Author Topic: Are cracks in PVC fairly common ?  (Read 7713 times)

Kip

Are cracks in PVC fairly common ?
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:45:11 PM »
Well, I guess I’m glad I didn’t delete my account after all  sorry to any of you who noticed my drunken Jay and Silent bob rap post ... im a moron haha

Anyways, I have a PVC blend board and noticed this crack in it today.
I can’t recall bumping it against anything. It is probable that I whacked it with my paddle on a 30+mph downwind day.

I also have another little crack in the top from I-don’t-know-what.

I generally carry it in bag, have dakine pads, and try to be careful during transport. 

I haven’t noticed any water getting in or any additional weight, but applied a thin layer of epoxy as a precaution (not shown in photo - and doesn’t look awesome, but logic tells me it will seal the crack if there was a risk).

Just wondering how often this happens to you all and what y’all do for maintaining on stuff like this. It’s gonna end up being a spendy sport if I’m dropping 2K + on boards and then they’re getting thrashed the same year!

Thanks in advance. You guys are great.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:32:30 PM by Kip »

supthecreek

Re: Are cracks in PVC fairly common ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 03:53:54 AM »
Bumps happen....

I never trust Epoxy alone.... even though it very flexible.
Being a lazy repair guy, I generally just throw a good quality sticker over any minor damage. or you could use Gorilla tape or something similar.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:19:04 AM »
My first thought when I saw it was 'sticker or rub tape' but thought it a cheezy suggestion in this highly professional forum   ...but, now that Ricky said it. 

Besides, how much would you weaken the lamiate to get-onto-it with power tools, dissimilar chemistry, etc  ...perhaps only to end up with a barnacle perhaps soon to fall off.  Take it to a pro if you consider it terribly precious.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Kip

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
Good to know!

I like the hood sticker idea.

Appreciate the feedback.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
I've pretty much quit doing traditional repairs after weighing one of my boards after repairing several dings. Three relatively small repairs added a pound. I use aluminum tape for all repairs now, and it doesn't add enough weight to measure the difference, even with a fairly precise three-sensor digital scale. If you use a credit card to burnish the tape flat and use two layers it's pretty much a permanent repair. Not pretty--unless you like shiny stuff--but effective.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »
I've pretty much quit doing traditional repairs after weighing one of my boards after repairing several dings. Three relatively small repairs added a pound. I use aluminum tape for all repairs now, and it doesn't add enough weight to measure the difference, even with a fairly precise three-sensor digital scale. If you use a credit card to burnish the tape flat and use two layers it's pretty much a permanent repair. Not pretty--unless you like shiny stuff--but effective.

Any specific brand or product? Thank you Pono.
If it is not resin then....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:10:22 PM »
I don't think the crack goes through the PVC. It would be a more torn apart looking break if it actually went into the PVC. I've seen this recently on an epoxy longboard that I pickup for free, but the fin box needed to be replaced. I gave it to Kernel to have fun with. The whole deck had these long stress cracks about 3 to 4 inches long. They run in the rail to rail direction and they were in in groups of 3 or 4 spaced about 1/2" apart. Like the board had been flexed beyond it's limit and the hot coat cracked. The board had a ton of them but didn't appear to have taken on water.
Kernel has already been out surfing it.
You could sand it, and just throw a little epoxy and glass over it. You'll never see it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »
. It’s gonna end up being a spendy sport if I’m dropping 2K + on boards and then they’re getting thrashed the same year!
[/quote]

That’s not thrashed lol. Ask me and Pono for some pics of our gear. I purposely didn’t finish my last board that well just so I could not worry if it got scratched.

But sadly, and ironically the higher end the board, the easier they tend to be to damage. If you’ve ever owned a polyester resin surfboard you know. If not, and if you’re coming from kayaks or canoes then sort of think if you were carrying the hood of your new car around and laying it on a rocky shore or beach. Yeah, it’s almost that bad.

In good news (bad news?) most dings happen in transit and not in the water. But there’s a reason the Shape Shack is a popular board here.

Kip

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 07:41:50 PM »
. It’s gonna end up being a spendy sport if I’m dropping 2K + on boards and then they’re getting thrashed the same year!

That’s not thrashed lol. Ask me and Pono for some pics of our gear. I purposely didn’t finish my last board that well just so I could not worry if it got scratched.

But sadly, and ironically the higher end the board, the easier they tend to be to damage. If you’ve ever owned a polyester resin surfboard you know. If not, and if you’re coming from kayaks or canoes then sort of think if you were carrying the hood of your new car around and laying it on a rocky shore or beach. Yeah, it’s almost that bad.

In good news (bad news?) most dings happen in transit and not in the water. But there’s a reason the Shape Shack is a popular board here.
[/quote]

Thanks dude !

I’ve never really had experience with water craft or Carbon shit coming from an ultra running background, so There it is! Do little repairs and ride it till I can’t !

P.s. would love to see what thrashed really looks like haha

Kip

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »

I like that ! Thanks for the idea man!

Kip

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:36 PM »
TallDude,

If I had any idea how to glass or what that even is, I’d totally do it  haha ;D

I just did a thin layer of epoxy, put some packing tape over it, let it set, removed the tape, did an ultra fine sanding. Probably gonna rope it with a sticker cause it doesn’t look profesh, but hey! I’m learning. I like PonoBills idea too. I’ll just have to ride this SOB till I break it on a HONKIN’ Downwind day

Kip

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
For the small top crack I dabbed a little epoxy, applied some electrical tape, let it set, sanded it down. And then applied this SICK ASS STICKER!

Thanks guys

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 10:54:58 AM »
The link is empty.

Yes, Admin gets hives just looking at my boards. I recently applied a neatly trimmed piece of aluminum tape to a leaker ding Chan got in her foilboard. They both looked at me like I had farted loudly. I'm reasonably certain they replaced the board.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:02:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Kip

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 08:46:58 PM »
Let’s see if that works.

One more question for you guys while I have you here (and while I’m screwing up my board 😂 lol).

I was doing this little sticker fix and decided to install another handle and the screws were stripping a bit so I was pushing hard, slipped, the tip of the drill punctured the deck pad and went in maybe 1/4 inch. Pulled the pad back, filled the hole with epoxy and then put the pad back down. Sufficient ? Idk why I’m banging up this board.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
Sufficient ?
If it leaks, then no.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM