Author Topic: x-bionic BR1 14x22  (Read 2756 times)

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
x-bionic BR1 14x22
« on: November 12, 2020, 04:40:15 AM »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: x-bionic BR1 14x22
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
Gone are all the extra bells and whistles, anything that adds extra weight. The only thing you’ll find are functional lightweight solutions. In true X-Bionic® style everything is functional and engineered to allow you to perform at your best.

I guess they found a way to make a sup work without a fin because for your $3300 your not getting one ??? oh well, maybe we'll get a matching pair of their x-socks instead.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
Hydrodynamically fitted fin box. It looks like its protruding. Everyone's been sanding them flush for no reason. Weight under 10 kgs. If its that high tech they could tell you the correct weight. I'm not that impressed.
 At 2600 euros it is cheaper than some new boards.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
Presumably hollow? Yes, cheap compared with comparable carbon boards - 50% carbon?

Will be interesting to see it in the hot sun of tropical climates.  Good if you want to fry an egg.

Bruno does seem to be tolerant of BS in his marketing material. If I'm spending a couple of grand on a board I want to know what I'm buying. "It's secret" keeps my money firmly in my pocket - phrases like that IMO are equivalent to the phrase "BS incoming".

But maybe this is a tax-efficient way to be an athlete these days, and if you are comfortableon a 22" wide board you are fast already, so I doubt you'll see many people going slowly on one of these.

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:23:00 PM »
Looking at this I find it odd that the fin area was not moulded deeper and match the shape of the finbox so it would be flush.

I also find it interested that the peak on the bow is not all the way to the cockpit or that there is not a raised area at the front of the cockpit in the center where Bruno had installed a bow deflector when he did the 11 cities so it is a known issue that this board takes on water when in waves. 

Other interesting items is it does not have an FCS mount in the center of the Bow, which is the best way to install a computer for training, or a front mounted leash point.

I do hope that there is some type of non skid on the large deck as there is no pad but at least the sides are not angled inwards like the Lightboard so the standing area is not pinched. When I tried the 23 inch wide signature 2.0 I was not able to get comfortable as the standing area was 18.5 inches wide at most.

I have no issues with stability on my SB Sprint 14*20.75 but I doubt that I would be able to balance on this board as easily, based on the rounded shapes and thin tail, and it would take me a long time to be comfortable on it. I would not purchase this unless I could get a demo.

As for fibreglass content I do not have a major issue with that as I assume it is on the outside of the hull for protecting the carbon and in other areas for reinforcement.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal