Author Topic: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible  (Read 14868 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 07:45:44 AM »
2 pages into a conversation on Video Editing and we haven't seen a single example of VIDEO that this application can do.

Please share.  Enough with the talk.  Video is worth 1 million words.  Not pro stuff but clips or edits by dilettantes. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2020, 09:46:41 AM »
2 pages into a conversation on Video Editing and we haven't seen a single example of VIDEO that this application can do.

Please share.  Enough with the talk.  Video is worth 1 million words.  Not pro stuff but clips or edits by dilettantes.

+1. Well said.
in progress...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
This software just came out a few days ago.  You did get me to look back at some stuff that I shot a long time ago from when we were still living on Maui.  I filmed this with a gopro on my head from my OC-1.  It is amazing that we could only upload 720 at that time (and it was 480 just before then).  I think how sweet this could be with current gear and software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxA8AMb9sHg

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
Hah!  Here is 480 one that I did a few years earlier.  It looks antique!  Man, have things become easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJm9JQVj6M

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Ooh, here is another of me and Mike doing a Molokai.  I didn't shoot this one, but the image stabilization in Resolve is really good and it would make this perfectly smooth, level the horizon, all of those little things that make viewing more fun.  Of course, the stabilization in GoPros (etc) is awesome now as well. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:06:23 AM by Admin »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Admin,
You might be able to reprocess these in Resolve and do some stabilization. Another thing is to re-finalize these and re-upload them to YouTube in HD. The last one I just did uploaded in HD and it is way better than any of my previous videos.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
Wait, some of these went to Vimeo which was a little better back then:

Oh, man, Slater was a little boy back then.  Kent Apo, killing it!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2020, 12:23:45 PM »
Great stuff. I love the Big boards on Big slope'y waves. A younger Dave and Laird bumping down the faces. Creek would love this video.
The Vimeo was a little better.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »
Better mask tracking sounds great.
Clip match sounds great, shoot just improved/auto color matching between different camera brands.
Stabilizion always welcome, the new gopros don't really need it but every other hand held does.
Adobe does all this with varying success and ease.

My comments about gps are mostly with 360 cameras.
I remember liking racerender.  I switched to something else for some reason, it was either I needed more control over distance tracking and units of measure, and/or the mph was underreported compared to other software.

Dashware could be an amazing program and same with Virb edit but for some strange reason they both seem to have been abandoned.  I  suspect gps overlay is ahead of it's time and needs to become super easy before lots of people use it.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
Actually I'm using v16, I guess I need to upgrade to the beta to see what you're talking about. V16 has more bells and whistles than I can possibly use. Unless 17 completely eliminates me from the editing process--like Trace attempted to do, it's probably wasted on me.

With your long documented contempt for editing anything longer than an animated GIF i'm shocked you've even had the patience to download V16 :P what gives?

Drugs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »

Dashware could be an amazing program and same with Virb edit but for some strange reason they both seem to have been abandoned.  I  suspect gps overlay is ahead of it's time and needs to become super easy before lots of people use it.

Garmin was first with GPS built into the cam.  I was using Dashware, Gopro and a Garmin watch back then.  Gopro bought Dashware in 2015 to catch up to the Garmin Virb.
Gopro/Dashware became Quik.  Gopro stopped supporting Dashware.  I was a bit miffed.  I moved to Racerender.  Quik was (apparently still is) a train wreck.   

Social media was taking off, Gopro had to follow the market.  Software/Firmware was always behind and full of bugs.  Internet  selfie stuff was always first for Gopro, desktop was (is) lacking.     

Personally, I've never had issues with telemetry on Gopro cams.  I got wise to the bluetooth/phone problems early on and have avoided them ever since.  Great cameras.  My 8 has never had a glitch.  Rock solid. 

I had a quick look at the Gopro Support forums and it sounds like the same old story. 8, Max and 9 are so far ahead of the Quik software that Gopro is doing a complete overhaul.  They are calling it "Mural."  Hope it works out for you guys.

Rando, those videos from the wayback machine are awesome.  Your vids were always the best.. That's the best thing about the zone, you have archived every post since day one.  I love looking back at the good old days.  Thanks for that.

Devin is still in top shape - flying on SUP.  She still tasks me in my ski.  All the others are foiling.  Dave's in the 30's.  Jeremy and Kathy are in the low 40's.  Wings everywhere too.     

Here's a couple from the old days.  Pre GPS and a Dashware/gopro/garmin.

https://youtu.be/xzc0b1cClkk

https://youtu.be/YCkC06mjUmg

Something recent with the 8.  Pull the micro SD, jam it into the desktop - Racerender does the rest. One and done.  Easy.  I don't do text or fades anymore .  I just want that little speed graph for my downwinding... 9.8mph average in this clip Rando...

https://youtu.be/B_FlTgM_Xw4

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:19:30 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2020, 02:16:39 AM »
Clip match sounds great, shoot just improved/auto color matching between different camera brands.

Resolve has a really cool drag and drop option that you can lay on any clip or group of clips called color space transform.  You select your camera specifics (DJI drone for example) and the input gamma that you were using to shoot (D log for example) and then the camera you want to match to, let's say Canon and Canon Log 2.  This is much more robust than the clip match feature.  It will match any cameras very well. 

It is really great for single camera use as well if you like the look of another camera.  Everyone has developed really good LUT's for the Arri Alexa, So if you convert your camera to that Arri look, then apply a LUT designed for Arri, you are pretty far along.  Very cool.

Alternately, you can do this at a project level using ACES.  This works really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqK3Jxiu4HU
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:34:37 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 02:49:04 AM »
All the others are foiling.  Dave's in the 30's.  Jeremy and Kathy are in the low 40's.  Wings everywhere too.     

Amazing!  Those foiling Maliko times are approaching too fast.  Even at surface speeds it was over a little too quickly.  I loved doing downwinders with you all.  Watching these vids really brought back that stoke.  So fun. I could see dedicating a decade to downwind SUP foiling (or downwind prone foiling) but for me that ship has sailed.  I've talked to Kathy a few times when she was setting up for winging.  I am sure she is ripping now.  It is great to see you charging on the ski!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:51:00 AM by Admin »

supthecreek

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »
Great stuff. I love the Big boards on Big slope'y waves. A younger Dave and Laird bumping down the faces. Creek would love this video.
The Vimeo was a little better.

Yes, I was totally loving the old footage!
A real pleasure to watch smooth flow and good lines.... yewwwww!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 04:06:08 AM »
Here is another run I did with Dave.  That was my first boat!  He had a second GoPro on his head and I remember that footage was super cool to watch on my monitor before YouTube upload.  Head footage is nice but it makes it all look so flat and slow.  I think the perspective from an OC-1 or a ski is great for downwind.  Lower to water gives me that in it feel and riding parallel you get some sense of the speed.  I wish I had saved this stuff but I tend to trash everything.  I had some amazing GoPro footage shot from OC1 of a big winter swell (extremely high wind) Maliko run with Alan and Scott Trudon (who was and probably still is a beast at downwind).  That one seems lost to time.  OC1 perspective would be great for shooting foiling downwind.  Foilers would have to wait for a canoe but in my opinion the fly-bys look outstanding anyways.  There might be a time for that.  This really reminds me how much I enjoyed that particular glide. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:38:24 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal