Author Topic: How long are your sessions?  (Read 4016 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
How long are your sessions?
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:53:17 AM »
Finally got a Garmin Instinct GPS watch to wear while riding. I’m curious how everyone else’s riding sessions compare. I seem to be good for about 1 1/2 hours max of straight riding time before fatigue really starts to set in, but even an hour seems plenty. What’s strange for me is that my legs get wobbly and fatigued before my arms/shoulders do, which I wouldn’t expect since I never use a harness.  I think I could maybe go two hours or slightly more on a downwinder if I wasn’t turning so frequently and falling while working on challenging moves.  My GPS top speed said 16.9 knots but I’m too chicken sh#t to push any harder! Once I finally come in I’m generally ready to pack up for the day rather than rest and go for another session, especially as the weather gets cooler and required neoprene increases. Maybe that’s an over 60 thing

I recall Beasho posting a GPS log of a 17 mile session

Yesterday I tried some more extended backwinded riding where I actually rode about 25 ft and finished the 360 successfully (off foil but I’ll take it) on a couple of try’s. Plenty of energy draining spills in between.  I’ve watched a couple of recent Patrice clips riding backwinded and I really want to orient the wing to spill wind off the clew like he does.  It’s what I do with a windsurfer but I’m just not getting it yet with a wing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How long are your sessions?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:41:56 AM »
I rarely feel tired during a session though I start to get sloppy. After the session is over I'm bushed. The longest was a little over three hours, average probably under two. That's a guess. I haven't tracked them, but I think it's reasonably accurate.

I've done as many as three sessions in a day. But that's rare. There was one nuking, gorgeous day in late summer when I just couldn't stop. I was at the event center for a little more than six hours, did three sessions with some time between them. I was in bed by 7:00 and slept straight through to 6am.

Again, a guess, but I've probably done about five days a week for most of the spring and summer, a bit less this fall. Admin would have a better idea. We started sneaking into the water in early april and went consistently until a few weeks ago. This winter my exertions will be more random since we're staying in SoCal for two months and we'll see what happens after that.

I generally arrive a bit behind admin and stay a bit longer, but not much. I figure Admin does about 15 minutes more per session than I do except for the days that are just too good to stop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »
I rarely feel tired during a session though I start to get sloppy.

Yeah, I guess I should say that I don’t get winded, but when the legs get worn down, anything beyond basic riding and jibing gets harder. Falling in on otherwise easy knee starts is a good fatigue indicator for me.  I definitely don’t have as much fun when fatigue sets in.  The wirst heart monitor in the watch said I averaged 101 bpm for the long session with a max rate of 127 bpm. No idea how accurate it really is. It would be cool if I could export the garmin gps data to another program but not sure I can.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
The watch was really a great investment (Apple 5 / Dawn Patrol).
Sessions were between 75-120 minutes, 14-22 miles. 95% were downwinders of at least 8 miles as the crow flies. Never intended to launch and land at the same location with this sport as I really just wanted to use a paddle. Have to admit though, it was fun on occasion and the wing gives you the option to do the good parts of a downwinder twice. Unfortunately the darn thing was hopelessly in the way most of the time.

I'm suspicious of your watch's heart rate readings Dave or you're in much better shape than me. My average heart rate was 125-135 during most downwinders and that's just from riding waves :o I'm not sheeted in or using the wing 85+% of the time. Nothing like the same runs paddling sup or surfski. The same watch then says 160-170 average, that can't be good for a human in the long run. My legs definitely get wobbly towards the end of a run and I'm generally happy to just sail in. I've also noticed that too much coffee can make the ultra short fuselage a handful ;D

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
The watch was really a great investment (Apple 5 / Dawn Patrol).
Sessions were between 75-120 minutes, 14-22 miles. 95% were downwinders of at least 8 miles as the crow flies. Never intended to launch and land at the same location with this sport as I really just wanted to use a paddle. Have to admit though, it was fun on occasion and the wing gives you the option to do the good parts of a downwinder twice. Unfortunately the darn thing was hopelessly in the way most of the time.

I'm suspicious of your watch's heart rate readings Dave or you're in much better shape than me. My average heart rate was 125-135 during most downwinders and that's just from riding waves :o I'm not sheeted in or using the wing 85+% of the time. Nothing like the same runs paddling sup or surfski. The same watch then says 160-170 average, that can't be good for a human in the long run. My legs definitely get wobbly towards the end of a run and I'm generally happy to just sail in. I've also noticed that too much coffee can make the ultra short fuselage a handful ;D
Your probably right about the heart rate thing. Only other time I measured it was using a chest heart rate monitor linked to my IPhone in a waterproof pouch while kitefoiling. 112 bpm average with a 137 bpm max, but who knows how kite foiling compares to winging. Maybe I can link my chest monitor to the Garmin watch but not sure if that’s possible. I do swim and bike a fair amount so maybe that helps a wee bit.  Looking forward to using the watch for a downwinder. I think I could go 2 hours like you without too much “pain”. It’s fun just to monitor this stuff...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:00:36 PM by obxDave »

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
My heart rate is through the roof on light wind days with lots of pumping or sessions where the adrenaline is up.  Otherwise, pleasant conditions my heart rate is pretty mellow. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 01:32:17 AM »
Yes, it's the pumping that really gets the heart going. Falling and re-starting is also pretty aerobic. I use a harness for reaching and going upwind so it's not all that much effort. Downwinders I'll never hook in at all. Some downwinders though have involved a lot of just sailing where the wind is too light and the waves too small, there's no mistaking this in the gps track, the second pic being good wind and waves. Dawn patrol has a mind of it's own as to what it considers one "wave". Average heart rates were roughly the same.

Anyway, I find winging to be a much more reasonable form of downwinding. The paddle (foil) guys do our regular 8 mile run in about 45 minutes. Surfskis, 50-55. SUPs, 1:00+. There's no option to extend it. With the wing I regularly draw that out to 1:15, 1:30 going back upwind for a second go or just sitting on my board. I don't want to deal with two shuttles, that parts a pita. I think I just talked myself out of working on downwind supfoiling again :o

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:35:00 AM by Thatspec »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 01:42:34 AM »
Admin would have a better idea. We started sneaking into the water in early april and went consistently until a few weeks ago.

I think that 2 hours was about our normal.  I loved that!  I can advance like that.  Maybe not quickly, but I can get it done.  When I can wear a shorty and stay cool my coordination can still be good enough.  This sport is pretty forgiving and fortunately it doesn't require full coordination.  My first 15 minutes are usually shit until I get water cooled.  Then I can wing until I'm spent.  I suck in a steamer and booties, especially when it is sunny out.  There is just no way to stay cool, even with all my usual pre-cooling stuff.  With no coordination getting off my knees is brutal, even in smooth water, and I cant pump the board at all.  My sessions in the steamer have been 45 minutes to an hour and it has just been cruising.  I had two sessions last week that were a joke.  I was rolling off my board like a turd.  I had one cold and cloudy day that was awesome though :).  That one was 90 minutes.

We are heading down to Baja Jan-Spring so we will see how it goes in shorts.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: How long are your session
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 02:17:15 AM »
Dawn patrol has a mind of it's own as to what it considers one "wave”

So what do you think a “wave” is considered for a downwinder like that?  I would love an app that record every direction change of say more than 110 deg to count transitions. Of course it would be really cool if you could input wind direction and dominate foot stance so that it could then record your exact type of transition. ::)

Admin would have a better idea. We started sneaking into the water in early april and went consistently until a few weeks ago.

I think that 2 hours was about our normal.  I loved that!  I can advance like that.  Maybe not quickly, but I can get it done.  When I can wear a shorty and stay cool my coordination can still be good enough.  This sport is pretty forgiving and fortunately it doesn't require full coordination.  My first 15 minutes are usually shit until I get water cooled.  Then I can wing until I'm spent.  I suck in a steamer and booties, especially when it is sunny out.  There is just no way to stay cool, even with all my usual pre-cooling stuff.  With no coordination getting off my knees is brutal, even in smooth water, and I cant pump the board at all.  My sessions in the steamer have been 45 minutes to an hour and it has just been cruising.  I had two sessions last week that were a joke.  I was rolling off my board like a turd.  I had one cold and cloudy day that was awesome though :).  That one was 90 minutes.

We are heading down to Baja Jan-Spring so we will see how it goes in shorts.

Yeah, I recall sessions last winter in hood gloves and booties definitely being shorter than summer sessions, and that’s at 55 deg water and 50 deg air in a 4/3. I cringe at the thought of going harsher than that. My knees are also usually the first thing to complain but it’s mostly from aggressive upwind transitions. I call it upwind twist-turn stress. I’ll go for a 1 hour winter riding time goal. Another good test for the watch.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 03:29:20 AM »

So what do you think a “wave” is considered for a downwinder like that?  I would love an app that record every direction change of say more than 110 deg to count transitions.

Pretty sure it's based on a minimum speed or distance covered with Dawn Patrol. I've noticed on East wind runs where I'm going with the current I will only tally a few waves. Going against the current (most of our summer) the GPS speed can get slow enough it just starts a new wave while you're still riding.  A crash will always start a new wave, easy to tell from the track as I still almost always start out on port tack...

In order to get heart rate I have to go into the activity monitor on the Iphone after the fact. Not a very elegant system.

Fun stuff (and great memories)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 03:32:20 AM »
Yeah, I recall sessions last winter in hood gloves and booties definitely being shorter than summer sessions, and that’s at 55 deg water and 50 deg air in a 4/3. I cringe at the thought of going harsher than that. My knees are also usually the first thing to complain but it’s mostly from aggressive upwind transitions. I call it upwind twist-turn stress. I’ll go for a 1 hour winter riding time goal. Another good test for the watch.

For me it is crappy case of progressive MS.  In the last 5 years it has taken my windsurfing, SUP Downwind, surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, running, now walking for more 10 minutes, etc.  I can still ride my bike fine, swim OK and wing, but not with any rise in body temp.  My prep is getting stupid.  2 hours of ice etc. to be reasonably functional.  I have to be cold when I get to the beach or it is pointless.  I am in a whiny mood right now because I had my MRI's last week.  This F'n thing is not going to let up on me.  I feel like my winging is improving while my body is trying to quit. 

Enough of that.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 04:25:14 AM »
My average session is 1 hour and half.
A lot depends on what i do (if i jump i get tired much quicker) and what i wear (with gloves i feel armpump after 20 min).
I know my session is over when i’m not able anymore to start with my 75lt board that in that case feels like a 19 lt sinker :)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:06:52 AM »

For me it is crappy case of progressive MS.  In the last 5 years it has taken my windsurfing, SUP Downwind, surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding, running, now walking for more 10 minutes, etc.  I can still ride my bike fine, swim OK and wing, but not with any rise in body temp.  My prep is getting stupid.  2 hours of ice etc. to be reasonably functional.  I have to be cold when I get to the beach or it is pointless.  I am in a whiny mood right now because I had my MRI's last week.  This F'n thing is not going to let up on me.  I feel like my winging is improving while my body is trying to quit. 

Enough of that.

Ok, that totally sucks.....I don’t know the first thing about MS, but it sounds crazy. Kuudoo’s for fighting it head on,...you have my total respect!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
Dawn patrol has a mind of it's own as to what it considers one "wave”

So what do you think a “wave” is considered for a downwinder like that?  I would love an app that record every direction change of say more than 110 deg to count transitions. Of course it would be really cool if you could input wind direction and dominate foot stance so that it could then record your exact type of transition. ::)

Try Waterspeed app.  It doesn’t guess waves just records whole session. 

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 08:36:28 AM »
This video has some tips on body positioning and stance to increase your time on the water:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zPSdNKf4_s

Quick question for the group.  When on foil, my rear leg quad is on fire most of the time.  I have great quad strength, so it isn't a conditioning question.  Do you think I'm putting too much weight on my rear foot? In other words, should weight be equally distributed on both feet (on average)? If so, I wonder if should shift my whole stance a couple inches back.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal