Author Topic: Who is working with Innegra? Here are a few things the Innegra rep told me...  (Read 12298 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I suggest carbon or s glass with innegra. Keep it light.
 https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,36642.msg422362.html#msg422362
Here's a pic of 3.5 innegra over 5.7 carbon. Bagged the carbon and hand layed the innegra. No fiberglass.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Did you have issues like Pono with the corners lifting up?  I cite his example as I have had similar experience with spray glue letting go once the cloth was wet out.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spray the rails and cloth covering the rails only with 3M Adhesive 71 Spray, Clear Hi-Tack Composite Spray, then tape while putting tension on the cloth. Glass the rails, let tack then the rest. I use the rails for my lap line.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The advantage of using the glue is it's easy to reposition the cloth as needed. You can stretch and compress the cloth. No pie cuts..

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ready for the fill coat

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nice job on your board. 
I just built a wingboard using 4.8 oz Carbon/Innegra twill.  Covered with 4 oz e-glass with an extra 4 oz e-glass under the standing area.  Vacuum bagged with 4-6 in Hg(? units).  Used a tackifier to stick the cloth to the foam prior to wetting out with epoxy resin and putting into the bag.  Alls I gotta say is this stuff is tough.  1st day out I dropped the board onto some very sharp edged granite boulders while negotiating some seaweed covered rocks.  Not a ding.  I have since whacked it against many more rocks.  Still no damage.  As far as wetting it out and seeing if its properly wet out-  not a problem.  There is enough of a color change in the Innegra to know you have fully wet out the cloth.  It becomes somewhat translucent and a little darker. Pretty sure I will continue to use Innegra for any future boards.  The carbon ran longitudinally and the Innegra ran transversely with the twill I used which was perfect.  I did not need to use unidirectional carbon tape down the center of board to make up for lack of stringer.  Definitely need to put glass over Innegra for sanding purposes.  Innegra does not sand, it just fuzzes.  I finished with filling the weave with microballoons and resin slurry, sanded this and coated with resin.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 06:41:11 AM by SUPeter »

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Nice job on your board. 
I just built a wingboard using 4.8 oz Carbon/Innegra twill.  Covered with 4 oz e-glass with an extra 4 oz e-glass under the standing area.  Vacuum bagged with 4-6 in Hg(? units).  Used a tackifier to stick the cloth to the foam prior to wetting out with epoxy resin and putting into the bag.  Alls I gotta say is this stuff is tough.  1st day out I dropped the board onto some very sharp edged granite boulders while negotiating some seaweed covered rocks.  Not a ding.  I have since whacked it against many more rocks.  Still no damage.  As far as wetting it out and seeing if its properly wet out-  not a problem.  There is enough of a color change in the Innegra to know you have fully wet out the cloth.  It becomes somewhat translucent and a little darker. Pretty sure I will continue to use Innegra for any future boards.  The carbon ran longitudinally and the Innegra ran transversely with the twill I used which was perfect.  I did not need to use unidirectional carbon tape down the center of board to make up for lack of stringer.  Definitely need to put glass over Innegra for sanding purposes.  Innegra does not sand, it just fuzzes.  I finished with filling the weave with microballoons and resin slurry, sanded this and coated with resin.

Can you throw a picture up?

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Spray the rails and cloth covering the rails only with 3M Adhesive 71 Spray, Clear Hi-Tack Composite Spray, then tape while putting tension on the cloth. Glass the rails, let tack then the rest. I use the rails for my lap line.

interesting. so your pulling the cloth itself tight with tape, then laminating the rails, waiting for partial cure (tackiness) and then completing the lamination.

I may try this although it does put the kibosh on my wet out table plan. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal