Author Topic: Aug 14,2020 Rabbit Slough (Creek? Swamp?) - Matanuska Valley, Alaska  (Read 5814 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First time I have found this very cool stream/swamp/path - I've lived here over 20 years and Alaska most of my life and somehow missed this.

This first visit I went upstream into the swampier/weedier end before turning and exploring partway downstream.

Zara my paddling buddy came along - she was supposed to be my wife's dog - but she adopted me instead lol.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aug 14,2020 Rabbit Slough (Creek? Swamp?) - Matanuska Valley, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
I went pretty far up - lots of weeds on the fin :( but it was neat chasing the Red Salmon thru the channels. In spots it was DEEP - I could see salmon 8 feet down and they would dive DEEPER  into narrow passages in the swamp.

I thought I would be following the water to end up near the eagle - he seemed to be watching for salmon - but the flow took me only farther away.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:58:41 PM »
I kept going, dragging clumps of water weeds with my fin. It was hard going but worth it.

Eventually, it was just too much weed not enough water :D

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:01:50 PM »
I turned and made my way back down to the boat launch area.

When I finally got out of the weeds and cleared my fin (giant clump) the freedom! It felt like cross-country skiing a perfect groomed trail.

Zara was less impressed

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 08:05:18 PM »
The stream is super deep, but super slow -it's like a man-made canal or something. Pretty weedy. There is a decorative weed that got into the lakes up here - goes nuts every summer.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
I was short on time to explore downstream - and no joke, I think I was pissing off a moose - LOUD crashing sounds in the woods - made me turn back :D

BUT - I would come back and go farther - it goes WAY out into the mud flats and gets tidal - I was advised not to paddleboard too far or the current would not let me go upstream - I think I'd do ok on the Starboard but certainly good advice from a kayaker to a paddler they don't know personally.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 03:48:23 AM »
DeepWeed, did someone say creeks??? .... you have my attention!  :)

Cool pictures!
That looked awesome... and great to have your little buddy along as well.
Slow paddles allow you to connect with nature in a completely different way.
I absolutely LOVE the solitude and quiet connection you have to the sounds and sights of the life going on around you  :D

I have a snap in "weed" fin that is shallow and swept back pretty radically..... great for those grassy estuaries.
It provides good directional control but won't snag or gather weeds. (pic 2)

How long was that trip?
I do a lot of narrow, fast moving tidal stuff, but I time it so I paddle in with the tide.... eat a snack, then paddle out with the tide.

Yesterday morning I went out for a sunrise paddle in pure glass, but couldn't resist a little creeking towards the end  ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 06:13:28 AM »
Mud...  Nice one. Like, Rick, I too like getting back up into little 'guts' as they are called here.  I expected to see you in a headnet and a bugsuit for the dog?  Where's the famous mosquitoes? 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 07:21:26 AM »
That looks like an amazing flat water paddle! It was super glassy and had nice wildlife. I remember the word "Mantanuska" from the 70s when High Times magazine was popular. Mantanuska Thunderf@ck was one of the cannabis strains they were featuring!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
Incredible scenery, and such beautiful water to paddle on. It's no wonder Zara has "adopted" you if you're going to take him/her on such wonderful adventures. :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
Creek - it was about 3 hours  - the up-creek was pretty slow going but as you say - really interesting. The schools of reds deep in the tannin-stained waters were pretty exciting to see - they can spawn in lakes but this is mucky swamp - they must work their way farther thru the swamp to streams or open lake areas. This is a real gem for SUP - you can see up over the embankment and brush in places a kayak or canoe cannot see 3 feet - the trail goes on and on and on and on.
Mosquitos - depends - sunny hot days they don't come out as much - and I kept moving. It wasn't too bad a year for them here.
I've made a mount for a kayak fin on my other board -time to get it done for Starboard - only about 1/2" depth over the fin mount, the rest flips up/out of the way. Good for fast turns/slow creeks, you can flip it up and leave it out - and pretty much the lowest part of an isup is where I stand so it's good in REALLY shallow water (I'll get that posted up soon too - I've finally got "batch resizing" down again lol).

We are still famous here for the greenhouse products lol - tho' the high THC is more common than back in the day ;D and it's legal for "fun consumption" now.  Also Dahlia flowers believe it or not :D

It's a flatwater I would recommend anyone - and at the right time of year some cool salmon fishing and camping could be added.

I'll show some more with my "Part 2" thread - I went back and went WAY farther. 

Zara has been pretty neat to take out with me  - she loves going, mopes/shreds paper if she gets left behind - tho I think she can predict weather - when it's going to be crappy she hides when I bring out the doggy lifevest :D and then - yep, it's windy/cold out on the lake.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:13:33 PM by deepmud »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 11:06:19 PM »
Link to Google album = higher res, more pics, some video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XivyjXD8TZ6sMAmWA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal