Author Topic: Any Tropical Surf Destinations for Dec 2020 during the Pandemic?  (Read 7782 times)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tropical Surf Destinations for Dec 2020 during the Pandemic?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 06:16:31 AM »
Nosara is a fantastic place and if my wife didn't have long tail Covid since Feb and wasn't able to pick up a board and surf this summer (though spending time in salt water was therapeutic), we probably would have moved down there for the Winter where I could work from the albeit spotty wifi in town.

But note that the vibe in Nosara is pretty far from an all-inclusive resort. It's got a Yogi/Surfer/Bohemian vibe to it which can be great if you're looking for that but it's not super luxurious. Mostly dirt roads and no beach bars (development is thankfully prohibited within 200m of the beach). If your wife is into Yoga one of the highest-end places there is the Bodhi Tree resort.  They probably do include a meal plan but I doubt the atmosphere there is pina coladas by the pool.  The Harmony hotel is probably the other higher-end option available where the vibe is probably more like gentrified Brooklyn in Costa Rica. 

Now there are a couple big resorts in that general area of CR. There is a JW Marriott south of Tamarindo in Playa Avellanas that probably has a pretty luxurious setup with great waves right out front.  That would probably be my pick to satisfy both the desire for waves and luxury, but it probably isn't all-inclusive or cheap.

Marriott also owns the Hotel Punta Islita quite a ways further south but waves are probably at least a 20min drive away (e.g. Camaronal) that even has a beachfront pool bar (we stumbled upon it while exploring the area while staying and surfing in an pretty rustic AirBnB in Camaronal. 

Tamarindo is now mostly high-rises and condos and everyone I know who's been there recently has been disappointed, but if you're looking for a party vibe that much more of the place to go. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:44 PM »
CR ...Tamarindo—has been looking pretty normal the last week or so.  This was 4:30 pm on 1 Dec.  (it will be interesting to see if there's a Christmas vacation bump, aside from locals...)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
Any ideas you ask?

For a dissenting opinion, just stay home. Not trying to cast shade here: it just seems like the responsible thing to do. Canada's Covid rates are dismal, so let's not export it. Nobody thinks that they personally could be a carrier, yet the virus is spreading. Everyone thinks they are taking appropriate precautions from getting it, yet the virus is spreading.

Try a theme party for two at home: send a donation to your future destination's local hospitals or other charity; buy some food from there; get some local cash; put on some local music; turn up the thermostat and raise the humidity; put on your swim suits and throw all that cash in the air. Video it and get back to us on the 28th.

Even Tofino is saying stay home: https://tourismtofino.com/bulletins/covid-19-notification-to-visitors/#:~:text=The%20Province%20of%20BC%20is,your%20household%20or%20core%20bubble.

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
Hey awesome tips and advice everyone, thank you! Wow the pic in the next-to-last post could almost be Waikiki (in reverse, Diamond Head is on the south) 50 years ago, before many buildings sprouted up! Hey Tyler M, why didn't you stay? :) I get asked a lot why I left Hawaii, and believe me it wasn't really my choice - had to do with our jobs ending there due to a company being bought out.

OK so my wife and I can (and have) lived everywhere, with anybody. We've lived in Boston (7 y), middle of Louisiana (3.5y), Northern California (13 y) and Hawaii (5.5y) and can appreciate any and all vibes and cultures / societies / religions from academic to free-spirited. We do like Bohemian / Hippie (e.g. Paia, Maui) and I'm excited to hear about a Yoga resort nearby - I love all types of yoga and do them often (yin, yang, vinyasa, Iyengar, BUTI yoga, SUP Yoga, AcroYoga). In fact we are not really into luxury hotels / destinations, nor can we afford it. That being said, our honeymoon was at a Sandals in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and to celebrate 25 years we want some warm tropical destination, for me: surf, and I really want to be in a hotel with a whirlpool. For me wife, she doesn't care about food, she wants the all-inclusive mostly for the unlimited drinks. If alcohol is cheap enough, I am not sure if it matters, but I probably wouldn't want to NOT be able to relax in a hot tub.

It's looking like we will stay home and stay safe, but this thread is helping me decide where to go even if its Dec 2021 instead of Dec 2020.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:18:36 PM by marvinhecht »
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
Now researching Nosara more, based on the suggestions above, and asking friends- regardless of if I go Dec 2020 or (most likely) Dec 2021. A friend also advised avoiding Tamarindo saying it is a busy concrete beach town. I have emails into Blue Zone SUP - but their camp dates may not work and their residence is less 'resort-like" than we are hoping for we will see. Someone above mentioned look into Nosara Paddle Surf they also offer not only SUP surf camps but individual lessons / tutoring, and a bonus is that they use Infinity SUPs. I went through the list of hotels above and looks like the Guided Iguana and the Lagarta Lodge have Jacuzzi's, Lagarta Lodge also has Aerial Yoga which we like. Looking into Yoga studios and SUP Yoga too - my wife and I both do that, and she likes little shops etc. Thanks!
GL1 and GL2 quads

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »
Hey all,

Well I may need to take a different course after all. I got excited and started telling my wife about all the information I found out about CR and Nasara in particular. She said she thought this anniverary trip was turning into something "all about me" - I was putting my need to surf above her wants and desires to relax, eat, drink, and have fun. So I thought I'd turn on Youtube and show her Nasara. It looks interesting, cute, lots of nature, little earthy, not very commercial. She (and I) were disappointed that the beach itself has no hotels (or anything on it). It kind of reminded me of when we went to Hanalay Bay on Kuawai and I was like - uhh where are all the hotels? This looks like we are in the TV show Lost. I was pretty annoyed that even the surf shops in Hanalay Bay were way back downtown, you couldn't just rent a surfboard like in Honolulu on Kalakawa Ave and walk across the street and hop in the water.  In Waikiki my wife loved to shop while I surfed. For our 20th anniversary even though we lived in Honolulu, we stayed in the Sheraton right on the beach and loved it- I went out to populars and came back in to eat lunch, then went back out again. I did see that Tamarindo Dirinda beach resort is RIGHT on the beach kind of like Waikiki, not sure if you can rent boards in the hotel itself? But on Youtube at least, it did not seem particularly luxurious or exciting. Hard to tell even on video. We also saw videos about Cabarete, DR, and it looked OK, kind of similar to CR but not particularly luxurious, but more windy with a lot of kiters  hmm when I'd go to Kailua there'd be a lot of kiters and I almost got my head taken off by one. I may not be watching the right  youtube videos but in any case my wife was non=plused.

I go OK, let's search Youtube for BEST ALL INCLUSIVE RESORTS around the world and maybe a few of them are in a place I could surf. We came across some really nice looking resorts in the Maldives, a lot of those looked really cool with the little huts above water, and they seemed to have good surf breaks nearby. I know Rogue One (Star Wars) was shot in Maldives, and I bet it really is nice - just kind of far! We came across some favorable reviews of other places in Costa Rica: Kalon surf resort, Dreams Las Marias, Westin Golf resort looked nice (except I am not into golfing). Cancun Playa Mujeres looked fun (we almost went to Cancun for our Honeymoon but chose Montego Bay Sandals instead), many places in St. Lucia looked really beautiful, and 1 in Antiqua. My windsurf buddy says St. Lucia is gorgeous and makes Hawaii look like a dive - I said wait a minute, have you been to Oahu North Shore or especially Kuwaii ? He then admitted he had only been to Maui, and ment Maui not Hawaii.  I still need to go back and challenge him on that- there are some really nice places in Maui maybe he hasn't seen. Anyway, he said St. Lucia is very very beautiful and great for windsurf but not sure about surf spots since it has a lagoon around it. Reviews seem to indicate that too. Hope he and I are wrong - anybody know of any good surf spots in St Lucia? :)

Then I hit pay dirt with my wife. We saw several videos about this new "Grand Velas Cabo San Lucas" in Mexico. We agreed that the place looked beautiful, seems to have beautiful views, seems ultra luxurious, gives you that feeling like you are being pampered - and it was noted that the food and even alchohol is top-notch, even thought it is an all-inclusive. We lived in San Francisco for 13 years and love Mexican food, culture, Cinco De Mayo, Rita's and Fahita's, so this struck a cord. I see that Cabo is down that part of Mexico called the "Baja" peninsula and I figured the pacific ocean probably sends some nice waves there. It seems like where this hotel is in Cabo it is on the wrong side and only gets south swells, and I don't think south swells come in December (could be wrong). Also it seems there are not many swimable beaches due to steep dropoffs and rip currents. So .. hhhhmmm.. I am not sure I could surf at the time we go in Cabo near that hotel (I hope I am wrong). There is some other hotel even more luxurious near a surf spot called "The Monuments" but it is for experienced surfers only, and I am intermediate. Well in any case that hotel looks so nice I'd probably just go there and enjoy it and stay on the property, maybe even forget about surfing!

But.. I would like to surf at least some of the time.. so I kept looking.  I see there is the Mexican pipeline area (Puerto Escondido, Oaxana) = but I read that is also big surf, for exports only. it does seem there are good surf spots along the Baja pensinsula for intermediate surfers = I am reading about a lot of LEFTS cool!! Many of these surf spots on the Baja peninsula seem to be in small fishing villages or small towns (Manzillo Bay? , La Ticla?, Punta Conjo ?) , and from what i can find out don't have that vibe that comes with lots of people and/or a really luxurious resort. I might be OK if the surfing was good ... but my wife would be bored or not have fun. One brigth spot  -- there seems to be another "Grand Velas" resort in an an area callled Niyut - and that area seems to have some good surf spots, that could be it! Hoping it has the vibe/excitement of the other Grand Velas resort but right close to (or on) surf spots? I'll continue my quest but any thoughts / comments on this area of Mexico? I think I could be be pretty happy to go with my wife and SUP surf at least some of the time! I don't doubt that Costa Rica has great or better waves, I just may need to visit it some other time -- either on my own or with a surf buddy...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:32:22 PM by marvinhecht »
GL1 and GL2 quads

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »
Your comments on Hanalei explain a lot. That's literally why people like Hanalei, but as they say, different strokes.

Here's your answer. Punta Mita. You'll stay married and get to surf small safe warm waves. It's Mexico so they can build a hotel anywhere they want as long as the right person gets paid. No pesky nature to worry about, just get the bulldozers, gringos want a pool here with umbrella drinks pronto! lol

But seriously, forget anywhere else, these guys are showing you places your wife won't dig or will get you into swell you don't want to handle on a SUP. Get off the airplane, go to the hotel. Call a surf shop, have your stuff delivered and have a vacation.  It's ok. Not everyone is going to live out their William Finnegan dreams. Sometimes you just want a fruity drink on the beach and that's ok.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
I agree with Surfcowboy. The two places that my wife and I have had excellent vacations that include great SUP surfing have been Hanalei and Punta Mita. The ideal place for us is one where my wife and I can have fun without having to drive. In Hanalei, I usually take the car for a dawn patrol session. My wife can sleep late, walk to town,  or just enjoy where we're staying. This allows me to get my guilt free morning surf.

In Punta Mita, we have stayed at the Royal Palladium which is an all inclusive resort that is located on a very good surf break, burrows.  Again, if I go for a surf, she not stuck somewhere with nothing to do. We are basically not into the all inclusive resort scene, but the Palladium does work for us.

Both Hanalei and Punta Mita offer a lot of other sights and activities for a great non-surf vacation.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »
Completely agree cowboy. I've been to both Punta Mita and Nosara and it doesn't sound like Nosara is really the type of place you and your wife will really enjoy - you have to put in some effort both to get there and get around - while Punta Mita has plenty of options and is an easy trip especially from the West Coast. 

Punta Mita has both really high-end resorts (Four Seasons, St. Regis) for the high-rollers as well as other options around (We stayed at the more budget-oriented surf hotel Quinta del Sol, outside the gates) and there are a ton of potential waves that aren't very heavy (e.g. La Lancha).  If you're looking for all-inclusive I would look at the Grand Palladium Punta Mita.  It's right in front of a great surf break (Burros) and they host a SUP retreat out of the resort run by no less than Iain Cairns, Sean Poynter and Daniel Hughes. Our friend Evelyn O'Doherty (publisher of Standup Journal) went down there for a wounded warriors retreat and wrote an article about it for the Journal. 
https://www.standupjournal.com/2020/02/21/genration-xperiences-provide-premiere-sup-surf-coaching-analysis/

https://supnsurfretreat.com/locations/punta-mita-mexico

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »
Oh wow you guys are great! I know it was a lot of reading but I am glad I explained where we are coming from.  Oh cool the Grand Palladium looks PERFECT. I see their next SUP retreat is May 4-8, 2021, hey maybe we'll all be vaccinated by then and instead of waiting a year we can go earlier! I am checking out now, finding and loading up the Youtube videos...
GL1 and GL2 quads

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Plus One on Punta de Mita - so many options for surfing and very easy to access via inexpensive and friendly boat hire.  We stay right on the beach at a cheap hotel - Meson de Mita - which is clean, friendly, has a great pool and an easy walk right into the water and paddle out to a couple mellow SUP breaks.  The town itself is pretty minimal - some great food but not much else.  Sayulita is a wonderful day trip away for more of a shopping vibe and a super crowded surf scene.  Cant wait to gt through this damn pandemic and return asap!
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 03:11:39 PM »
I would honestly sick with staying home. It's hard for me to imagine why anyone wold want to travel overseas right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal