Author Topic: Riding offset - advantages ?  (Read 4624 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Riding offset - advantages ?
« on: October 29, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »
Hi Everyone,
i just found a picture of the new Derek Hama's board (Jimmy Lewis new design, which seems interesting but on the website there is nothing yet).
I noticed immediately the offset position of the straps.
i've always ridden in the usual way (both feet centered) but i'm wondering if it's better riding with feet in this position.
And also do you need some adjustment of your balance when you with from centered to offset position?
Please advice.
Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Riding offset - advantages ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
off set is more powerful. Up to you. Some people freak out if not on center.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
Thank you Dwight,
What do you prefer?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
If you look at how Derek powers his board around, you'll see why he does that. But we mere mortals need to be a little careful following his lead. I watch Kai Lenny do a lot of things and it never occurs to me that I should copy him, his board setups, or even what he wears for boardshorts.

I have, however, tried moving my front foot closer to the rail, I might try it again some day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
Thank you Dwight,
What do you prefer?

offset

I made myself a new board 1/2” wider, to ride with more offset.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:27:56 PM »
I’ve been wondering if this would be necessary even, not just an option, for winging upwind. I see the boards wing front straps in a V setup and it made me wonder.

Should I be sneaking my front foot to the upwind side or can I learn to angle the board without it?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »
I don’t use straps, but I have always placed my feet offset from day 1.  I switch stance  , my foot set up is off center on both sides.   I never feel comfortable with my feet centered. I feel like the board controls me rather than me controlling the board when my feet are in the center.
It might also have something to do with my windsurfing background, in straps off center / on the rail of the board.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 02:22:35 AM »
I think offsetting your feet is pretty much required with the giant wingspans most are using now. I've never tried with straps but without my feet are just naturally offset.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 05:07:00 AM »
That is really pretty light offset.  The strap position looks extreme but in his back foot will be pretty well centered and his his front toes will be pretty much on the centerline.  If that were a wider board the offset would look very minor.  I like to have my back foot pretty well centered and my front foot so I can swing my heel out towards the rail for heelside turns and then back again.  Foil width matters a lot.  Meter wide foils need more offset.  Or they resist turns.  Foils in the 700 range start to wobble if you are too far out.  Straps also make it so you can offset less.  Being able to pull up on your toes to help a turn you don't need as much offset.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
I’m no expert, but I ride with my front foot-toes or ball of foot on centerline and my rear heel on or just leeward of the centreline. Feels very balanced to me, unlike both feet on centerline which feels unnatural. But I did spend 20 yrs windsurfing and last 12 years kiting a strapless surfboard.

Mike

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi everyone,
I’m again on this topic since I find out some Brands (like Quatro) are offering only the offset position on their board.
Someone says that the offset position is better for going upwind since you edge more on the rail (that make sense) but not as good for pumping and landing jumps since you are not centered and then balanced on the boards (that make sense too for me), but unfortunately I did not tried it myself yet.  Do you find this info correct?
On the other side I also noticed other brands (like JP) are offering with their 2021 wing boards the 3 options for the straps: V, centered and offset which is cool I think so the customer can try what is best for their ride.
Thanks

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »
For the price we pay they should offer ALL OPTIONS of inserts.. Costs them nothing, weight gain is minimal.. Personally I ENJOY jobbing and CHANGING my front foot.. I want to be good at riding toeside BOTH directions! How can you do that when your board is setup offset?
The "Y" configuration makes sense.. Although I still prefer midline inserts and straps.. Just like my kite surf board

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
Joe this is one of the mysteries of toe side for me. We ride with our front foot on the high side of the board seemingly edging in a way doesn’t work. I guess you have to feel it.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 01:14:40 AM »
For the price we pay they should offer ALL OPTIONS of inserts.. Costs them nothing, weight gain is minimal.. Personally I ENJOY jobbing and CHANGING my front foot.. I want to be good at riding toeside BOTH directions! How can you do that when your board is setup offset?
The "Y" configuration makes sense.. Although I still prefer midline inserts and straps.. Just like my kite surf board

I think we are getting Offset and Switch mixed up.
Offset is when you ride with your feet not centered on the stringer.
Any V strap configuration is going to have some front foot offset on both tacks.

Switch is when you ride with same foot forward on both tacks.
So you can ride switch with or without offset.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 04:45:05 AM »
Don’t be misled by the strap positions.  I’ll bet the ball of his front foot is pretty close to midline.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal