
Guess I should stop bitching when it gets below 45  ;)

Thanks for sharing man. Very helpful to see what other folks are doing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal