Author Topic: Wing effect in wind window  (Read 1761 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wing effect in wind window
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:34:27 AM »
I did a few videos showing how a wing will push from one side of the wind window pushing up wind, to pulling down wind in the middle of the window, to pulling up wind on the side of the wind window. Those coming from kiting will relate quickly to this. I'll have a part 3 soon with me doing it on a bigger wing and showing the pump onto foil.

https://youtu.be/EqSxHMGUYoc

https://youtu.be/ve0k3yN8I98

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Wing effect in wind window
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
Good ones, Nick...   I need to either carry a binder full of printouts or have a Sat. connection at beach.  By the time I get there/set up I have forgotten 90%. I do a lot of 'error and trial'. My takeaway from these is 'a long front arm'.  Sadly for this area, the whole month of Oct provided ~3 days with winds 12-18kts in a safe pocket. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
Eye-opening! I cannot thank you enough for posting this.  I have a modest amount of wind experience, but these techniques completed alluded me.
To move upwind, I was trying to push the entire wing behind me.  I thought if I held the handles close to the nose, it would allow me to push the wing even further behind me.  However, your technique is showing to hold the wing with the handles that are further back, away from the nose and extend the nose out and away from you (I think).
If anyone has any more tips on how to position the wing in the wind, I'd love to hear them. I can get on foil on my strong side through brute force and luck, but these types of how-tos are a huge help.
Big, big thanks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »
Nick, thank you man. This solves a mystery for me too. I’m better at staying upwind schloging switch than regular stance. It’s the way I hold the wing. Can’t wait to try this and yes, keep this basic knowledge coming. There’s a ton of us who have no wind experience on these things now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal