Author Topic: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible  (Read 14872 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
Does Davinci load the GPS data from GoPro footage like Apple editors will? 

Adobe Premiere Elements does NOT.  Adobe Premiere PRO DOES.

I haven't tried that.  How/where is that data showing up in the editors where it is working?

Yeah how where for what purpose?

Apple reads the GPS data from gogpro files AND creates overlay gages??

In windows the only way I know to get the overlay is a multistep royal pain in the ass:  2 different software programs, an online grabber, one render to see it, a second render to edit it, and a third render for anyone else to see it.  Poop.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »

I haven't tried that.  How/where is that data showing up in the editors where it is working?

Racerender is an excellent program, stable, simple and user friendly.

Drag and drop your first gopro file.

Racerender will ask you (with a pop up) "we noticed your file may be part of a set, would you like Racerender to join them?"  (It will link the 5 minute clips into one video).
Click yes.

Racerender will then ask you (with a pop up) "we noticed your file has embedded telemetry, would you like to use it?"
Click yes. 

Add your gauge template.  Start editing. 

Nice big lower res editing screen is quick and easy to see.  Big ribbon on the side is easy to understand. 

Edit out the extra and render a video file.  You can render various resolutions, Custom, Local, Internet and TV.   

I googled a bit and Davinci guys use Racerender.

Personally, I don't post process anything.  I render my clips at 'internet' - for Youtube.  On occasion, "local" to grab stills. 

The Davinci guys likely have hardware that can render video like shit thru a goose. 

BTW, that promo reel for Davinci blew my mind.
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »
Here's a short video of a stick fish slamming into my ski.  He's fine, no harm done. 

Gopro 8 at 4k60.  9 stills grabbed of the airborne fish. 

They look good on my monitor, you can see the teeth.   :)

https://youtu.be/HGkVI5jvfqw

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »

In windows the only way I know to get the overlay is a multistep royal pain in the ass:  2 different software programs, an online grabber, one render to see it, a second render to edit it, and a third render for anyone else to see it.  Poop.

Have you tried GoPro Quik?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U19Rod0rm0

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 12:15:41 AM »
It's embedded in the .mp4 or similar files as long as you have set your camera / GoPro GPS to ON. Same as it's embedded in a .jpg.

It looks like LPB is saying that GoPro is embedding the Telemetry data and that some apps are using that to create their own overlays.  Is that what Apple is doing?  You can selectively toggle telemetry elements on and off, reposition them, etc. within the app?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:30:42 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 07:37:15 AM »
Yes, mp4, mov, avi, etc are the wrappers that encapsulate the “essence” of the media.

H.264, ProRes, MPEG2, etc are the codecs, which define the true format of the video essence. Think of it like soup in a can. The can can be aluminum or steel but the soup is still tomato. The software that plays it is the can opener.

Wrappers allow you to have multiple tracks, media like video, audio (2, or more like 5.1) and then metadata like captions and yes, the telemetry.

Which tracks are playable is up to the software so some can see these natively and some need plugins. Ironically the more “pro” often the less likely a package is to include stuff like displaying telemetry since the pro cameras don’t offer GPS in most cases yet. This is no slam on FCP, it’s amazing but in my business it’s got less than maybe 5% of the market. But I’m at the high end of the high end. The user base is strong and the product rocks.

Adobe and BM/Resolve know that any pro that needs something like GPS data will pay for a plugin.

But in the next few years we will see the rise of a new video delivery format that contains tons of metadata. So your Netflix playback will let you turn on all sorts of things from alternate languages (like 12!!) to alt music, commentary, and all sorts of stuff. Sports will likely include telemetry for cars and boats (and people!) and such.

Video Metadata is my core business. In fact, one of our internal hoodies we gave staff has a graphic that’s the Metallica logo font but the text says “MetadatA”.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 08:15:16 AM »

When Clay says its hard ITS HARD!  GPS tracking doesn't come easily.  Oh Yeah!  TRACE did it all for you for FREE but they are defunct.  I am always amazed when technology takes a step backwards and simply disappears.

Trace came out 5 years ago and I thought everyone Was Going to be ON IT.  Then Poof! 

Another was Yahoo Quotes.  I used to be able to strip those down En-Masse.  I built a hedge fund off those quotes and was going to make a TRILLION $$$.  That was in 2006.  Then the buzz saw of 2008, Bernie Madoff . . . . I go back to consulting and some of my co-workers AT MY FIRM advise Yahoo to stop giving free quotes.  "OATH"  Really thanks!  No more quotes. 

But I do love metadata.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »
Here's a short video of a stick fish slamming into my ski.  He's fine, no harm done. 

Gopro 8 at 4k60.  9 stills grabbed of the airborne fish. 

They look good on my monitor, you can see the teeth.   :)

https://youtu.be/HGkVI5jvfqw

No harm done I saw all his teeth fall out! Did you edit this with Davinci??

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 08:49:55 AM »
Meanwhile - The GoPro 360 footage is SIMPLY STUNNING.

But you have to spend time getting into into 1080P first then edit.  I have been running out of steam on the first go-around.  Much less stitching it all together and adding music.

Here was an example of a HOT Tamale on the North Shore of Oahu last week.  No one else is paddling into these waves.  Everyone going too short or getting towed in.  This was an 8+ foot wave with Sizzle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOsUWiVqHU

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 10:10:35 AM »
Great wave. Your North Shore memory. And you didn't breach.... That looked pretty steep to foil.

It's nice that YouTube is doing higher def uploads now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:12:30 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »

When Clay says its hard ITS HARD!  GPS tracking doesn't come easily.

Did you try the Quik app in the vid above (it is still available)?  It looks very straight forward.  Tick the boxes that you want to overlay and export.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
No harm done I saw all his teeth fall out! Did you edit this with Davinci??

Ha ha, thanks, but no DaVinci for me. 
I'm only interested in the real time GPS data onscreen.
I don't do any post processing.   

I record my Gopro, drag it into Racerender, add my template and watch.  That's it.

If I want to upload, I'll render a clip.  Logon to Youtube.  Maybe add music (with the crappy Youtube editor) and off it goes.  Seems plenty fast with my basic desktop/graphics card and 20Mbps upload connection.

Racerender is easy and fast because it's simple.  No bells and whistles, no online anything. 

I'm leery of personal data mining.  That's why I steered away from Gopro's editors (Quik).

DaVinci users without a "plugin" may prefer Racerender because it has the 'custom' output.  I'm guessing they go straight thru with no loss of resolution. Then they post process with DaVinci.     

Race render is ok for small guys too.  A few clicks and I'm watching.  I like the real time GPS for my downwinding.  Gopro is 18Hz, so it's quite accurate.           
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:34:09 PM by LaPerouseBay »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 02:37:04 AM »
The beautiful thing with this update is how much effort they put into improving things for the at home user.  They obviously have a huge user base that is (at least in part) using this with a common laptop because they have made a lot of improvements for making that easy.  All controls are now very keyboard, trackpad and mouse friendly.  Ther are also a host of new functions that you can enjoy even on your quickest edits.

A few examples.  You can format for Instagram, Facebook, Vertical for a phone, etc, (any format you choose) and the software can (through its neural engine) determine the subject and reframe the sequence.  This same function can be used if you want zoom in on and follow action within a shot.  So, if you have a distant subject who is occupying a small portion of the frame, this can be extremely useful and save hours of keyframing...and it works insanely well.  If you have two people talking for instance it will pan back and forth detecting the subject and it does so with easing curves  (super smooth motion). 

Also, there is a new feature called magic mask.  If you draw a small line on a face it will detect the person, select them, and track them through the sequence.  It will isolate just their face, their clothes, etc.  The selection accuracy is amazing and is infinitely refine-able.    You can use that to adjust either the selection, the inverse or both individually.  No roto required. 

There is a new Color Warper that lets you drag directly on the image to make color adjustments to very specific and easily definable ranges.  Super powerful and easy.

The clip match feature is also highly improved so you can drag in a screenshot from any movie, or video that you like the look of and auto match your footage to that. If the footage content is similar, it works very well, at least as a quick start.   

Stabilization has also become incredible so if you have any footage that could benefit from that, it is super clean now. 

So cool!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:05:58 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Clip match sounds insane. My wife’s ears just peeked up when I mentioned that one. (She’s the editor around here.)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 06:38:04 AM »
Clip match sounds insane. My wife’s ears just peeked up when I mentioned that one. (She’s the editor around here.)

She may already know about this but she can grab from any movie here for free https://film-grab.com/ and match to that.  You could also just take a screenshot from any online content like YouTube.  The cool thing is that it works directly on top of your ungraded footage even untouched LOG or RAW stuff.  It may not be what you eventually do but it can be a great start.  There are also some cool new options for comparative viewing so you can have up the frame that you want to match to right with your current frame in a lot of new and useful configurations including a diagonal slice and a checkerboard. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal