Author Topic: Any Tropical Surf Destinations for Dec 2020 during the Pandemic?  (Read 7779 times)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi- my wife and have our 25th anniversary Dec 27 and I can get that week off work. I am a dual US & Canadian citizen and I currently live near Toronto in Canada (and I've SUP surfed 3 great lakes now). Before covid, she said we can go anywhere in the world where you can SUP surf and I can have all inclusive (mostly for the drinks). So I was looking into Mexico (Mexican Pipeline?), somewhere in the Caribbean (shorter flight), Hawaii (but we lived there, so would not be new), California (have friends there), and I was even dreaming of flying us to French Polynesia / Bora Bora or Tahiti.  Now that COVID happened, and I am worried about getting it (esp the long-term effects) and right now our plans are to stay home and postpone the celebration. However, I think our new credit card offers some type of 2-week health insurance to cover COVID, and I am thinking.. MAYBE there is some place tropical we could still go - with a low likelihood of getting COVID, but decent hospitals in case we did? I've sort of ruled out Florida, Hawaii (with the recent re-opening I am worried), California, Nicaragua (I was told too dangerous due to the recent coop), Costa Rica (a friend's surf camp shut down, cases seem to be building), Brazil. I was thinking about Cuba, but it looks like it's hard to get or find gear to rent. I was thinking maybe of Europe such as Spain or Portugal, but now Canadians are going to be banned from travelling to Europe too. Any ideas?
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Any Tropical Surf Destinations for Dec 2020 during the Pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:48:33 AM »
Hey, Marvin..  I was a dually for a while!  ' Pretty sure even if I begged, they would not let me back in. Someone earlier mentioned Puerto Rico, but I question if the infrastructure is yet intact.  Next door - the Dominican is still active but w/o large breaks. I cannot see why you would not entertain CR? ...if you're willing to consider Califorina?!  The simple math suggests 'lower density = lower probability'.  (The Whitehouse proves the exception - but they were trying..)

I would also let it hinge on 'the fewer the connections - the better'.   I'd also discard the notion of 'all inclusive' - they're little more than grounded cruise ships.  As Princess Lines has well demonstrated; corporations care about cash flow first. 

It might be wise to wait for a proven (maybe not the first one we offer...) vaccine and delay that 25th. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
Good point on the travel and resort. Direct flights of course reduce airport time and with them the number of people around.

If you could, avoid a high rise resort. If not, stay on a lower floor so you can use the stairs. We were recently in a place in SD and the only time we really felt exposed was in the elevator. People were lax about masks and, sure, maybe the exposure is short but over time you really build up a lot of exposures.

We’ve not traveled much this year.  But locally we’ve choosing Airbnb type rentals so we can eat in and reduce interactions. Not as fun, but... it’s 2020, right?

One note, did you just mention SUP surfing Puerto Escondido? If so, send video.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
While the Caribbean was opening up the last couple of months, with the recent surge in new Covid  cases in the US and UK, their policies are changing quickly.
Yes you can travel to many of the Caribbean islands, but for many you must quarantine, sometimes up to 14 days.  Not sure you want to spend your vacation in mandatory quarantine,
Keep checking articles like this below.  I am constantly checking, and it seems with each day, another island opens or closes ..such uncertain times, and with winter and flu season coming on top of Covid, I can’t see islands loosening rules but just the opposite ...good luck

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 07:06:49 AM »
Thanks for mentoining 'elevators', Cowboy.  I live in a rural area with acreage as the principal dimension rather than elevation.  I would not get in a f-ing elevator today.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 07:16:43 AM »
I'm looking at St. Martin mostly for kiting, but sounds like Costa Rica - Nosara fits the bill pretty well.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
Maybe Cabarete, Dominican Republic....I think the DR has pretty lax requirements . Great surf on the north shore anywhere from Puerto Plata to Cabarete...also really good winds for kiting r wing foiling/surfing.

relatively inexpensive compared to much of the Caribbean.  Easy flights to DR as well.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry for my late reply. These were awesome tips. Caribsurf - that website is a great resource.

I probably should have not "biased" the thread by mentioning certain countries - I actually know next to nothing about either the surf anywhere other than Hawaii, California, or the Great Lakes, nor do I no anything about the actual COVID cases / conditions / situation anywhere other than Ontario.

Regardless, this thread helped me get a good feel about possibilities for our 25th Anniversary celebration trip, whenever it happens - in December or next year after things get better (hopefully) COVID-wise.

After initially leaning towards DR, I am rapidly gravitating toward CR. I asked some friends about both, and I was told DR is a place where you probably should stay on your resort and they have security on the resort etc. This was also a single woman saying that though. When we went to Jamaica 25 years ago it was kind of like that - not that you couldn't go off the resort - but if you did you really should know what you are doing, what to expect etc.

I was told CR is very different, it was suggested it's almost like staying in the US or Canada. A friend here in Canada tells me some of his friends own places on the West coast and go there all the time. Interesting. I wonder if it is even more American than Hawaii ? Living in Hawaii, it almost felt like a different country, and many people including me would sometimes slipped up saying "when I go to the US" and had to correct ourselves saying "when I go to the mainland..."  I see the official language of CR is French.

So I am honing in on the idea of Nosara CR like one of the folks above. In part because I was also watching youtube videos about SUP surfing from a company called "Blue Zone SUP" - and I guess they even hold SUP surf camps regularly. So this seems to be "the" place to be!

I could use a few lessons (see my other threads) - that sounds like it would be quite exciting - to either go to a camp or at least get some lessons from them while I am there. I think they have their own residence /resort - but not sure if it is all-inclusive/ luxurious like my wife is looking for.

If not - any good all-inclusive luxury resorts in Nasara? For Nosara, would I fly into Liberia (LLY), and rent a car to get to Nasara? If I need to rent a good surf sup, are their rental places along the beach?

Lastly, anyone know how the COVID situation is right now in Nasara? My mother-in-law and brother-in-law are dying so for that reason too we most likely won't go this December. But there are says where I just want to say screw it, and book it.
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
Couple of things, I never heard anyone speak anything but Spanish and English in CR. Maybe some confusion there.

Also, Nosara is pretty small. If your wife is chill, that'll work but if she was thinking of an all inclusive that's quite a ways from what Nosara is. It's cool, but just a different vibe.

Check Diria in Tamarindo. It might be a good compromise. But I may be missing the mark. If I could choose I'd take Nosara but, happy Wife, happy life as they say.

https://www.tamarindodiria.com/

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
Highly recommend Nosara over Tamarindo, the guys at Blue Zone are great too. I may sneak down there in February to foil.

Do it and go to Nosara, you won't regret it.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »
Nosara is great. I would highly recommend it. I just moved back to the states after living there for a year. Great SUP surf opportunities on multiple beaches, nice boutique hotels that would be perfect to celebrate an anniversary, world class food, perfect weather in December, and you will do fine without Spanish. Both Nosara Paddle Surf and Bluezone SUP offer lessons and might be willing to rent equipment to you. Places to stay depend on your budget. Looking for places with fantastic restaurants, pools, spas, etc.? The Guilded iguana, Harmony Hotel, Moana Surf Resort, Lagarta Lodge. I wouldn’t rent a car. Any hotel with arrange an airport pickup for $125.
L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 07:30:22 PM »
Tyler, thx for the fresh info. And yes, I agree get your hotel to send a driver. Once you're in town you're good and renting in CR is a pain.

Tyler M

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
The current Covid situation in Nosara is mild. Few cases in the region. Businesses are taking safe precautions and local medical center is coordinating a large scale testing effort starting early December.
L41 or Infinity boards around 100 liters

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »
I will say the one advantage to a vehicle, well there's a few, but you can check out Garza/Ostional, etc. and get away from Guiones which can be packed (maybe not with COVID). The drive from Liberia, especially in the dry season is easy. You can take the beach route or the inland route, beach route has some river crossings, so just keep that in mind. I've always rented a car and spent some time in Nosara and some time in Avellanas (which is beautiful), Playa Negro, that area.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »
APPST what was your rental experience like? Did they accept your credit card insurance? I've heard CR is weird about that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal