Author Topic: What is your favorite Stand Up Foil Board  (Read 4983 times)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
What is your favorite Stand Up Foil Board
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
Team, I am riding a starboard 7 foot at 106 Litres. My foil rig is legacy GoFoil long mast with GL210. Moving to an NL 160/130 soon. Have flip tail (14) on order. I pretty much catch and ride any wave I can get in front of. I am in Oregon and the conditions are rough. Lots of water moving around with current and tide shift. The 7 foot starboard is a CHAMP in these conditions, allowing me to move around on the flat water quickly with little effort.

I am looking for a new board. Something 6 foot or under around 100 litres or maybe less. Looking for lighter swing weight and more maneuverability without sacrificing flat water paddling and tracking abilities as much as possible. I have a base plate so I can go with any track based board.

What are you all riding and why do you like it?

Please include rider weight, board specs, skill level and foils used.

Thanks in advance
-red

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite Stand Up Foil Board
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »
That Starboard sounds like a dog . . . until I read your conditions.  Those conditions sound like mine 50% of the time and I often ride my longer 7' 4":

"I pretty much catch and ride any wave I can get in front of. I am in Oregon and the conditions are rough. Lots of water moving around with current and tide shift. The 7 foot starboard is a CHAMP in these conditions, allowing me to move around on the flat water quickly with little effort."

I have a 15lbs 6' x 28 board that is my smallest @ 105 liters.  It has taken me a year to get comfortable on that board in moderate chop and waves up to 6 or 7 feet.  Otherwise in any compromised conditions or if waves are guaranteed over 6 feet I will ride my 7' 4" X31" hybrid L41 board.  The 7' 4" Catches EVERTHING BIG AND SMALL.  Picture below.  But it doesn't pump well.

Good news is you will have both boards. 

I weight 190.  Advanced rider with 400++ sessions in all conditions big and small.  Mostly bad conditions. 

PS: I was just in Hawaii and debated which board to bring.  I ended up with the bigger 7' 4" board and was 100% happy it was the right call.  We were at Sunset Point and my 6' board would have been like riding a toy in those conditions.  No-Way!!!! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:55:23 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
Here is a picture of the L41 7'4" X 31" ~18 lbs with Stick on footstrap NSI pads.  These stick ons have now worked on 3 of my Foil SUPS. 

Zero failures.  I use parallel straps for Winging and offset front strap for serious surfing :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 09:59:52 AM »
My new definite favorite is this lil sweetie....

Board: 5'7"x28"x5.125" @ 105 liters, front strap with NSI stick ons that Beasho mentioned
Rider: 61 years old (in two weeks) - 6'1" x 185 lbs. w/ 2.5 years of experience foiling
Foils: Axis 900/390 attached to a Ultra Short (62.5cm) fuse, on a 75cm mast is my "go to" to a foot or so OH...bigger than that I go to a 750 front wing (soon to be their 760 wing and 82cm mast when they come in).

But reading this...
I am in Oregon and the conditions are rough. Lots of water moving around with current and tide shift.
...I'm not too sure this...
Something 6 foot or under around 100 litres or maybe less.
...in any board of that size might not be a contradiction in terms.

Now I did paddle this board out in really churned up washing machine conditions this past Monday with cross currents everywhere just to see if I could paddle her around, and much to my relief, she paddled just fine, and as stable as any of the other larger 6'x28.5"x110 liter boards I've had out in similar conditions.

That said, there was a lot of bracing and work to stay dry on her - which I did manage to do amazing myself really. But if I was going to be out in those kinds of conditions on a daily basis, I'm not sure that I wouldn't go back to the drawing board and make a couple changes dims wise...but I definitely wouldn't change any of the outline, bottom, rail, or probably even volume configurations.

Good luck in your search. Sometimes the journey is as fun as getting the final product. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:05:18 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »
Food for thought....

There is no reason to obsess over low volume when you have a foil under the board. Sure, we all know getting a board sunk down in the water is more stable for a regular SUP, but this does not matter when you mount a foil.

So you can go for more volume. More volume helps a board pop onto foil. Imagine trying to sink an Igloo ice chest  ;D That ice chest wants to pop off the water. Water over the deck is a bad thing when you are trying to fly.

The whole high C.G. side to side wobble of the super thick “regular” SUP goes away when you put a 28” deep dagger board under it.

Go thick....feel the joy little people feel when they SUP.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:48:01 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »
Hmmm, duly noted..."Hey Dave, I've got another idea!". ;) ;D 

I'm sure he'll be more than happy to oblige on board numero dos, because if there's anything that I could possibly like a little more of, is some more "pop onto the foil" if I can get it with a little more volume w/o losing any stability.

So Dwight, do you have any weight to volume guesstimation you use when talking board builds with someone? I've read, and use body weight in kgs plus 20-30 in my foil SUPs (current one is 84kgs + 21 = 105 liters), but maybe I should be more into the +30 or even more range (115 or more)?

EDIT: Think I could thicken it up a bit, and widen the bottom a bit more that came off the CNC machine a little narrower than I had pictured in my head when initially sitting at the computer with him.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:43:28 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
My personal SUP foilboard is 5’1 x 28 x 120 liters. I’m 185 lbs.

10 liters more than my non foil SUP. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »

Wait what...5'1"!? :o  I'm flying to FL!! ;) ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »
Oregon surf is "special" with wicked currents, swell from at least three directions, and lots o' chop. We joke about "Maui Glass" being ripped up wind chop, but Oregon is worse for junky surface conditions.

I'm 6'2" X 217# and 73 years old. I went out at Manzanita two years ago with little Fugly which at 6'10 X 29.5 seemed like it would be plenty of board, but I had a hell of a time standing up on it, and since I was wobbling around every time I turned I had a tough time catching waves. By comparison, Mr. Fugly was 7.2" X 33" and I could do a few hours at Manzanita or Indian Beach and never get my hair wet (exaggeration, but close) and catch about everything I went for. At least 50 percent of this issue was just geezer balance--ten years ago I used to be able to stand on one of those 3' diameter inflated ball things. There is ZERO chance I could do that now.

For winging, my 6'4" X 32" Flying Dutchman is wonderful--I can kneel on it in crazy gorge conditions and waterstart to my feet easily. It's a little tippy and sticky for surfing it, but it's what I've got with me here in SoCal. I might try the 6.0"X 29" SIC Manta I brought with me on the unlikely chance that it surfs better, but it's only 104L and the sweet spot is dinky at that volume.

I suspect you're going to find your 7 foot starboard is an OK size. If you go a lot shorter, make sure you make it wide and thick enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »

Wait what...5'1"!? :o  I'm flying to FL!! ;) ;D

Good luck getting him to make you one...

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
I might try the 6.0"X 29" SIC Manta I brought with me on the unlikely chance that it surfs better, but it's only 104L and the sweet spot is dinky at that volume.
PB, lemme know when you're headed down again, and I'll throw my 6.0"x28.5"x110 liters in the van, that you're more than welcome to use while you're here if it's for you. Btw, I think it's the same width as the Manta if yours is the same as they have listed, just with a little more volume. We'll both hope that the surfs gets better.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 06:36:53 PM »
I was at SanO today. Had a fine time, though I probably only got six or seven good rides. Mostly because I was screwing aroundf shortening my mast when I should have been in the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
I started on an 8 footer and worked down.  My two favorites are my 6-2 Kalama and my 5-8 Kalama.  Both are super fun, but the 6-2 is much easier to paddle in rough conditions.  To echo what Beasho said, when I travel I take the 6-2 - every time.  My buddy has a stock 7-0 Kalama and that thing is a beast but catches everything.  I rode it last time I was at San-o.  We were catching head high waves in front of the nuclear plant and I was able to grab pretty much everything I paddled for.  But once up, 7-0 is a lot of board to swing around.  After years of surfing I find a quiver approach works best.  Finding a one size fits all board is like finding a unicorn. 

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 05:24:04 PM »
Beasho, Word, good to know the stick ons work. I have a small Slingshot highroller(prone foil)  that I might put stick on straps for wingdinging.

Sano, Thanks for sharing the paddle ability of the 5'7"x28"x5.125" @ 105 liters. I am thinking something like this. I forgot to mention but I am 155LBS and can stand and balance on anything, even if it sinks. My starboard is close to that in liters. I like that board and would want to have factory strap mounts.

Pono, is Fugly a regular standup? or a foil standie? Maybe I had a dream where this is some crazy hack frankenboard you have (saw a pic somewhere in my dream). ??

Dwight, good to know that you are standing on more liter (foiling) then on your standie. I need to get out of my regular "Volume" thoughts in my head. Your comments below regarding "no need to obsess over small volume..." Just because I am on a 100 liter board at 155 LBS does not mean I couldn't rock a 125 Liter shorter fatter board. Like a 5-6 foot 100-125 liter something. I want something shorter, with less swing , that fits easier into my truck ;)

EvanLLoyd: Thanks for the input on the Kalama Standies you ride and have ridden. I am not looking for one size fits all and am just looking for something smaller with less swing than my 7'0 starboard. the site has changed and they dont have the 6'2 or 5'8 anymore. What liters are these boards please?

The good thing to me is that it appears all the standie foils boards are landing in a sweet spot between 5-6 foot and 95-125 liters. (roughly)

I want a Kalama but spent too much on way overpriced Naish Stand up paddle boards back in the day that I cannot sell now. Not saying the Kalama is overpriced, the Naish boards were. ( light as hell, and poorly made )

I'll report back when I land on something.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 10:14:39 PM »
I'd like to offer a counterpoint to Dwight's advice.  There is a serious advantage to riding a lightweight board with good balance.  More volume = more weight.  More length = balance point ahead of ideal.    I'm riding two boards right now.  My small board is a bitch to balance and causes me to miss half the waves I turn for but it rides so so so much better on foil that I put up with it.  My big board doesn't catch waves any better, and arguably worse because it won't pump up off the surface nearly as easily.   I am only using as a temporarily stable platform to learn winging and will ditch it as soon as I don't need it for winging.

Bottom shape matters more than volume for wave catching.  width, rail shape, and carrying that width to the tip/tail matters more for balance than volume.  I reckon you want the lightest, best balanced board that is comfortable to balance on.  Therefore you want a board the is wider than you think and carries that width to the tip/tail.   That allows you to go with a lower volume and thus lower weight.  And go shorter than you think to get the fore-aft balance point right over the foil lifting point.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal