Author Topic: JL Super Frank vs Destroyer  (Read 1466 times)

sflinux

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JL Super Frank vs Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
Yup I'm deliberating between the 8'5 Destroyer or Caribsurf's 8'10 L41 Bruce right now... they're both for sale at my local shop.
"SF...love it but have a few things I wish it was better at:
1. catching a wave earlier - wish it had more glide / could track straighter so i didn't have to catch the wave at its peak
2. feeling stable on a bigger stronger wave - it's a pretty skatey board so on chest+ waves that have some oomph to them, you feel like a kid learning to ice skate... you think about cutting up the wave and your rear skids out real quick"

No JL experience here, but I have a few friends that ride his boards.  I know they feel the JL QUAD has too much rocker for our break.  They may suggest the JL Stun Gun. 
Between the two boards you are looking at, I would think the Destroyer would be more user friendly because of the pin tail.  I have a 9' Colin Mcphillips Long Board which has a similar tail to the to SF, which I like for small waves.  When the waves get bigger, I prefer a pin tail board (i.e. Joe Blair).  A wider tail board will feel more skatey (SF). 
The Bruce Wayne looks incredibly fast.  I don't have a Bruce Wayne, my biggest L41 is the ST @ 8'.  It doesn't catch waves earlier (however is easy to catch waves late), doesn't have a lot of glide (however accelerates quickly), doesn't track particularly well (however goes on rail easily).  The ST is fun and fast while on the wave.  When waves get near head high, I definitely prefer a pintail board over the wide tail ST.   
I would think the soft rails of the Destroyer would be more user friendly than the step rails of the L41.  I am sure both are good boards, I would imagine the L41 is higher performance, but probably demands more skill.  You should have no problem with the volume or width of either of these boards.
In terms of catching waves earlier, I would think that you would want a longer board.   My experience with L41 is they ride like a board 1 foot longer.  For tracking straighter, if the center box has a longboard box, adding a larger center fin definitely helps for tracking (which both Destroyer & Bruce Wayne have).  I recently discovered that the Colin Mcphillips board is super fun with a large single fin.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:14:23 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 195#, 6'2"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »
The dilemma I've faced since I started is that a lot of the boards with the correct volume for my weight have always been too narrow for me to ride.

I started in 2013 when I was 56 and as I've gotten older, have not been able to transition to low volume boards as I had hoped. Right now 31" is a comfortable width for me and I don't see myself going any narrower.

You being 40 years old with presumably no balance issues should have no problem going shorter and narrower, but this has to be done in steps.

My recommendation for your weight, experience, and type of wave riding you want to do is to look for a board with this basic outline and rocker with a width around 30 inches and a target volume around 120 liters. It might be a bit of a challenge at first but at your age, you should be able to adjust to it fairly quickly.

If we ever meet up when you're up this way, I'll let you try my Flow.

Badger spot on with this post.  If you are keeping the Super Frank you need to be on a more traditional shape with less volume.  You wont notice the lack of glide when the waves are bigger and youve already got momentum from a bigger longer period winter New England Waves.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
Hey Badger, yes on the sessions page about mid way down.

I will say Iím intrigued by sups with the step deck.  The Flow 2.0 and the l41ís.  I believe Caribsurf was selling a l41 Bruce Wayne that if I had the money would have jumped on it.

LB not to thread hijack but my only two sups now are step-decks.  8'0 l41 ST and a 8'2 Genration wedge.  Both pronounced and not subtle steps.

You can grab either anytime you want to give them a try since I usually cant make dawn patrol with the kiddos anymore to board swap in the water.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
Bought the 8'5 Destroyer just now. Had to engage in some serious retail therapy to calm my nerves with this completely abnormal election. Anxious to get it out there - hopefully this weekend! Thanks for all your insight y'all!
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6
Starboard Element 9'8
me: 5'11, 190lbs, 40yrs old

Dusk Patrol

• Peahi Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
Congrats... looking forward to a report out...

...and retail therapy?  You could have bought both. That's self control...
Bullet V2; RS 14x26; JL Destroyer 9'8; BluePlanet 9'4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal