Author Topic: What gear are you wearing for DW runs in (50F waters) ?  (Read 11247 times)

Kip

What gear are you wearing for DW runs in (50F waters) ?
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
Just curious what folks are wearing for DW runs in “moderate” conditions.
I have a 3 mil farmer John I wear if things are choppy, but do get a little concerned if  something were to happen.
Biggest conditions I’d go out in are 30-40mph gusts. Water temp stays around 50. Ambient temp can be around 40. But it even SUCKS to wear a 3 mil when you’re working. That paired with a PFD and I’m sweating my ass off.

What do you all do ?

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What gear are you wearing for DW runs in (50F waters) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:21:27 PM »
Hi Kip - It all depends on the conditions.  Anything below 25 mph - I wear 2 mil pants and a long sleeve rash guard and a short sleeve water shirt.  Anything above 25 mph or so - I wear a 3/4 mil wetsuit. This is for 50 degree water in the winter time. Of course a pfd.  Been using a Vaikobe.  Great pfd.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 05:20:21 AM »
I think most people would need a minimum of a 3/2 full suit to survive an hour in 50-degree water and there are some like myself who would need a 4/3. A lot depends on the air temperature as well.

For downwinders, I wear as much rubber as I can comfortably tolerate for the air temps and make damn sure I don't lose my board.

I also had good luck with the Ocean Rodeo drysuit. I found it very comfortable in air temps from 20F to 60F and comfortable in the water as long as air and water temps were within 15 degrees of each other. The problem with loose-fitting drysuits is that you can't swim very far in them. So you might have to drift and hope for rescue.

I wear a Mustang waist pack PFD.

I wish I hadn't sold my JL M-14. That was an awesome board.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:49:53 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
Winter paddling including downwind, I use a light SupSkin drysuit with a layer under and importantly a layer on top that goes from a windbreaker to a 1 or 1.5 Supreme jacket.
The body and head are never the problem, the feet are. I have yet to find a system that doesn't get my feet numbs on a 20km paddle. Even when moving around the board some.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:07:39 AM »
Winter paddling including downwind, I use a light SupSkin drysuit with a layer under and importantly a layer on top that goes from a windbreaker to a 1 or 1.5 Supreme jacket.
The body and head are never the problem, the feet are. I have yet to find a system that doesn't get my feet numbs on a 20km paddle. Even when moving around the board some.
Need warm feet?
Waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/DEGBIT-Rechargeable-Adjustable-Temperatures-Waterproof/dp/B08CXT4MWL/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+feet+warmers&qid=1605726308&sr=8-9

I does refer to being washable only when talking about the waterproof aspect? You might get juiced on a paddle:) Plus the batteries are not water proof. Might have to modify....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:19:31 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
My 7mm Xcel Dryloc boots have always kept my feet warm when surfing, even in 20F air and 35F water. When it's that cold, I pour hot water into them just before I go out and it helps a lot.

There were a couple of times when my feet did get cold on long, below freezing, flatwater paddles. Probably because the boots did not get submerged very often.

Supthecreek used to rave about the boots he wore for winter flatwater on Cape Cod. I almost bought a pair. Now I can't remember what they were.

I was just checking out the SupSkin drysuits and they look pretty nice. Not quite as baggy as the Ocean Rodeo that I had. The great thing about these type of suits is that they are breathable so you stay fairly comfortable as the temperature fluctuates. It's also easy to remove or add an inside layer if you need to, and what a pleasure it is to take off the suit after a long paddle in the rain and/or snow and be completely dry. I often just wore my regular street clothes under mine.

https://youtu.be/vy3qWhN2TWI
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:13:21 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 09:16:44 PM »
All I have to say is, dress for the swim.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »
Supthecreek used to rave about the boots he wore for winter flatwater on Cape Cod. I almost bought a pair. Now I can't remember what they were.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22864.msg229637.html#msg229637
Neosport Explorer Boots:  Based on supthecreek's recommendation, I bought a pair for winter predawn paddling and I like them.
For those less experienced readers, ALWAYS wear a leash when there is wind, swell, or current.
I think as long as you are not cramping, then you are not overly dressed.  I've been there with the farmer john 3mm and sweating.  Now I try to dress down to minimize the sweating, but am conscious of when I get cold, and layer up as needed.  My season has gone from board shorts, to a 1.5mm short sleeve wetsuit, to a 3/2mm full suit, to the 3 mm farmer john w/wo a 1.5mm top (and maybe a 2mm vest inside).  If I suspect I will be in the water a lot and the 3/2 is not warm enough, I wear the 1.5 mm short sleeve wetsuit, inside the 3/2 full suit, in lieu of the farmer john.  For my head, I wear a bibbed windproof fleece hood with a helmet to protect the ears.  For gloves, I like supthecreek's recommendation of ripcurl 5 finger flashbombs:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34269.msg389517.html#msg389517
And yes a pfd too. 
When overly dressed, wearing a hydrationpack with electrolytes can help mimimize cramping.
I almost drowned once by not dressing warm enough.  I was kitesurfing and was on a long tack and a gust came and broke my front line (possibly jet wash).  Then the wind died and I had trouble self rescuing back to shore.  I was underdressed with a spring suit and an impact vest (not coast guard approved).  I had a small twintip.  The tidal current was pushing me offshore, and I was losing daylight.  During my 2.5 h trek back to shore, my legs started cramping bad.  I ended up getting rescued (towed) by 2 windsurfers.  Hypothermia is no joke, especially when it affects your decision making.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:00:02 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »
Need warm feet?
Waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/DEGBIT-Rechargeable-Adjustable-Temperatures-Waterproof/dp/B08CXT4MWL/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+feet+warmers&qid=1605726308&sr=8-9

I does refer to being washable only when talking about the waterproof aspect? You might get juiced on a paddle:) Plus the batteries are not water proof. Might have to modify....

I will have to ask the victims of torture what 12v feels like on a wet body...... :o
I think that one of the issue is also restrictions. As soon as you start using water shoes or booties and layering it seems somewhat to restrict the blood flow. Specially has these are usually narrow in shape which works well when not wearing anything in them.
I did remove a couple of mm of the gasket on the legs of my SupSkin as it was too tight for that reason.
The Explorer boots I had were sized so small that the feet were very uncomfortable in them and I had already took a size up at least. Going any bigger and it would look like a musketeer.
But maybe I should give them another try getting another size up......
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:24:18 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
I was just checking out the SupSkin drysuits and they look pretty nice. Not quite as baggy as the Ocean Rodeo that I had. The great thing about these type of suits is that they are breathable so you stay fairly comfortable as the temperature fluctuates. It's also easy to remove or add an inside layer if you need to, and what a pleasure it is to take off the suit after a long paddle in the rain and/or snow and be completely dry. I often just wore my regular street clothes under mine.

Yes for me it has been the best outfit to date for normal paddling used in conjunction with layering. Waves are of course a different story and a 5/4 hooded is more to the point.
Blackfish Paddles

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
For those less experienced readers, ALWAYS wear a leash when there is wind, swell, or current.

Not just a leash, but a leash in good condition.

Some of the leashes I've seen people using are pathetic.  People who let their leash drag on the ground behind them or let it sit in the sun every day for weeks at a time are not thinking about the consequences. Don't wait until your leash breaks to get a new one. Replace it every three or four years even if it still looks new. They get stretched out and the parts weaken over time.

The same goes for the loop that you attach the leash to. It's a good idea to have two loops, one short and one long of high-quality line. That way if it breaks, you have back up. David John almost died on a downwinder because his loop broke and the board went flying away downwind. If a boat hadn't happened to be passing by before the sun went down, he might not have survived.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:31:19 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
The NeoSport Explore are not available so I decided to try these guys taking a size 12 so 1.5 size up for thick wool socks.
Blackfish Paddles

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 03:04:59 AM »
All I have to say is, dress for the swim.

Second that.

Just curious what folks are wearing for DW runs in “moderate” conditions.
 But it even SUCKS to wear a 3 mil when you’re working. That paired with a PFD and I’m sweating my ass off.

What do you all do ?

I get the impression from what you say that you are overheating.

To answer your question I fall in plenty.

It's always hard to get what you wear just right. For DW's I dress for the swim, so wetsuit. I put a light one one and a windbreaker around my waist should I get cold. A simple windbreaker over a wetsuit warms you up quite a lot. Especially if you are wet and it's windy out.

Kip

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
I really appreciate the input, everyone! Thanks so much. Some good stuff I might look into buying.

And yes, Yugi. You are correct.

Today it was mid 40's (water about the same) gusting 35. I had a thin pair of whool socks, 2 mil neoprene socks, and 3 mill booties. That paired with a long sleeve tech shirt and a 3 mil farmer john. I had the farmer john half zipped, but the wind direction changed (different direction than forecast) and pushed me away from my return point. When I turned around to paddle back upwind to my truck I zipped the top piece on because I was nervous about falling in and HOT DAMN! I got warm quick. I never fell in because I was on my wider board, but just haven't quite figured what's going to work best for me.

I guess at the end of the day it's risk v.s. benefit. Like everything else we do.

Anyone ever wear two leashes ? One connected to the rear attachment point and one attached to the front ? Thought about that for when I join the boys on the Bay, but don't want to get too wrapped up. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 12:28:45 AM »
Anyone ever wear two leashes ?

Yes, many have used two leashes. There is more risk of a tangle but the added security is worth it when the swim could easily kill you. Even if you make it to shore, the hike to safety might be extremely cold after being in the water.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal