Author Topic: October Okinawa West Side Outer Reef  (Read 3434 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
October Okinawa West Side Outer Reef
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:31 PM »
Short video from yesterday. Dying swell on the west side, so we decided to hit an outer reef that no one goes to because it's a pretty far paddle. Grabs more of the swell though. North side of the reef was bombing, but dangerous (draining almost dry) and on-shore wind, so we stuck to the more south-west side. No real shots of the sets because I'm not patient enough to just sit and wait with the camera...LOL 

Tried some different stuff with the paddle camera, trying to look back and be able to see the lip behind you, but that's awful hard to do when it's steep enough that you are grabbing the rail. Thinking about holding the camera in the right spot, trying to keep the nose of a 10' board out of the water when the board won't even fit into the shape of the wave, and on and on. So as I suspected, paddle cam works best in chase (behind), which is good, as that's where it's most comfortable to keep the paddle, even if you can't really see the wave. Was being pretty conservative with what I took with the camera, as I was pretty focused on the camera and not what I was doing  ::)  The whole video thing has been really interesting and eye opening.

Brought the 10' board because I thought we'd be surfing the smaller inside breaks. Makes that long paddle a breeze, though! Blue Planet NP10 in standard lay-up, 10'x28"x128L with Futures F6 Alpha side fins, and a Blue Planet carbon honeycomb center (4.72" depth x 4.33" base).

Question: Do people prefer the talking and stuff, or should the videos just stick to the surfing?

https://youtu.be/zrBnIBulzgo
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:36:58 PM by OkiWild »

supthecreek

Re: October Okinawa West Side Outer Reef
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:44:57 AM »
Good vid Oki, thanks for the offshore visit!

Don't create by poll.... just do whatever you feel like doing when you are doing it!
Doing something personal is what make vids interesting and different from others.
I watched a video called "How to Take off late", by Brett Barley (amazing human and surfer) that actually talks about setting up a proper tube ride.
You started to move to the tail in the end... so you may like his thoughts on that.
I won't post it here, so the thread doesn't get derailed, but check it out!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »
Nice video. I always welcome few talking points, especially when there's more than meets the eye.
in progress...

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
Cool video OW!  I don’t mind the speaking parts, I’d add them to my videos but with the Soloshot I don’t know how.  :o
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:33:05 PM »
Take'n a beating :) I'm digging the shaft mount. You're getting it down. It gives you a better feel of the surroundings and actually being there surfing along with you. I don't get that from the chest, hat, or board mounts. It's the fact that it's moving around and changing angles constantly that gives it almost a 3D perspective. I've thought about mounting a second camera on the paddle up near the handle pointing back into the barrel. That way you don't have to hold the paddle forward. Fun stuff.

BTW, I've been surfing a shallow reef break lately too. It's steep and stands up fast. My shins and feet are pretty banged up. Lots of little cuts and bruises. 70+ degree water so no wetsuit protection.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
Thanks for taking us along! ... I'm always blown away by how clear the water is in your videos, the reef is perfectly visible at the 2:55 mark! That would take some getting use to!
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »
Good vid Oki, thanks for the offshore visit!

Don't create by poll.... just do whatever you feel like doing when you are doing it!
Doing something personal is what make vids interesting and different from others.
I watched a video called "How to Take off late", by Brett Barley (amazing human and surfer) that actually talks about setting up a proper tube ride.
You started to move to the tail in the end... so you may like his thoughts on that.
I won't post it here, so the thread doesn't get derailed, but check it out!

Thanks for the advice and kind words, Creek.

I've seen Brett's video, and have no problem on a shortboard. I think my problem is that a 10' board just doesn't fit where I'm asking it to...strike that...I KNOW it doesn't... ;D   The take off on this break goes from gentle-sloping to bottom-drops-out very quickly. At this size, the board just won't fit into the shape of the wave. To have any control, I have to be near the tail, and where on a shortboard, you just pull that rear foot forward, there's a journey involved with the long board. Being on the tail gets you in and moving down the line quickly, but the nose is a giant pendulum in space, uncontrollable, and wants to grab everything it touches. Get forward where it's comfortable, and the tail gets pulled up, and dumps you. Hell, just watch the SUP and longboard class at the Backdoor Shootout, they have such a hard time. I'm asking too much here, and will get busy with an 8'2"x28" for this stuff in the future, and leave the longboard for longboard waves  :)

Nice video. I always welcome few talking points, especially when there's more than meets the eye.

Thanks!

Take'n a beating :) I'm digging the shaft mount. You're getting it down. It gives you a better feel of the surroundings and actually being there surfing along with you. I don't get that from the chest, hat, or board mounts. It's the fact that it's moving around and changing angles constantly that gives it almost a 3D perspective. I've thought about mounting a second camera on the paddle up near the handle pointing back into the barrel. That way you don't have to hold the paddle forward. Fun stuff.

BTW, I've been surfing a shallow reef break lately too. It's steep and stands up fast. My shins and feet are pretty banged up. Lots of little cuts and bruises. 70+ degree water so no wetsuit protection.

Thanks TD. It's a real balancing act trying to be a filmer and putting the stick where it doesn't belong, and trying to surf a critical wave at the same time.

For real on the reef situation. Even the lightest touch on an ankle or toe becomes a bleeder  ;D  Even a head high wave can be quite intimidating when the floor drains, and it suddenly jacks up so quick, the lip actually throws upward. Our water is currently around 80°  :D 

Thanks for taking us along! ... I'm always blown away by how clear the water is in your videos, the reef is perfectly visible at the 2:55 mark! That would take some getting use to!

Thanks. It does take getting used to. On glassy, no wind days, it can be hard to even see the water surface, and adds a serious challenge to surfing.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 06:36:39 AM »
"I cannot get barreled backside on a sup to save my life"...LMAO!!! Hey you made the little barrel at the 02:30 mark. I enjoyed your commentary, very interesting. Also that acoustic guitar was very nice. Curious why you wear surf trunks over your wetsuit.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »
Curious why you wear surf trunks over your wetsuit.
Here we go with the 'fashion police' thing again....... ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »
Go Oki, needing the the surf stoke here.
The paddle angle is working out well for you. Whereabouts was the spot on the west side?
You will find the shorter length but more so the 28” width a game changer in the hollow bits.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 07:49:07 AM »
Curious why you wear surf trunks over your wetsuit.
Here we go with the 'fashion police' thing again....... ;)
Hey, I didn't make fun of his baggies overwear! Was curious if there is a functional purpose to it. I personally try to minimalize gear when heading up to the beach and paddling out.
Let's see-
Board
Paddle
Leash
Surf Cap
Camera(s)
Water
Towel
Phone

Yea, that's enough!  :P
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 08:35:05 AM »
Great video.  Glad to hear the inner voice projected on to the camera.

And those beatings.  That's how we get better :)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal