Author Topic: Recent Netflicks...  (Read 5165 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Recent Netflicks...
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:36 AM »
After watching 'Me and my Octopus'...  most stuff looks pretty cheezy.  We live in the country where the only options are weak cell signals, satellite TV ..and dialup equivalent for internet.  I record Amazon, Netflicks, etc... in town at the shop using a german program called Audials and tote home USB sticks.

As someone with little memory and attention span, I'd have never thought The Queen's Gambit ...a fricking program focused around 'chess' would have been the least bit interesting, but the scripts for the series are simply excellent as is the acting. 

As this series will soon run out for us... if there's anything you see that seems particularly well done. Please post it.  I bring home a lot of wilted lettuce on these USB sticks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Recent Netflicks...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 07:04:53 AM »
Apple TV+ has the most consistent “quality stuff” for me. Dirt cheap too. Ted Lasso was the latest awesome show.

If you don’t get it free, just turn it on for two months ($4.99) and binge everything, then cancel.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 08:11:09 AM »
After watching 'Me and my Octopus'...  most stuff looks pretty cheezy.  We live in the country where the only options are weak cell signals, satellite TV ..and dialup equivalent for internet.  I record Amazon, Netflicks, etc... in town at the shop using a german program called Audials and tote home USB sticks.

As someone with little memory and attention span, I'd have never thought The Queen's Gambit ...a fricking program focused around 'chess' would have been the least bit interesting, but the scripts for the series are simply excellent as is the acting. 

As this series will soon run out for us... if there's anything you see that seems particularly well done. Please post it.  I bring home a lot of wilted lettuce on these USB sticks.

Jim

It’s soooo good.. and I’m loving the music.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:45:36 PM »
If you grew up in the 60’s like I did, you might like “The Trial Of The Chicago Seven.” Great movie on Netflix. Is about the trial of some of those charged after the Chicago riots at the Democratic Convention where Hubert Humphrey received the nomination to run for President. Is a true story and very well done.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »
I really enjoyed the Chicago Seven, brought back a lot of memories.  If you want something fun and different, check out Sarah Coopers Everything is Fine

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 08:15:41 AM »
I just finished the final episode and I thought the same! A tv show based around chess? It was quite captivating.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
I'll have to look at the Chicago Seven ...I lived thru it.  I was working for Billboard Publications downtown at the time.  The scary time was after the assassination of MLK.  I lived in Glencoe (rental ..' not rich) at the time and everybody Evanston—North was afraid 'they' were coming for us. Back then, I never understood why they did the equivalent of walking outside to throw a Molotov thru 'their' front window.

Now, I suspect the majority didn't have transportation, and the ones that did likely knew Richard J Daily would have shot them. We Yanks tend prance around the World but have many dark stories permanently attached to us. 

Jim

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
Thanks for the heads up wrt "The Queen's Gambit". The wife and I binge watched it over two nights, and absolutely loved it!! Whilane both of us know and understand the game, neither of us could be considered actual "chess players" (can't remember the last time I played...30+ years?), but it was so well done that it didn't matter. I'd say that even someone w/o any knowledge of the game would still enjoy it it was so well written. Thanks again for posting about it.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
3S... Ya, ' zactly.. I hear 'the dutchman's twist' and am quite sure it must be a special move w/o knowing c'hit about it.  We slow-smoke good cigars (we don't actually smoke) and only watch two episodes per ...between the nightly horror shows on the news networks; the Grim Reaper flying around spreading the virus.

BIG time chess master, Garry Kasperov said something interesting... 'If you 'Round the Curve' enough - you circle back into yourself.  (or somesuch)  I head that here.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cafe/stay-tuned-with-preet/e/78965107

Jim

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
We've recently finished the series "Borgen", a political drama set in Denmark. Yes, subtitles, but worth it.

Also, the various "Criminal" shows were excellent, especially considering that all are shot on the same set with few scene changes. Here is a review with a suggestion for which order to view them in: https://screenrant.com/netflix-criminal-shows-watch-order/

Yes, Queen's Gambit was excellent. I wonder if the characters in the storyline represent chess pieces. I don't play so I have no idea, but it seems like life imitating art imitating life.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
"I wonder if the characters in the storyline represent chess pieces." ...that's an interesting thought, BE.  I can only assume that clever writers always 'salt' their work with nuggets Joe Schmoe will miss but others catch the slight-of-hand and clap for.

We watch a lot of 'foreign to us' content because there seems so much 'same old' themes or juvenile content.  We may drop HBO. Some is culturally strange where we miss the directed impact but it's still interesting exposure.

I think we saw one Icelandic/Danish drama ...we'll not be visiting anytime soon.  It looks brutal there. 

Jim

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »
Just watched:  Amazon Prime

AMERICAN PLAYBOY: The Hugh Hefner Story

Really good.  An American success story.  Felt like a gangster story where they were just printing money.

I am too young to have ever any Playboy association but I didn't know he predated James Bond and Disneyland.  And he was a true civil rights advocate on the subjects of race and freedom of speech among other things. 

In the end the Playboy logo is the 3rd most recognizable brand in the world behind Apple and Coca Cola.  Even if half true its amazing. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 06:57:40 PM »
Hey thanks for that Beasho, I'm watching it and enjoying it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
My Hefner library was between the mattress and box springs as a kid. I doubt I read much of the editorial filler.  My impression, his public persona was of a creepy, pool-lizard with a pipe.  He was likely a bit too early for Prince Andrew, Jeffery Epstein ..and a rather famous NY personality.

Jim

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »
I am sure that this has been mentioned elsewhere but “My Octopus Teacher” is a fascinating account of inter species bonding. The intelligence demonstrated by this little animal is amazing. Consciousness is perhaps one of the final frontiers.
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal