Author Topic: new fin setup for JL Super Frank  (Read 2972 times)

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
new fin setup for JL Super Frank
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
Hey folks. I want to try a new fin set up with my JL Super Frank. I've been running it with the stock quad fins but want to try it as a thruster / 2+1 setup. The reason I want to switch it up is because I feel like on waves that are 4'+ it's just super skatey and I want to have a bit more control when the waves are bigger and hefty... similar to how I've felt on my Starby Element 9'8 with a 2+1 setup. The waves on Saturday were head+ and my rear was slipping out on my initial bottom turn constantly. I would have to over-compensate and rely on my paddle for stability too much. The center fin box is a futures, so not a long box. I've been searching around but am struggling to find an affordable Futures 6" or 7" center fin that could accommodate the 4.5" side fins. Or maybe I just need to experiment with a nubster? I just have a hard time believing something that small would provide the level of bite I'm looking for on the bigger days. Has anyone messed around with fin configuration on their Super Frank (or similar shaped board)? Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:37:33 AM by northshore_slider »
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new fin setup for JL Super Frank
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:11:32 AM »
How many fins did your Super Frank came with? My 8' SF came with 5, one is a center fin (same 4.5" as the rest). I do prefer the thruster setup over the quad in general.
in progress...

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
How many fins did your Super Frank came with? My 8' SF came with 5, one is a center fin (same 4.5" as the rest). I do prefer the thruster setup over the quad in general.
I bought mine used and it only came with 4 JL fins. How do you like the SF with the thruster? Have you tried it in 4'-6' waves? I'll snag an inexpensive Ho Stevie thruster setup and try it out. Then probably try out the nubster (found one for $16 on Amazon) and see how that goes with the quad fins in.

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
I bought mine used and it only came with 4 JL fins. How do you like the SF with the thruster? Have you tried it in 4'-6' waves? I'll snag an inexpensive Ho Stevie thruster setup and try it out. Then probably try out the nubster (found one for $16 on Amazon) and see how that goes with the quad fins in.

I'd probably start with a nubster. I tried the SF in the local shore break on 4' with all 5 and it didn't suck. I don't use it much but if I did I would probably go with an XL pivot style thruster set.
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »
The Frank is just a naturally skatey board due to its flat rocker. The bigger the waves, the skatier it gets. The quad set up should give more hold and control than thruster.

I've been running mine as a quad since day one. I've tried thruster a few times and each time I felt like I had less control of the board. I also think that the Super Franks shape is more suited to quad.

I'd say your problem has to do with the nature of the design of the board. Whenever my SF starts to feel too skatey in chest-high or bigger waves, I usually switch over to the Sunova Flow and that solves the problem. Skatey can be fast and fun on nice clean smaller waves but on bigger days the SF can be a handful so I don't use it.

The Super Frank was not designed to be an all-around board. It likes specific conditions. The flat rocker gives it the extra speed that you want when the waves are slow and mushy. In bigger, faster waves you're much better off on a board with more rocker.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 11:57:04 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
The Frank is just a naturally skatey board due to its flat rocker. The bigger the waves, the skatier it gets. The quad set up should give more hold and control than thruster.

I've been running mine as a quad since day one. I've tried thruster a few times and each time I felt like I had less control of the board. I also think that the Super Franks shape is more suited to quad.

I'd say your problem has to do with the nature of the design of the board. Whenever my SF starts to feel too skatey in chest-high or bigger waves, I usually switch over to the Sunova Flow and that solves the problem. Skatey can be fast and fun on nice clean smaller waves but on bigger days the SF can be a handful so I don't use it.

The Super Frank was not designed to be an all-around board. It likes specific conditions. The flat rocker gives it the extra speed that you want when the waves are slow and mushy. In bigger, faster waves you're much better off on a board with more rocker.
Thanks Badger - this kinda confirms my suspicions. I think I just need a different board with a diff shape somewhere in the 8'10 - 9'2 range for chest/head high waves. Whenever I've had the SF on bigger waves I feel like a 5 year old on ice skates and my form and balance has to be perfect to stay upright. It's kinda fun to feel that speed and be on the knife edge of out of control, but I think I'd get more enjoyment from a board designed for bigger waves. Thanks for the input as always!

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »

Def. try the nubster and the quad first.  Easy experiment for a couple bucks and I run one all winter on my quad for a little extra hold. Plus very easy to find rather than a single large center futures fin.

Also- Pass on the Ho Stevies.  I get it- they are cheap- but they all break.  I broke a set I had as 'emergency fins' on my prone board the first day out while i was lending a set of fins out

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
You could also make yourself a 'big nubster' to run with your quad set by getting a cheapo plastic center futures fin and cutting/shaping it down.  Make it look like a small 'regular' fin, instead of a nubster.  I bet CR has a box of random fins you could get something from.

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the insight folks. Appreciate it. I bought a cheap Ho Stevie nubster and will try it out with the JL quad fins on the Frank and see if it makes any difference.

I also just bought a used 8'5 Destroyer (couldn't pass it up) and it came with the stock massive 8" center fin and 4" sides. I bet I'll enjoy that fin setup on bigger days and probably swap out the center for a 6" on smaller days. Excited to try it out!

previous:

@surfing_byrneski

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
That's awesome that you picked up the Destroyer. I'm sure it will be a fun board. Let us know how it surfs and post some photos.

I tried the Futures TMF nubster on my JL World Wide 8'5 for most of 2015 and did not notice any difference in how the board performed. I think the whole nubster idea was a gimmick to help the fin industry make a few bucks. Kelly Slater used one in a contest and suddenly everybody had to have one. I don't see any of the pro's using them these days.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »
Congrats! That's a good way to treat your self. There's no such thing as too many boards (only not enough storage)
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal