Author Topic: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible  (Read 14873 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible
« on: November 13, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
If you like playing with video, watching video, are interested in AI or just like free stuff you have to download Davinci Resolve 17.  It is free and it has gone from great to outrageous with this last update.  It's a mind blower.  Still in beta but whoa!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Davinci Resolve 17 - Incredible
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »
Video?  Photos?  Can you provide examples of Video or evidence of the "mind blower"!

PS: Are you a robot?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Yeah its pretty crazy. I assume the model is like autocad/sketchup--give individual users and schools a fully capable, powerful tool and charge corporations up the gazoo for it. I hate editing video and I almost want to do it with this new version.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »
Actually I'm using v16, I guess I need to upgrade to the beta to see what you're talking about. V16 has more bells and whistles than I can possibly use. Unless 17 completely eliminates me from the editing process--like Trace attempted to do, it's probably wasted on me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 03:32:50 PM »
Actually I'm using v16, I guess I need to upgrade to the beta to see what you're talking about. V16 has more bells and whistles than I can possibly use. Unless 17 completely eliminates me from the editing process--like Trace attempted to do, it's probably wasted on me.

With your long documented contempt for editing anything longer than an animated GIF i'm shocked you've even had the patience to download V16 :P what gives?
in progress...

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
Video?  Photos?  Can you provide examples of Video or evidence of the "mind blower"!

Answering my own question.  Here is a link to the home page.  Looks like going back to college for an architecture degree aka not lightweight stuff:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
It does look a little foreign at first but it is one of those massive programs that you can use very easily with a half hour YouTube tutorial to get a really nice result and then dig deeper if and as you may want.   Then, if you are working on a video and you have something that you would like to correct, add, improve, it is a few steps away. 

Robot

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
Blackmagic is a weird company. Resolve does make money on pro accounts but their software doesn’t have to make any money. They sell hardware and that’s the real thing for them. They bought up DaVinci who did high end color correction (and wrote Resolve.) It was $100k per system. BM made it free with a $5,000 control surface. I don’t know why, but if you are in a business that Grant (Petty, the founder of BM) is looking at entering just get out of the way. They have FU money and just seem to like to play with it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:46:53 AM »
Right, and since that purchase they have made the software free to everyone (no more hardware purchase requirement).  That, of course, exploded the user base.  They have a more expensive "Studio" version available but even that has come down form thousands to $299.00.  That is the same software with a few unlocked features that most are unlikely to use.

Their color used to be the main draw but now, the editor is incredible, audio has become top notch and Fusion stuff is amazing.  It is an end to end video solution.

Some of these Neural Engine / AI functions are just amazing. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:49:22 AM by Admin »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 07:41:28 AM »

Answering my own question.  Here is a link to the home page.  Looks like going back to college for an architecture degree aka not lightweight stuff:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Yep, opened their home page, quick scroll down, and...

...I'm out. :o ???
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 09:12:24 AM »
Does Davinci load the GPS data from GoPro footage like Apple editors will? 

Adobe Premiere Elements does NOT.  Adobe Premiere PRO DOES.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »

I have Adobe Premiere Pro and was using it (took a crash course at our college to learn it with green room), but it was more than I needed for my little YouTube video. I started using Adobe Rush (Ru) which is a very watered down version of Pp. It's very simple and fast.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/how-to/premiere-rush-fundamentals.html?playlist=/services/playlist.helpx/products:SG_RUSH/learn-path:key-techniques/playlist:topic/set-header:rush-get-started/en_us.json&ref=helpx.adobe.com
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
I can't find anything that says Rush imports or extracts the GPS data from your video file. You can use a third party software like (  https://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html )  for the GPS extraction then import that video into Rush.
It's not overhead to me!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 04:03:02 PM »

I haven't tried that.  How/where is that data showing up in the editors where it is working?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
It's embedded in the .mp4 or similar files as long as you have set your camera / GoPro GPS to ON. Same as it's embedded in a .jpg.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:15:32 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal