Author Topic: i want MORE  (Read 2281 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
i want MORE
« on: November 05, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »
Wing foil is evolving and my idea of this sport is evolving too.
I started to wing in july 2019 with a 2200 Slingshot front foil wing, then i i bought a 1500 Moses front wing. But is when i bought a Higher aspect ratio front wing (armstrong 1550 HS) that something just clicked in my mind.
Since that moment i was looking for flat water spot where to improve my carving abilities, one day i heard an interview of Nick Leason from Lift that was totally mind blowed from downwinding and i honestly could not understand why. 
Only one month ago i Took my first wave with the 1550Hs and i let depowered the wing  and started to surf.. WOW, what a feeling.
From most of you it would be normal but for me it was completely out of this world. Since then i spent my sessions only going upwind and trying to downwind and surf the waves. That’s why i also purchase the 1250 hs.. Today i finally tried it with 15 knots and 1,5 mt waves. The speed you got and the fact that you are totally in control of the waves and the water is so addictive!!!
i can’t stop thinking about that.
When i finished my session i was so stoked!
Now i want to go faster and faster, maybe the 850 HS will be the one?
i don’t know where are we going, but i see the pro riders riding a small foil (Titouan is riding always a very small foil that let him jump so high because of the speed he gains).
And also the Ultra HA wings from Armstrong (that probably will never be released) made me think that probably i’m not the only one obsessed now with speed :)
i just felt like sharing with you my impressions :)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: i want MORE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »
Yew! the stoke is real.  I, like you, tend to ride upwind hunting for bumps to carve onto and de-power to surf.  I came to winging from foil surfing, where the sensation of foiling waves really hooked me.  Now with the wing, I can go ride bumps in the river by my house and skip the 45 minute drive to the ocean. I'll still make the trip to the ocean but it allows those lunch break sessions I've been missing. 

The HS850 has got my attention too.  I've got the cf800 and it's not too much faster than the 1050 from my initial test. 

Next step is boosting!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »
yup. It's the crack version of surfing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 06:55:37 PM »
I cannot wait. We’ve identified a lake near here so I can get some smoother water and play with turns a bit more before I get into swell. I love the stoke.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »
Please get an iWatch and start recording and sharing speeds. 

Flat water winging is hard to get above 20mph.  Unless you’re in Hawaii with 40 knots of wind.

Yesterday I hit 24.8 mph on my GL140.  But I was on a 15 to 20 foot face SUP foiling.  It’s really hard to go faster unless you tackle monster waves.  And 5 minutes later I nearly drowned taking 4 on the head.  With speed comes risk.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
I started to wing in july 2019 with a 2200 Slingshot front foil wing, then i i bought a 1500 Moses front wing. But is when i bought a Higher aspect ratio front wing (armstrong 1550 HS) that something just clicked in my mind.
Since that moment i was looking for flat water spot where to improve my carving abilities, one day i heard an interview of Nick Leason from Lift that was totally mind blowed from downwinding and i honestly could not understand why. 
Only one month ago i Took my first wave with the 1550Hs and i let depowered the wing  and started to surf.. WOW, what a feeling.
From most of you it would be normal but for me it was completely out of this world. Since then i spent my sessions only going upwind and trying to downwind and surf the waves. That’s why i also purchase the 1250 hs.. Today i finally tried it with 15 knots and 1,5 mt waves. The speed you got and the fact that you are totally in control of the waves and the water is so addictive!!!
i don’t know where are we going, but i see the pro riders riding a small foil (Titouan is riding always a very small foil that let him jump so high because of the speed he gains).
And also the Ultra HA wings from Armstrong (that probably will never be released) made me think that probably i’m not the only one obsessed now with speed :)
I can completely relate.  I have been chasing that sensation since the first time I felt the foil glide down a wave.  I first started kite foiling but ultimately found the kite to be in the way too much when trying to surf, so I took up winging.  Started with the large CF foils and then moved on to the 1850 which just made the addiction worse.  I tried a friend's 1250 which is an amazing wing and I have been playing around with the Lift HA wings which also glide and pumping amazingly well.  I see the wing mainly as a tool to get onto waves and am feeling more and more comfortable in bigger stuff.  I think my next step will be a crack at prone foiling as I love the idea of foiling surfing with nothing in my hands. 

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
I can completely relate.  I have been chasing that sensation since the first time I felt the foil glide down a wave.  I first started kite foiling but ultimately found the kite to be in the way too much when trying to surf, so I took up winging.  Started with the large CF foils and then moved on to the 1850 which just made the addiction worse.  I tried a friend's 1250 which is an amazing wing and I have been playing around with the Lift HA wings which also glide and pumping amazingly well.  I see the wing mainly as a tool to get onto waves and am feeling more and more comfortable in bigger stuff.  I think my next step will be a crack at prone foiling as I love the idea of foiling surfing with nothing in my hands.

Did you see Alan Cadiz latest youtube vid where he uses a drogue chute attached to the end of his board's leash?  So when he wipes out in waves, the board stays away from him, but won't get blown downwind due to the water parachute.  I had the thought previously of using a drogue chute attached to the end of the wing leash so you could use the wing to self-tow into waves then ditch the wing and surf the wave, then prone paddle or pump back to the wing waiting outside the sandbar/reef.  I expect to see that at Jaws by the end of this season for sure. (any Maui riders lurking here feel fee to take the idea and run with it!!) 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
I thought Alan said he created the drogue chute because the board tried to hit him during a speed run wipeout. Board leash boomerangs board back at you. That’s why you wear a helmet. Kiters learned this years ago. You ride without a leash, or you must use a helmet.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 01:20:41 AM »
I use the Blue Planet reel leash system which I think has a much lower risk of snap back.   And you never get the leash slapping the water.   I still wear a helmet.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 02:44:32 AM »
We (just) got a long projected stretch of 40 degree days here which pretty well closes our season.  We may get some more days but, pretty much a wrap.  2 months until Baja seems like a long time off the foil.  I want MORE!

What a season, though!  Magic really.  So many amazing days. 

I am with you on swell riding.  I have never had more fun.  Waves look unreal as well and I am looking forward to getting some warm wave wing sessions this winter.  I am very impressed by the freestyle aspect of the sport as well.  Amazing what is already happening there. 

So stoked to have this come our way!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:49:14 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal