Author Topic: rinse after session - yes or no?  (Read 3542 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
rinse after session - yes or no?
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:47:08 AM »
I'm that kind of guy that actually loose more time on taking care of the equipment rather than in the water..
When i go back home i always rinse with fresh water all my equipment , wings, foils (disassembled), boots, wetsuit, helmet, impact vest ..
but is it really necessary??
i've heard some negative comments about chlorine in fresh water that can damage the canopy of the wings.
Foils is strictly necessary to prevent corrosion, unless you have Armstrong foils.
And also i noticed that if you don't dry completely boots (mine can take up the 48hours to dry completely inside) and wetsuit they get stinky.
In summer time can be also nice loosing this time but in winter... that's why i decide to stop rinsing with fresh water and see what happen to my equipment.
By the way i have the latest Boots from Billabong with graphene inside (i dried them with the blow dried yesterday for 25 minutes each because i had to go in water and i hate the wet/ cold feeling) and the latest RipCUrl Flashbomb with E6 linen which i noticed it dries fast but the ends keep wet.
Any tips/ recommendations?
Thank you guys, as always your advices are really precious!!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: rinse after session - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:35:31 AM »
I stopped rinsing my gear 25 years ago. Thought salt water was bad but it’s fresh water that mildews clear windows.  Salt water is fine just roll it all up. 

My stuff lasts longer than I want it.

No need to rinse.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
Most sailmakers will tell you not to rinse sails of any kind with fresh water, especially ones with windows. I kind of pooh-poohed that until Jeff Henderson (maui hot sails) told me that too. Jeff's technical expertise is deep, and I listen to him.

For the rest, yeah, boots and wetsuits get skanky quickly. My truck smells like a really cheap hotel room most days. The kind that rents by the hour.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
I never rinse my foils. I've had aluminum and full carbon setups. I take my mast off every session and the fuse off the mast. Wings stay attached to the fuse. I've had one stuck screw in two and a half year of foiling that I used a manual impact wrench to take it out. Maybe 5 whacks of a hammer.

I used to fully disassemble and clean my original Naish every 2 weeks. I've since slowed down to breaking down and cleaning aluminum gear every 2 months maaaaybe. No issues.

Westsuits I sort of rinse if I have a water jug with me. Otherwise they just hang out to dry in my garage when I get home. Booties hang upside down by the toe so that water can drip out. Sometimes I have to flip them inside out to dry if they get real smelly.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
My answer would depend on the the water you ride in:
salt = no (will not get moldy when stored wet)
freshwater = yes (because of the possibility of mold growth when stored wet)  The amount of chlorine in water will not damage equipment.
I used to rinse all my gear, but don't any more.  I don't notice a noticeable difference.  I do take my fins out after every session to prevent them from getting stuck.  I don't rinse my aluminum foils, but I do grease the threads of the bolts.
For boots, I fold the ankle cuffs down, and hang them upside down by the toes.  If sessions are frequent, or days are cooler, they don't dry and can get stinky.  Rinsing with fresh water after a session can help some.  I've heard of guys flipping the boots inside out to prevent the stink.  I've heard of other guys stuffing newspaper to soak up moisture.  My solution is to pour vinegar in the boot when they start to stink, then hang em up.  Vinegar may be bad for the glue. 
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »
Never rinse anything but always make hand wings and kites are dry and any sand brushed off before I pack them up

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »
Never rinse wings.

Take apart foils and rinse foils, hardware, boards and leashes once every several months.

Rinse all neoprene, helmets, reel leashes after each salt water use but very careful to minimize time drying in the sun.  No rinsing after fresh water use.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 09:03:32 PM »
Great thread thanks for the posts.

I've noticed storing or drying in direct sunlight for days/months is brutally hard on surf gear.  Since getting hooked on foiling i rarely surf and have stored a few boards where they get sun for several hours a day - they now look 30 years old.  Wetsuits that i have left to dry in the sun seem to dry out and the rubber starts to break down and tear.

So I assume that if did the same to my wings they would loose some life.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 08:00:00 AM »
Regarding neoprene care:

Invest in a scuba gear hanger for your booties and gloves.  I have taken over the utility/guest shower for wetsuit drying.  The gear hanger allows you to easily hang the booties and gloves upside down for drainage.  You can also hang your helmet, real leash and other gear  Also get one of the wetsuit hangers, which allows you to fold it in half and hang from the middle of the suit.  This will extend the life of the suit as there is less stress on the shoulder seams while drying/storing. Flipping the suit inside/rightside out after a day will allow the suit to fully dry. 

Regarding stink, get some wetsuit cleaner, such as 'Piss Off' by Ripcurl.  I typically only use it at the end of the seasonal use.  I deal with water temps starting in the 80s in the summer and dropping down to the upper 30s in some cases, and then back up, so taking care of the investment in a closet full of neoprene is important. 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
There has been some very good advice here particularly around wetsuit care. On a related sort of topic I just got a new wetsuit for the winter. It is the same model as my 3 year old wet suit which now has about 8-10 repairs and leaks a bit but is still functional. My wife asked if I was going to rotate these two wetsuits. She suggested that like rotating running shoes with regular use the wear and tear will decrease by allowing the suits a longer period to recover from stretching. Apparently rotation will increase the overall life of two pairs as it is not just additive. Does anyone rotate their wetsuits?

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »
I've got 4 suits in rotation due to water temperature fluctuations.  The suits lasts longer compared to if I used one throughout the season. 

This thought process helped talk me into getting 5 wing sizes from BRM.  I'll use the wings less frequently, which means they will last longer? haha.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 07:13:30 PM »
VB I do the same hang. But I use a plastic hanger with pipe insulation on it. I have like 4-5 of these. Works great and costs under a buck and I never look for them.

I put  the insulation on the top and use them for wetsuit tops and jackets too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal