Author Topic: Repair suggestions Bote 14' with crack and huge pressure ding  (Read 1407 times)

AshevilleSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Repair suggestions Bote 14' with crack and huge pressure ding
« on: November 10, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »
Hey from NC-
I've got a Bote 14' Darkroom V.1 that has about a 12" crack right where my heel rests. Worse its has a significant pressure ding that needs to be filled with a good bit of material (about 1 cup or more) where my heel sunk the foam down in during a 30 mile race.

Wondering what the best material to fill that huge pressure ding would be (read posts about bondo??).....It doesn't have Clark foam but what looks like the cheapo old school Styrofoam block used on floating docks. Just not sure what folks use to fill a very large space where all my weight will be resting??? Also wanting to conserve the weight of the race board.

Next steps....cut out the cracked and surrounding epoxy surface, fill with???, then add fiberglass cloth and resin (repeat)???

Thanks in advance!!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repair suggestions Bote 14' with crack and huge pressure ding
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »
Welcome to the zone... 99.99999 percent of SUPs are made of EPS (expanded polystyrene) or EPX ( extruded polystyrene) foam. Actually most of the high performance shortboard surf boards are now using EPS and EPX. That's how they are getting the big air now. Springy flex and super lightweight. Polyurethane foam (PU) aka 'Clark Foam' is heavier and doesn't have much spring to it. It doesn't take on water like EPS, but it does pressure ding easily. EPS has a little better memory, so it doesn't pressure ding.. as much. EPS does need extra reinforcement, specially where you stand. Carbon Fiber cloth is the best for a standing area patch. Then a couple of layers of 6 oz E-glass for a sander coat. You can cut a square out of where the hole is, and Gorilla glue a new cube of any polystyrene or even PU foam into it. Shape it / sand it down flush and put a little light weight spackle just on the foam to seal it. The spackle keeps excess epoxy from soaking into the foam. You can skip the spackle on real small patches. Then use Resin Research 2-part epoxy to do your glassing. This shouldn't add much weight to your board. Don't use Bondo! It will eat a hole right through the EPS. Then you'll have a big mess on your hands.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repair suggestions Bote 14' with crack and huge pressure ding
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 03:15:46 PM »
Do a search for posts by beasho regarding Gorilla Glue as a filler.  It is my foam of choice for filling gaps.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal