Author Topic: Help with equipment choices  (Read 2610 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help with equipment choices
« on: March 14, 2020, 10:14:18 AM »
Hi, new here.  Kite foiler in Florida who is committed to winging and will be at the Gorge for 2 months this summer.  I have 2 hours experience and am able to ride in both directions but haven't flown yet.  (borrowed foil)

I am sure a lot of my questions have been covered but the collective experience and equipment is evolving so fast, the answers might help others too.

70 kg.  I have a 5 m Swing, 5-10 F-One Rocket Board (90 L) and Armstrong 2400 and 1600 on order.  I want to get a second wing, keeping my Gorge trip in mind.  Considering either a 3.5 Swing or 3.6 new Naish.  Any input on this appreciated.  Also, what is the current favorite leash harness?

Thanks

Phil

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Help with equipment choices
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
Stay within the same brand wing. It will allow your instincts to work better. Also, don’t order anything without confirmation it’s actually in stock. Chinese factories are affecting supply.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
Thanks, that is probably the correct choice but I forgot to mention that I have a $350 store credit that expires at the end of the month and they carry Naish, but not  F-one.  I know, first world problems.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:40 PM »
Hi Phils,

You are in for an amazing summer!  The 5.0 and 3.5 Swing will cover most Gorge wind days.  You may want to add a size or two later but those are the two to start with. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
Wanted to update some info which other  newbies might find helpful.  70 kg, kitefoiler started with 5"10" 90L, F-One Rocket Wing which I found too difficult to learn on.  Purchased a Jimmy Lewis 6"5" 115 L board with has really helped my progression.  I am trying to learn to ride on both tacks from the beginning and found weak side foiling impossible with my 90 L board.  Session 7 today as a real break through day (15 MPH avg, Naish 5.3), as I was able to pump up to foil in both directions and come around to toeside once.  Other changes I have found helpful is moving my mast all the way forward, adding a -2 shim to my Armstrong 2400 for more lift and a quiver of Naish S25s.  This forum has been very helpful and I hope to make useful contributions to it in the future.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 08:50:09 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal