Author Topic: JL Super Frank vs Destroyer  (Read 9871 times)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JL Super Frank vs Destroyer
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 12:41:49 PM »
Yup I'm deliberating between the 8'5 Destroyer or Caribsurf's 8'10 L41 Bruce right now... they're both for sale at my local shop.
"SF...love it but have a few things I wish it was better at:
1. catching a wave earlier - wish it had more glide / could track straighter so i didn't have to catch the wave at its peak
2. feeling stable on a bigger stronger wave - it's a pretty skatey board so on chest+ waves that have some oomph to them, you feel like a kid learning to ice skate... you think about cutting up the wave and your rear skids out real quick"

No JL experience here, but I have a few friends that ride his boards.  I know they feel the JL QUAD has too much rocker for our break.  They may suggest the JL Stun Gun. 
Between the two boards you are looking at, I would think the Destroyer would be more user friendly because of the pin tail.  I have a 9' Colin Mcphillips Long Board which has a similar tail to the to SF, which I like for small waves.  When the waves get bigger, I prefer a pin tail board (i.e. Joe Blair).  A wider tail board will feel more skatey (SF). 
The Bruce Wayne looks incredibly fast.  I don't have a Bruce Wayne, my biggest L41 is the ST @ 8'.  It doesn't catch waves earlier (however is easy to catch waves late), doesn't have a lot of glide (however accelerates quickly), doesn't track particularly well (however goes on rail easily).  The ST is fun and fast while on the wave.  When waves get near head high, I definitely prefer a pintail board over the wide tail ST.   
I would think the soft rails of the Destroyer would be more user friendly than the step rails of the L41.  I am sure both are good boards, I would imagine the L41 is higher performance, but probably demands more skill.  You should have no problem with the volume or width of either of these boards.
In terms of catching waves earlier, I would think that you would want a longer board.   My experience with L41 is they ride like a board 1 foot longer.  For tracking straighter, if the center box has a longboard box, adding a larger center fin definitely helps for tracking (which both Destroyer & Bruce Wayne have).  I recently discovered that the Colin Mcphillips board is super fun with a large single fin.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:14:23 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »
The dilemma I've faced since I started is that a lot of the boards with the correct volume for my weight have always been too narrow for me to ride.

I started in 2013 when I was 56 and as I've gotten older, have not been able to transition to low volume boards as I had hoped. Right now 31" is a comfortable width for me and I don't see myself going any narrower.

You being 40 years old with presumably no balance issues should have no problem going shorter and narrower, but this has to be done in steps.

My recommendation for your weight, experience, and type of wave riding you want to do is to look for a board with this basic outline and rocker with a width around 30 inches and a target volume around 120 liters. It might be a bit of a challenge at first but at your age, you should be able to adjust to it fairly quickly.

If we ever meet up when you're up this way, I'll let you try my Flow.

Badger spot on with this post.  If you are keeping the Super Frank you need to be on a more traditional shape with less volume.  You wont notice the lack of glide when the waves are bigger and youve already got momentum from a bigger longer period winter New England Waves.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
Hey Badger, yes on the sessions page about mid way down.

I will say I’m intrigued by sups with the step deck.  The Flow 2.0 and the l41’s.  I believe Caribsurf was selling a l41 Bruce Wayne that if I had the money would have jumped on it.

LB not to thread hijack but my only two sups now are step-decks.  8'0 l41 ST and a 8'2 Genration wedge.  Both pronounced and not subtle steps.

You can grab either anytime you want to give them a try since I usually cant make dawn patrol with the kiddos anymore to board swap in the water.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
Bought the 8'5 Destroyer just now. Had to engage in some serious retail therapy to calm my nerves with this completely abnormal election. Anxious to get it out there - hopefully this weekend! Thanks for all your insight y'all!
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
Congrats... looking forward to a report out...

...and retail therapy?  You could have bought both. That's self control...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 04:05:13 AM »
Thought I'd revive this topic as these are 2 boards that i'm interested in. Nothing like a bit of necro posting  ;D

This will be my first proper step down to a smaller surf orientated SUP and my gut says to be conservative with the size and aim for the 140L mark. I know some will say that's too big for an 85kg ad I'll outgrow it but my local has really poor and small surf and is super choppy. I'd rather have the stability and wave catching ability of less volume. I'm comfortable in knowing that might change in the future but I dont think it happens quickly and I'm ok with having to change further down the line. I'd hope to have a better idea of what would work for me at that point. What I would find useful to know is a comparison of the following between the two boards.

a) Stability, particularly in chop
b) Ease onto waves
c) small surf performance 2' conditions. I'm expecting the SF to be better but how much better?
d) Where do people draw the line conditions wise with the SF. I know the Destroyer can handle bigger, better surf but I have to be realistic and admit the chances of me seeing those conditions often enough to warrant a board for those conditions are a waste of money.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 07:22:22 AM »
Noo Noo.  Definetly PM LBsup.   He posted earlier on the thread. He owns both boards right in the sizes you are looking at and is right around your weight.

Cant beat that for info!

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2021, 05:00:16 PM »
@Noo Noo - I'd recommend the 9' Super Frank for what you're describing. In my opinion the SF is much more stable so if you have chop, it's your best bet. Going from a 8'6"x32" Super Frank to a 8'5"x30.5" Destroyer has been tricky. I have to position my feet perfectly and focus much more on the Destroyer when out in the lineup waiting for waves. I remember sitting in the lineup on a choppy windy day with the Super Frank and had zero issues with stability. I much prefer the Destroyer on bigger faster waves as it can really hold a big bottom turn without sliding out in the rear, but I always hesitate to take it out unless it's a decently clean day.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 05:35:10 PM »
@Noo noo - where are you at? I think the other thing to ponder is how you want to ride. If you are more cruising and drawing longer lines on a wave then I would lean more towards the Destroyer, if you are on mostly short, wind chop type of waves than definitely the Super Frank. It's incredibly stable.

For reference, I used the 7'6" narrow Super Frank as my primary board @78 kg and it was super stable, and then had a longboard SUP (10'1" JL Black and Blue for cruising). I've ridden the Destroyer once and it is a really nice riding board, but agree with the others if you are looking at a lot of wind chop - Super Frank.

In any case, JL boards are top notch, you will not be disappointed.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Noo Noo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
@Noo noo - where are you at? I think the other thing to ponder is how you want to ride. If you are more cruising and drawing longer lines on a wave then I would lean more towards the Destroyer, if you are on mostly short, wind chop type of waves than definitely the Super Frank. It's incredibly stable.

For reference, I used the 7'6" narrow Super Frank as my primary board @78 kg and it was super stable, and then had a longboard SUP (10'1" JL Black and Blue for cruising). I've ridden the Destroyer once and it is a really nice riding board, but agree with the others if you are looking at a lot of wind chop - Super Frank.

In any case, JL boards are top notch, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks APPST. Definitely wind chop type and short breaks more often than not. It does clean up from time to time and the waves are small and probably best suited to the Striker but by far most of the time I'm dealing with chop and mess.

I'm happily leaning towards the SF I think, I feel comfortable with what I've gathered from people on here etc. I have a minor quandary on size, either the 8'6 wide or the 9'0 lean. I know people will say I'll outgrow them but I honestly dont think that will happen quickly such is the crap surf I'm trying to learn in. Plus I'd rather catch more waves and have the greater stability. The board could also double up as a first board for my little'un in a year or two as well.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
BigZ    what fins are you using in your Destroyer ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:37 AM »
BigZ - I'm also curious what you're using for fins on your Destroyer 8'5.

I started off with the stock setup (massive 8" center and 4" sides) but quickly swapped the 8" center for a 6.5" and like it much better. I just plugged in a set of 4.5" Gerry Lopez GL1s all around and am curious how that will work out. I'm also curious to try it in a quad setup on smaller/mushier days for speed.

I'm loving the board, at times my 5'11" 190lb body finds it a bit unstable in wind and chop, but overall it's SOLID. I've had it out in anything from ankle slappers to a few feet overhead and it's just so comfortable in all of it. Gunning down the line, bottom turns, lip smacks, etc... it does it all with confidence.

Lately I've been thinking about a new board with a little more length and width to combat the front-back/side-side balance issues on choppy days and for winter when I'm weighed down by my winter gear... and I'm wondering about the Destroyer 8'10 (and selling my 8'5). If anyone in New England has one and would be willing to get my jump on it, please let me know.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:47 AM »
I’ve been riding my destroyer as a thruster using the JL stock side fins but a 4” true ames fin in the center, I really like this setup. 
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal