Author Topic: a little humility  (Read 2817 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
a little humility
« on: November 04, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
I went to San Onofre this morning-a brisk 2.5 hour drive from La Quinta where we are staying so Diane can golf a lot. I always make the assumption that I'm going to pick my abilities back up where I left off--and I'm always a little shocked that I don't. I really sucked.

I also expect that I'll be able to overcome any oddities in my equipment, and I don't do that well either. The only paddle I had with me is my downwind paddle, which is much too long to foil. My board is my wing board, but it's big enough to do double duty. I need to set it up better for surf foiling, but that's no big deal. But the paddle made it hard to sprint for the waves, and my shoulders are killing me.

I finally bailed to San Clemente to pick up a heat gun and a hacksaw. Borrowed some power at a jobsite and shortened my paddle. Unfortunately when I got back to SanO there was a line, so I bailed and figured I'd just go find some waves at Encinitas, or wherever. But it was fairly smoky, and it was about 2:00, so I headed back to the desert.

I'll get the gear tuned up and go back on Friday. In the meantime, it was fun seeing the SanO foil crew and shooting the shit a little. Next time I'll come prepared and stay all day. And hopefully not suck quite so much.

The big plus is that I can already tell it's going to be a fun winter. And I'll be paddling a lot more which will get my upper body back in shape. I felt weak as a kitten today.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 04:49:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: a little humility
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
Yo man, you have to get here into LA for a session too with the local crew up here.

How long you in SoCal?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
at least two months. One month in Palm Desert, one in Solana Beach, and we'll see after that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
Ok, when you head south hit me up and let’s take Tom to some mushy waves in SD.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
Good seeing you again PB (even though since only half of you showed up, I didn't recognize 100% of you right away ;D), and today was a very tough day in the morning to get reacquainted with surf foiling.

I found myself even struggling trying to drop in on the crazy arse backwash we had this morn, and I'm there most everyday, and fairly used to it...today was just worst than most. You did great in all of that flying on pretty well when you were able to get into the nonsense, all things considered.

Also, you didn't miss anything on the afternoon. StandinDan and myself paddled in after two hours to get coffee, a rest, and get ready for another afternoon session that never came since it got blown out again. All~Wet paddled his prone board out mid-afternoon and got some, but said it was pretty messed up out there, and I pretty sure that wasn't conducive to SUPing in that, so we called it an early day about 1545 hours.

Ready to do it all over in the AM, and hope to see you done there again tmrw (supposed to get ugly again Friday)...hopefully it'll be much better than today....fingers crossed. 🤞
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:59:43 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 08:29:20 PM »
I was surfing at Church this morning. Got some great waves too. I had my GoPro rolling, so I'll put a little video together. Had I known you'd be there I would have surfed DP instead. I'll try to make it Friday.  Supposed to be a swell building, so I imagine Friday will be jammed.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
I'm heading to SanO this morning again. Friday will probably be nuts for traffic and crowded.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 05:52:38 AM by PonoBill »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Good move. It looked good today. Tomorrow looks to be F'd up by South wind. 7 to 12 mph starting before sunrise:( No bueno. I'll have to catch up with you next week.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal