Author Topic: SoCal Doldrums  (Read 3038 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
SoCal Doldrums
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
Looks like the surf is going to be dinky for the next couple of weeks, and I don't know where to go to wingfoil. SanO was kind of disappointing today, especially given the five hours round trip of driving I have to do to get there. Where should I go to foil surf? To wingfoil??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SoCal Doldrums
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:48:24 PM »
Vegas baby!! Lake Meade. Katherine's Landing on a North. 6 mile Cove on a South. I'm sure you're dying to go to Las Vegas right? Heard it was good winging in SoCal today all up and down the coast.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 11:41:37 PM »
SanO's still "the place" to foil surf in the area, and depending on how far you want to drive...my friends that wingfoil are usually headed to Mission Bay, Belmont Shores, Cabrillo, or Lake Mojave.

Couple of them tried to wingfoil off the end of the harbor entrance near the Sheriff's station HQ on Dana Dr yesterday. It didn't go well, as the patrol boat chased them out since the speed limit is 5 mph until your outside the buoys well past the inner and outer jetties. Oops. :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »
Oh ya it's Lake Mojave. It's actually a great place with turquoise blue water and goes off this time of year.

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
Hey Bill,^^^Lake Mohave^^^It's a drive, but check out Katherine's Landing on north winds. You might be able to trade off between coast and inland sessions if all goes well. Dave
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:58:48 PM »
Hey Bill, welcome to our world. There's a reason I only windsurfed in Baja for the last 10 years of my windsurf career. Remember the second law of surfing: never leave surf to find surf. (first law: if there's surf, surf)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
You guys gotta get creative. Lake Elsinore is 75 min from you and guys wing it. There are 2-3 more in the hood. Take your wife to Temecula. She’ll dig it and you can meet my in laws. He races BMWs and had a manufacturing biz that used a ton of robotics y’all would get along and she is one of the nicest and gregarious people you’ll ever meet.

Look in the winging Facebook groups they mention Elsinore. I’ve been wanting to hit some of the other lakes in that area myself.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »
Funny, we spent a winter in Temecula when we first got Zach--our Britanny. Couldn't go to Maui so we traded places with Casey and Jenn Trout. We stayed at their place on a lake in temecula and they stayed at Ponohouse. I didn't see much wind there and I spent most of the winter driving to the cali coast. I'll keep an eye on Elsinore and Perris, but in the meantime I'll start riding my goofy fat tire ebike or my new 390 KTM adventure bike.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
Come to SWFL if you REALLY want to be disappointed!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 04:30:22 PM »
Surfs been good here....I just can't get to it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 09:26:08 PM »
Surfs been good here....I just can't get to it.

Next time I come I'm going to get you up on a foil. It will either cure you or kill you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal